Should I count fruits and vegetables as part of my daily cal

Options
I gained one pound since yesterday even though I believed I had eaten a good amount of calories. I'm afraid it might have to do with "starvation mode" but I'm also wondering if my not counting fruits and vegetables I eat has anything to do with it. Thank you!

Replies

• Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    You should count everything you eat. Some people even count vitamins, mustard and stuff like that. Fruit can have a significant amount of cals. Non starchy veggies are usually less caloric but can still add up.

1 lb of weight in one day is likely water. If you were heavy on sodium or Flo is about to visit it can be caused by that.

Can't see what you have in your diary but if you aren't logging everything you eat then the cal count is wrong anyway.
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    As the above poster stated, everything should be counted. I know that on the WW points system, most fruits and veggies are 0 points, but this is a lot different from their plan. Everything should be eaten in moderation, and counted. Good luck!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I gained one pound since yesterday even though I believed I had eaten a good amount of calories. I'm afraid it might have to do with "starvation mode" but I'm also wondering if my not counting fruits and vegetables I eat has anything to do with it. Thank you!

well, if you ate it, it's still a calorie in, right?

I'm not of the mind that you have to track every single bite. at least, many people don't. but you have to know how to manage that, too, and keep that non-logged bite in mind as you watch your calorie total.

but since yesterday ... that's where you get into trouble, too. your weight will fluctuate as much as 5 pounds throughout a day. weigh at the same time every time you weigh, wearing/not wearing the same thing. personally, I weigh every tuesday. that's it. no sense in stressing over it five times a day. plus, nice to see a bigger number jump off every week.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Do fruits and vegetables have calories? Yes.

Thus you should count them.

Fruits especially can have a decent amount of calories! A small Honey Crisp apple? 80 calories. A small banana? 90 calories.

To do it right, you should count whatever goes in your mouth.
  • EvaJ20
    EvaJ20 Posts: 33
    Options
    Yes, I would. They add up. :)
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    Exactly an apple is around 100 cals, you eat three of them and there is an extra 300 cals over your daily goal!
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Yes. Log everything you eat. A banana is like 100 calories. Thats a lot of cals to ignore
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    lol one banana has more carbs than a slice of bread. Of course you need to include ALL of it into your diary.
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Especially if you are paying attention to your macro's. Days where I eat apples I go over my sugars... even though they are "good" sugars, you still want to keep and eye on it.

Keep up the good work and log it all! I even log my mini-cheats (Ex. 1 cheeto).
  • Tajdancer
    Tajdancer Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm actually starting to slough off logging *some* of my veggie cals, like spinach and mushrooms, and salad greens and asparagus. I'll count the oil I've sauteed them in, but if it looks like about a half- to full-cup of something low-cal like those, I don't bother.

Slippery slope, I know. :blushing:
  • jbuntu
    jbuntu Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    We should count all calories consumed, even the good ones.

Don't weigh in every day. Water retention changes too much and causes frustration. Try weighing yourself once per week, preferably at the same time of day.
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I only count fruit and some veggies.. :o
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I count it all, partially for the calories, partially for the macros, and partially for the micros (example - mixed greens are an excellent source of vitamins A and C, and a good source of iron as well).
  • heidiski
    heidiski Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for you help!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

I would ALWAYS count the calories in fruit and veg.

Example, I often eat four large oranges per day. Each orange contains somewhere in the region of 70 calories -
    4 x 70 = 280 calories.

Now if I did not count the fruit, I would be out by 280 calories per day which would be 1960 calories per week.

That's a lot of calories to ignore, in fact, it is over half a pound weightloss - per week!

If something has calories in it, include it in your daily allowance :)
  • heidiski
    heidiski Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. The thing is that I used to count fruits and veggies, but when I didn't, that didn't seem to affect anything. Only recently did it seem to do that, so I'll just start counting them again. Thanks!