Treadmill running

Options
I have been running at home on my treadmill but my running doesn't seem to get much better even though I have been trying to do different things. I started off being able to run for 10 mins, I increased it to 15 mins, then I switched it up by walking at a very high incline. I try to spend 90 mins a day on a treadmill and some days it's not all at once. I'll do an hour in the morning and 30 mins before bed. I thought that doing my walking at a high incline would help with my running but it's really not, in my opinion, but I'll see what you think.

When I started, I was able to run/walk 5 miles in an hour. I was able to increase this to 6 miles in an hour but that's it and my body is dying at 7 mins of running now. My body seems to be a much better speed walker. What else can I do? More walking at an incline? I'm also trying to run at a higher incline but it's not by too much just yet. My treadmill will go up to 7 in incline and does it by .5. I'm up to walking at a 7 incline and trying to run at the 2.0 incline. I do try to run outside but I live in England and running in rainy weather is not my cup of tea although the weather is getting better. So I could try that. Give me ideas of how you increased your running! Thanks for any input!

Might I include that I haven't been a runner since highschool and I'm pushing 30. So I'm just getting back into this the past few months.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Here's a suggestion that may help. Go back to running at 5.0mph but increase your incline to 2.5 or 3 and see how you feel trying to run 15 minutes. When you can run comfortably at 5.0mph and an incline of 3.5 start increasing the speed in small increments (going from 6.0 to 6.0mph is a 20% gain( if your treadmill does the .1 mph increments bump it up .2 at a time) and see how that works.
  • scompton54
    scompton54 Posts: 116
    Options
    You might also want to try interval training.....1 or 2 minutes of hard running with 1 or 2 minutes of fast walking. Increase the time of running as you handle it more, and increase the time in total over time. This will certainly increase your endurance.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    How long have you been back to running?

I do only interval and speed training on the dreadmill and find that my form and skill are much better outdoors, the treadmill is my fall back in bad weather and for specific speed training, so not sure if you will want my suggestions or not.

I would try some intervals on the treadmill - start at 4 mph warm up for 1 mile - then run at 5.5 mph for 800 meters - then rest for 400 meters and run again at 5.5, do it two or three times and work up to higher speeds and longer distances. It really depends on what your goals are - speed or distance. If you are working up for distance, keep the speed slower and go further - even if it's just one more "lap" (mine has a screen of 400 meter laps).

I personally don't think walking at an incline really would do much to help with running. I've read both that you should do a 2.0 incline when running and that you don't need to. I never do, and my training has been just fine w/o it. I still run much faster outdoors.
  • scompton54
    scompton54 Posts: 116
    Options
    btw...are you really a chef? I am too, but now teach :)
  • Paigepres
    Paigepres Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It was always a goal of mine to learn how to run. I really enjoy interval training and have seen my progress. I started out by doing a jog/walk combo where I jogged at 4.5mph for 2 min and walked at 2.5 mp until I caught my breath. After a week or so I increased this to jogging at 5.5mph for 2 min and walking at 3.5mph. Before I knew it jogging turned into running at 6.5mph for 2 min and fast walking at 4mph. Now I sprint at 7.5mph for 3 min and walk for 2 min at 4mph. I repeat this until I reach 30 min.

Good luck :)
  • Masterchef2000
    Masterchef2000 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!

Mib929, I started walking back in August and then running in November and then took a bit of a break and am now back at it again.

Scompton54, no I am not a professional chef. I love to cook and everyone loves what I cook but my name is actually after the Australian Masterchef show. I love it. I adore cooking for my friends and family but would never do it as a job. I don't have enough passion for it. :-)
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Here's a suggestion that may help. Go back to running at 5.0mph but increase your incline to 2.5 or 3 and see how you feel trying to run 15 minutes. When you can run comfortably at 5.0mph and an incline of 3.5 start increasing the speed in small increments (going from 6.0 to 6.0mph is a 20% gain( if your treadmill does the .1 mph increments bump it up .2 at a time) and see how that works.

+1

When I have to run on a treadmill I make the incline 2.0 or above to simulate the effort running outside takes.
  • najla56
    najla56 Posts: 195 Member
    Options

I personally don't think walking at an incline really would do much to help with running. I've read both that you should do a 2.0 incline when running and that you don't need to. I never do, and my training has been just fine w/o it. I still run much faster outdoors.

in last months helth magazine, it says walking on an incline works your butts and thighs, but not much help to running
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    You might also want to try interval training.....1 or 2 minutes of hard running with 1 or 2 minutes of fast walking. Increase the time of running as you handle it more, and increase the time in total over time. This will certainly increase your endurance.

I have a tredmill at home, and live in England, so I know who you feel, I do the above that quoted, you have to mix it up. Also 90mins aday is quite a lot, stick to 30-45 mins but push yourself harder!