I want to lose 100lbs

Options
I need some tips on losing weight. I have been going to the gym a lot and wiring out on the treadmill or on the elliptical for 30-60mins. I have started to count my calories but still have been eating whatever I wanted as long as it fit under my calorie goal for the day. I haves weighed myself yet and probably will tomorrow but I need some gym tips and some dieting tips. Please help. I did weight watchers for a while and was pleased with it but found myself not sticking to it. I find myself hungry between meals and i'm not sure what to eat. I'm also hungry after 10pm, is it ok to just eat fruits then?

Replies

• iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hello.. first of all let me start off by saying well done..its hard to push yourself to go to the gym..trust me I understand!! staying within a calorie range can be tricky..If your still eating "what ever you want" then those things may be higher in calories and you will find yourself being more hungry quicker..try adding more protein in your diet such as having eggs or lean meats..I find that if I have more protein in the morning that I am full all the way up until lunch. Try to plan out your meals the night before that way you know what you want and when you are hungry you can just have what you planned rather then grabbing something higher in calories...I find this to work better for me because when I am hungry it is easier for me to not follow my diet. It is fine to eat later as long as your staying within your daily calorie limits. I just recently started making my own popcorn at night and I add chili powder and garlic and sea salt and pepper..its so yummy and its like 35 cals for a ton! http://www.squawkfox.com/2010/07/27/popcorn-recipe-gourmet-popcorn/
    I snack alot throughout the day I usually will have raw almonds or hummus with special k cracker chips..you can have 30 chips for 110 cals! The trick is to not get discouraged..your doing something for yourself to be healthy.. dont be hard on yourself you can do it but it does take time..have faith in yourself because your worth it :heart: :happy:
  • EgyptianMushroom
    EgyptianMushroom Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    30 chips!? :noway:

I need to go buy some of those! :flowerforyou:
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    30 chips!? :noway:

I need to go buy some of those! :flowerforyou:

YES you really do...I LOVE LOVE LOVE them:heart: I buy the sea salt ones but they have cheddar...sour cream and onion which I have tried and I really like.
  • ZumbaBeast86
    Options
    I'm on the 100 pound goal as well, and it's hard to get started and stick to it. It's just for me, I've yo-yo'ed so many times in so many years, and I finally feel like this is my last chance to take care of things. I just turned 26 and I have so many resources at my disposal, that it's insane if I don't do anything about it.

As far as meals go, I would start planning meals like iluxoxo said. It really helps to stay on track. Check out websites for really yummy yummy meals that aren't going to go overboard with calories. I love love love Emilybites.com. It's weight-watcher's friendly recipes that are SUPER yummy. If you are still eating "whatever I like" then I wouldn't expect to see much, if any, change in your weight loss. For example: I started taking Zumba classes in December, and after class I felt so good about the work I did I figured I could have a few slices of pizza or whatever else was just a quick frozen dinner meal. However, I failed to realize that those meals are loaded with fats, sodium, and empty calories that have no use except to be stored away as extra fat. I was seeing no results. When I started counting calories and trimming back what I was eating to better things like proteins, fruits, veggies, healthier fats and carbs, and every once in awhile I allow myself a small splurge (let's face it...without a piece of cake or a bowl of ice cream, we would all go nuts!). I also drink a TON of water in a day. I have a 72oz bottle that I refill about 2 times, depending on the day. Getting all the water in ensures that things are being flushed out and cleansed. Also, staying hydrated helps with keeping your insides nice and healthy.

This is all just my opinion, so feel free to discard anything you like. In a typical day, though, my meals are pretty lean, with maybe one or two days a week that have a higher calorie meal in there. Like today here's what I had to eat: Breakfast was two large eggs, 1/4 sharp cheddar cheese, 100 calorie pack pear halves w natural sugars; Lunch was string cheese, kangaroo pita chips, and an apple; Afternoon snack was the same pita chips (they are so damn addictive); Dinner was a smoothie made with ice, non fat greek yogurt, strawberries, pineapple, and honey. I'm also on my 170oz mark for water. I'm full in a really good way. Now tomorrow, I might have something a little heavier to compensate for having a 1200 calorie burn from Zumba class.

Best of luck to you through your journey! We're all here with you! And remember. WE CAN DO THIS!! :D
  • chunkymonkey414
    chunkymonkey414 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, first of all let me just say this, I don't think I've ever had so much support from anyone besides my boyfriend! It's amazing what little words someone can say and you're happy and motivated. I can do this, I know I can. I did weight watchers and lost 25lbs in 3months so I know I can do this. I don't like veggies so I need some yummy suggestions?

@Zumbakrazy86 - I will definitely look into that website you suggested. Weight Watchers was so much easier than counting your calories because I ate whatever I wanted and still got results. However, I know that you are right. I do need to watch what I eat. I often eat those 100 calorie packs for a snack and my breakfast is usually a bagel with cream cheese and for dinner, I eat whatever I can find. I try to drink lots of water but it doesn't fill me. Maybe i'm not drinking enough? I have no idea but I have been going to the gym a lot and motivating myself to do so (I can't take all the credit, my boyfriend helps). I have gone yesterday, today and i'm planning on sunday. I workout on the treadmill for 60mins sometimes or i'll use the elliptical for a 20-40mins. As for your eating meals, those would not fill me. I would be eating so many snacks. I'm a big girl so it takes a lot to fill me. What do you do for working out?

@iluxoxo211 - You are just amazing!!! :smile: I wish I could hug you right now. :heart: &I hated the gym at one point, I really did. I didn't like that I was going to be there with other people because I thought they would be always watching me but the truth is they could care less and that makes me want to go. I hate getting looks from people or when they just stare at me cuz i'm fat. I'm 19 and I am embarrassed to wear shorts, skirts, tank tops... It's ridiculous. I used to tell myself, "if people don't like it, they just won't look" and boy was I wrong! They still look and they look at you like you have 100 heads too!!!! After I got billed $600 in doctor's bills telling me I was obese, I figured that I had to do something, even if it wasn't much effort but I find myself craving for the gym now. It's like my body wants it. Maybe I'm pushing too hard? I have no idea but all I know is i'm so proud of myself and i'm one step closer to my goal. About eating, I understand what you're saying. I need to eat more protein and what do you eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner? I need ideas because some people's meals aren't made for my taste. I hate veggies and I don't like hummus but I like salsa (that's probably fattening). I will definitely try to plan my meals ahead of time but where I don't have much food to work with this month, I'm not sure how good that will be, haha. I'm going to do a mini foodshopping tomorrow that's why I need ideas :smile: I do not like raw almonds but I will try the cracker chips! For 110 calories, I can't beat that! I will also try the popcorn as well, that also sounds yummy. When I did W.W. I stopped eating past 8 and my friend stops eating past 8:30. I'm going to try this and see how it works, along with drinking a lot of water. I will keep you guys updated though :laugh: :laugh: Those last few lines of yours brought tears to my eyes. Thanks so much!!!!!!! I know i'm worth it and it took a lot for me to get to where I am today. I lost of hurt, bullying, pain, etc so it's nice to have some people motivating me :smile: :happy: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: You are like my idol right now, lol. Trust me, you're worth it to and I haven't gotten discouraged yet and even if people try to pick on me, I think I'll feel a littler better because inside I know i'm doing something about it :heart:

Thanks a lot guys. I did not expect this many people commenting on this, seriously it means a lot! However, I do need ideas for breakfast, lunch and dinners. Please help. I don't like veggies and I'm a picky eater :indifferent:
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Get a routine for the gym or some activity that you actually like doing and make a new hobby out of it. I dunno if you're like me or not, but I hate cardio. I haven't touched a treadmill.
  • jg627
    Options
    And if you're interested in oatmeal, I've come up with some pretty yummy oatmeal recipes, mostly involving nut butters, like almond and peanut. Another thing. If you like peanut butter, try making your own or getting the old fashioned natural peanut butter. The extra stuff they add to peanut butter is nasty poison.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Congrats on wanting to take the steps needed to improve your life and get healthy. If I can do it at over 40, you can do it at 19.

Consistency with exercise is one thing I recommend. You need to treat it like an appointment that you have to keep, and not fit it in here and there. I started out just walking on the treadmill for the first 8-9 months. I put music on my iPod that was the same beat as walking 3.5 -4mph (eventually 4-4.5mph) and walked 3 miles 6 days a week. I also wore 1lb wrist weights (bought at Target) so when I pumped my arms while walking they would get a bit of a workout, too.

For food, I eat pretty close to the same thing for most of every day. Chobani Greek yogurt in the morning, and sometimes a Snackwells cereal bar. Both high in protein so they will help keep you full longer.

For lunch I have a pretty big salad with either lean deli turkey or grilled chicken. I don't put a ton of veggies in mine, but will sprinkle on Mrs. Dash tomato basil seasoning to add some extra flavor.

Caramel rice cakes and reduced fat Pringles (not fat free.....think 'anal leakage') are a couple of my go-to snacks when I get home from work.

Hope some of that is helpful! Feel free to add me as a friend, too, if you'd like.
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Just know... you ABSOLUTELY can do it, and will if you set your mind to it! I wish you the best in your journey...
  • jg627
    Options
    Congrats on wanting to take the steps needed to improve your life and get healthy. If I can do it at over 40, you can do it at 19.

Consistency with exercise is one thing I recommend. You need to treat it like an appointment that you have to keep, and not fit it in here and there. I started out just walking on the treadmill for the first 8-9 months. I put music on my iPod that was the same beat as walking 3.5 -4mph (eventually 4-4.5mph) and walked 3 miles 6 days a week. I also wore 1lb wrist weights (bought at Target) so when I pumped my arms while walking they would get a bit of a workout, too.

For food, I eat pretty close to the same thing for most of every day. Chobani Greek yogurt in the morning, and sometimes a Snackwells cereal bar. Both high in protein so they will help keep you full longer.

For lunch I have a pretty big salad with either lean deli turkey or grilled chicken. I don't put a ton of veggies in mine, but will sprinkle on Mrs. Dash tomato basil seasoning to add some extra flavor.

Caramel rice cakes and reduced fat Pringles (not fat free.....think 'anal leakage') are a couple of my go-to snacks when I get home from work.

Hope some of that is helpful! Feel free to add me as a friend, too, if you'd like.
    Congrats on being able to eat greek yogurt lol. I want to like it. I really do. Just can't do it.
  • bugaboo2503
    bugaboo2503 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am a late night snacker myself, but like others have said as long as you have the calories to do soo then its fine!! POPCORN is also a good thing to have around!! Air pop is fewer calories then the microwave kind, I also like to munch on pretzel sticks you get 53 for 100 calories, fiber one bars and brownies!! YUM I use can't believe its not spray butter on EVERYTHING it has 0 calories also!!!

I have battle the weight loss thing for my whole life it seems! With that being said I never got serious enough to do anything about it, until about 6 years ago. I lost 71 pounds on WW and felt great but since then I have had 2 babies and yes now I am back on the loosing weight train again! I have found MFP easy to work with and soo far soo good! Best part is it free!!! I love food in general sooooo making good choices can be difficult but I am proud to say that I am working hard at it!! You can add me as a friend on here as we ALL need the extra help and boosts in our times of need!! :).
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    My goal is ~85 pounds.

I find the weight leaves faster when I eat more fiber, so that is one of my main nutrients to track. I am shooting for 25 grams a day and 7 servings of produce a day. To make sure I get them all in, I get a double dose at dinner and eat 2 different ones (in different colors). My goal is to eat clean. Not for weight loss, but just as a general belief, so I try not to get much processed food. I also try to limit processed sugars to 2-3 times a week. I tend to have trouble with this when TOM comes to town.

I give in sometimes, but I have been eating this way for around 5-7 years. So basically when I have a craving for something processed, I'll end up eating that items 1-3 times, and then the rest of the box goes stale because I completely forget about it and no longer crave it. (I waste so many crackers, cookies, cereal....right now I have some chips in my pantry I got for a super bowl party.)

In terms of workouts, I cannot handle the treadmill. And frankly I can't really handle more than 35 minutes of cardio (boredom sets in on the cardio machines). So that being said, here is what I do:
    1. intervals intervals intervals. They are more intense. You get faster results. And supposedly it burns more belly fat. So for me, I'll keep on the intervals bandwagon
    2. Strength training. I like the weights more than I thought. So I try to do around 20-30 minutes in each gym session. It seems to make things easier.
    3. purposeful exercise during errands: I try to walk around 3-4 miles a week either to the coffee shop or the gym or to the grocery store
    4. I workout at the gym 3X a week for about an hour

I try to stay in calorie goal and eat back around 100-200 of my exercise calories. It doesn't always work. I usually have 2 cheat meals on the weekend. I have found after a few weeks, my stomach has shrunk. I can't handle more than about 650 calories in a meal. So my cheats aren't usually horrible. Unless we sit there for 4 hours, I won't be able to eat that much. Usually I cheat with homemade pastries or a drink.

So feel free to add me. Almost down 30 pounds since the 1st of the year. Right now I am pretty much at the weight I have been at for the past 8 years. My 8-10 year low is about 5 pounds lower than I am now, and my goal is about what I weighed in middle school (eek! That sounds so horrible!).

Feel free to add more for support or recipe ideas. I love to cook and experiment all the time with recipes and food.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You can do it :) Just don't ever get discouraged. Just always keep going and eventually, you'll be one of those posters who are showing success pics for ONE YEAR ON MFP or something like that :)

Try reading New Rules of Lifting for Women. It discusses how many calories you should be eating (which is NOT 1200, that's too low, shoot for 1400 or 1500, MFP is wrong), gives you recipes and sample daily meal plans, and gives you 6 months worth of strength and lifting workouts that will help you lose weight. Honestly, for 12.95, it's probably the best way to get all that information in one book. He recommends basically cutting out cardio, but says you can still do it on some days, so then you can still enjoy your elliptical time as well.

Seriously the book is the most informative thing I've ever read about being healthy and losing weight and becoming a strong powerful woman :)
  • tcbr1980
    tcbr1980 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi I am in the same boat as you and lots of others out there. I have kinda made my own thing up I have combined the atkins shakes and bars along with heathy meals. I can drink a shake in the morning and then for a snak I will eat a bar. Lunch cause i work at Walmart (Ya I know) I get a chicken salad corssant and some veggie chips they are good. Then for dinner I have chicken grilled or baked. I have also started using ground chicken or turckey for other meals like spagehtti or stuffed peppers. I got this site from anoher bloger it is skinnytaste.com and they have the hole break down of what the meal will me cal wise. I do make some changes to them and can some times make them even healthier. (I most of the time hate to cook) Getting started is very time consumeing cause you are researching out meals and then when it does come time to cook you waigh or measure things out AUG more dishes I know. But in the long run it has been worth it and then you do it long enough you pretty much get things waighed and measured correctly with out having to dirty any dishes. So GOOOD LUCK WE ALL CAN DO THIS.:flowerforyou: :happy:
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    I used to get crazy 10 pm food cravings, but now that I am drinking enough water I don't seem to get them anymore. I actually read in one of my psychology textbooks that the thirst/hunger sensations are often confused by the brain.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Congrats on being able to eat greek yogurt lol. I want to like it. I really do. Just can't do it.

My addiction to greek yogurt started during the summer. With all of the lovely summer fruits.

Here is my suggestion. Get a bowl of fresh strawberries. (add a little sweetener if needed). Then mix up a little bit of greek yogurt with a little bit of sugar (or sweetener of choice). And use it on top of your strawberries like whipped cream. This is great for peaches, plums, berries, and mangoes. (start with the sweet fruit). If you are feeling decadent mix the greek yogurt with some whipped cream. Pretty soon, you'll need less and less sugar, and you'll throw it on top of your fruit straight.

The ratio is more fruit, less yogurt. :D
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Honestly I eat what I want but just stay within my calorie range. It's working for me so far because it's something that's relatively easy to stick to because I'm not turning my eating habits completely upside down to try to lose weight. Once I start getting too out of my comfort zone is when I start to fail. Stick to your calories, exercise as much as you feel up to, and drink enough water.

Oh, and remember that one slip up isn't going to wreck your entire week. Weight loss is a lot more about being consistent than it is about being perfect. If you have a slip up, just keep on going. Don't let it ruin your week or day for that matter.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    YOU DON'T LIKE VEGGIES?!?!? :noway:

You said "I'm a big girl so it takes a lot to fill me" - that all depends on what you eat. If you are snacking on a lot of 100-calorie packs, then there's the problem right there. I'm not going to lie, I'm a big advocate of eating non-processed, whole foods. It would probably take about 5 of those 100-calorie packs to fill me too, and I'd be hungry in an hour again. I have lost 15 pounds since I started on MFP in mid-January, and for me personally, eating the right kind of food has helped me stay on-track and not be miserable or starving. Of course I have my bad days where I want to eat the whole world, but that's all they are, one bad day here or there, and the next day I'm ready to go.

For someone who "doesn't like vegetables" and snacks on popcorn and 100 calorie packs, if you do transition into eating whole foods, it's not going to be easy. You need to give your taste buds and body time to adjust to different foods, and also getting a smaller amount of food, and it won't happen overnight. But this is all a process, not easy at times. For myself, I used to be a salt-oholic and sugar addict, but since limiting sodium and refined sugar, some fruits are too sweet for me now, and some foods too salty. I also used to hate Greek yogurt, but it's such a good low-fat source of protein that I'm training myself to like it in smoothies (eating it straight is another story lol :sick: )

So, if you are commited and care about being healthy just as much as losing weight, try to introduce veggies into your diet, they are GREAT for filling you up in a very low-calorie way. You can sneak fresh spinach in fruit smoothies and not taste it one bit, try sauteeing veggies if you don't like them raw, make stews and chillis with lean meat and lots of veggies, etc.) and you might find that you'll end up liking them. You don't have to love ALL vegetables, but maybe try to find a few that you could eat - If you like sweeter stuff, cut up some carrots and yams, toss with olive oil and bake them in the oven, they have a higher sugar content and get really yummy and caramelized when they bake.

I cook ALL the time, feel free to add me if you want to look at my diary for meal ideas. :smile:
  • jg627
    Options
    My goal is ~85 pounds.

I find the weight leaves faster when I eat more fiber, so that is one of my main nutrients to track. I am shooting for 25 grams a day and 7 servings of produce a day. To make sure I get them all in, I get a double dose at dinner and eat 2 different ones (in different colors). My goal is to eat clean. Not for weight loss, but just as a general belief, so I try not to get much processed food. I also try to limit processed sugars to 2-3 times a week. I tend to have trouble with this when TOM comes to town.

I give in sometimes, but I have been eating this way for around 5-7 years. So basically when I have a craving for something processed, I'll end up eating that items 1-3 times, and then the rest of the box goes stale because I completely forget about it and no longer crave it. (I waste so many crackers, cookies, cereal....right now I have some chips in my pantry I got for a super bowl party.)

In terms of workouts, I cannot handle the treadmill. And frankly I can't really handle more than 35 minutes of cardio (boredom sets in on the cardio machines). So that being said, here is what I do:
    1. intervals intervals intervals. They are more intense. You get faster results. And supposedly it burns more belly fat. So for me, I'll keep on the intervals bandwagon
    2. Strength training. I like the weights more than I thought. So I try to do around 20-30 minutes in each gym session. It seems to make things easier.
    3. purposeful exercise during errands: I try to walk around 3-4 miles a week either to the coffee shop or the gym or to the grocery store
    4. I workout at the gym 3X a week for about an hour

I try to stay in calorie goal and eat back around 100-200 of my exercise calories. It doesn't always work. I usually have 2 cheat meals on the weekend. I have found after a few weeks, my stomach has shrunk. I can't handle more than about 650 calories in a meal. So my cheats aren't usually horrible. Unless we sit there for 4 hours, I won't be able to eat that much. Usually I cheat with homemade pastries or a drink.

So feel free to add me. Almost down 30 pounds since the 1st of the year. Right now I am pretty much at the weight I have been at for the past 8 years. My 8-10 year low is about 5 pounds lower than I am now, and my goal is about what I weighed in middle school (eek! That sounds so horrible!).

Feel free to add more for support or recipe ideas. I love to cook and experiment all the time with recipes and food.
    For curiosity's sake, measure your wrist and ankle and look up a bone structure chart. If you have a large bone structure, your body might be happier when it's lifting than running. I'm 5' 9", 10.25 inch ankle, 8.5 inch wrist, so I have a large bone structure and I absolutely hate cardio, but I love lifting. I just got done squatting 270 lbs for 5 sets of 5 a few hours ago and I'm feeling the endorphine rush right now.
  • chunkymonkey414
    chunkymonkey414 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Get a routine for the gym or some activity that you actually like doing and make a new hobby out of it. I dunno if you're like me or not, but I hate cardio. I haven't touched a treadmill.

Yes, I do have a routine. I normally do either my whole workout on the treadmill or I split it up between the treadmill and the elliptical. I love them both, easy for me to use and works up a sweat and I don't kill myself in the process. Is that what you meant?