Running...a struggle all of a sudden.

Options
Okay, keep in mind that I am still a newbie runner. However, a few weeks ago, I was up to running 4.0 miles (albeit slowly) without feeling like I was going to die at/near the end. I run 2-3 times a week and was trying to do a 2, 3, and a 4 mile each week. The last couple of times I have run, I can BARELY make it 3 miles and when I do, I have to stop and walk several times. I'm not sure what's going on.

In my head the possible causes are: 1. weather change from cold to humid, 2. muscle fatigue (I have been changing up my strength training routines and not having a full rest day during the week 3. weak mind. :)

Has anyone had this happen or have any suggestions as to how I can get through this?

Replies

• dru_howard
    Options
    bump
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough carbs to fuel your runs?

Karen
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Try taking a few extra days off and start back up. One guess, is you are going a little faster than you had been and tiring yourself out faster than you realize you are. Are you stretching really really well? And are you wearing good shoes? All things when starting to run you may not realize the importance of.

I always have my best runs after taking some extra time off.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    How significant of a temperature change? Heat and humidity can really cramp your style if you're accustomed to running in cooler temperatures. I had the most miserable run of my life last year when the weather went from pleasant and spring like to full blown summer heat & humidity practically overnight and I went out mid-day. Try running when it's cooler, early morning or in the evening.

Take your rest day, fatigue is cumulative and overtraining can result in poor form for both running and strength training which significantly increases the risk of injuring yourself.

If you've significantly upped your strength routine don't worry about dialing back your mileage for a little while (unless you're training for an upcoming race - then dial back the strength a bit)
  • dru_howard
    Options
    The temperature went from highs of 30-40 mid-day to 75-80 with 70% humidity. Not HOT by any means but a pretty drastic change. I haven't been resting because I feel like running (11 min./mile pace - very slow) just 30 or so minutes one day is not enough to justify a day of doing nothing.

I have been doing some intense body weight strength training routines a couple times a week that are leaving me sore for several days afterwards. I'm just not sure what the best mix of cardio/strength is for me. I love the way the strength changes my body but really want to be a runner as well.

I haven't really paid attention to what I'm eating directly or a few hours before I run so that may be a good idea to tune into that more.

I signed up for my first 1/2 marathon in October and really feel like I need to be running at least 3 times a week 3-4 miles each at this point just to get my body accustomed to that before I start building up my endurance later this summer.
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you live, but could the pollen be a factor at all? I know it is horrible here in Georgia where I live and even though it does not normally bother me, right now it is definitely dragging me down.
  • dru_howard
    Options
    I'm in Missouri...could be the pollen. Typically doesn't bother me, but to be honest, I've never really had an active lifestyle in the Spring before. :happy:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    There could be lots of reasons - I've had a few phases in the last year where i just seem to lose my running mojo and it feels like hard work. I don't know exactly why - could be change in eating habits, less sleep, starting weight training, general fatigue... or just "one of those things".
    My advice is to run through it. Perhaps drop your runs down to 3, 3 and 4 miles for a week or two then build back up again.
    And don't underestimate the importance of rest, your body needs time to repair all the little stress tears that happen when you are exercising. It's good for your mind too!
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    It could be the humidity. In the middle of last summer I was up to 8 miles with no issues and when the humidity hit, I could barely eke out 4 miles and felt sickish for a long time after. I started running at 6 am just to avoid the worst of it, at least you don't have the sun beating on you at that hour. But keep trucking - I ran my first half last fall and did fine:) You will too.
  • Ginpugh36
    Ginpugh36 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Same thing has happened to me, I am thinking that its the strength training classes I am taking. I was doing great until I added those. I do a short 15 min workout/cardio a week plus a 1 hour cardio/strength training class (continuous movement) also. Plus I am running on the days I am not training. My motivation is lacking and my stamina is lacking. I am going to change my eating and see if that helps. Thanks for starting this topic.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It's the heat, it makes a big difference. Stick with it and your body will acclimate in about two weeks.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    This is happening to me too, and I think it has a lot to do with adding strength training. I thought it was just me, and just in my head. I also noticed that since I have increased my speed, I can't run nearly as far. I try to run slower, but then I feel like I'm not pushing myself. Thanks for posting this, I would love to see the advice.

PS: I usually run indoors, so for me the weather hasn't been a factor.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Most likely not enough rest, especially if your strength training routine is pretty intense.

Nutrition, Exercise, Rest. These are the 3 fundamentals. You can't skimp on any of them.
  • Eandretta96
    Eandretta96 Posts: 119
    Options
    I would say number 2 maybe. I don't really know about carbs because im doing low carb and ive been doing better with cardio ever since i started doing low carb.
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have been going through the same thing recently. I'm certain that the weather is a big factor, but I think I noticed the fatigue after I started incorporating strength training and yoga into my routine. I decided to just stick with it but reduce the running time some days. It seems like I've gotten my momentum back now. I just started the Bridge to 10K program yesterday to help me increase my speed and distance.
  • BJRW
    BJRW Posts: 7
    Options
    Check out some of the articles at www.boiserunwalk.com It has some great ones on fueling and form that might help.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    humidity will kill my running mojo for a couple of weeks and then I get used to it. Make sure you are getting adequate calories and with the additional sweating, replacing your magnesium. Iron levels may also be a factor. Less iron means less oxygen to those working muscles.
  • WatchMomRun
    Options
    The same thing happened to me. I attributed it to weight lifting, spin classes, step classes, etc in between my running days. Since then I've backed way off everything but the running and I am no longer having the problem.

I kind of hate that, because I really do feel I need to strength train. I am going to start up lifting again and see how it goes and maybe eliminate all the CLASSES in between.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm sure heat plays a role. But when I run, I definitely can tell a difference in performance/endurance based on my diet.
  • PrincessNariko
    Options
    Im guessing you are overtrained. I run 40-50 K's a week and I'm in excellent shape. Sometimes I get exhausted after a few K's, and then I know that I have overtrained. Most ppl don't listen to their body and pushes them self even harder when this occurs and it only makes it worse.

You don't suddenly become in worse shape when you exercise regually. Take a few days off and eat nutrious food and let you body restore.

After a few days of rest I'm sure that you will feel the difference.