healthy carbs

Options
Does anyone know how many HEALTHY carbs like from fruits and veggies are good to take in a day? Like what is a healthy amount in order to lose weight but not get too tired throughout the day because carbs is where you get your energy from?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You will get a bunch of conflicting replies to this question.... some people find they lose weight more easily eating lower carbs, others (like me) don't have a problem with carbs - I eat around 50% of my daily calories in carbs and it hasn't stopped me losing weight. The times I don't lose weight is when I eat above my calories allowance. Calories in/calories out (with an effort to eat mostly homecooked, less processed food) works for me.

If you have no medical reason to reduce carbs, then try the MFP defaults and see how that works out for you, as you point out, carbs are a good source of energy.

And note, that some people have VERY strong opinions on this and are convinced that something that works for them must be right for everyone, so don't worry if you get some heated exchanges on this thread!
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    If you have no medical reason to reduce carbs, then try the MFP defaults and see how that works out for you, as you point out, carbs are a good source of energy.

And note, that some people have VERY strong opinions on this and are convinced that something that works for them must be right for everyone, so don't worry if you get some heated exchanges on this thread!

Very well said :)
  • Cebrinaj
    Cebrinaj Posts: 16
    Options
    thank you so much for your help/advice.... i have recently found out that i have high cholesterol so i am having to watch that i just didnt know about carbs... i eat alot of fruit like more than the average person.... i noticed that they are very high in carbs i just didnt know how to handle that or if i was doing the right thing. i stay away from the breads and potatoes aka the "bad stuff" as much as possible. i am just having a vey hard time losing weight! is sugar a major factor with you ? i crave sweet stuff especially this time of year
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    If this helps--the South Beach Living Plan recommends a minimum of 4.5 cups of low starch veggies and 1-3 fruits or whole grain servings per day, all "good carbs".
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I try not to stress too much on carbs from fruit or veggies - its bread and pastas that I try to limit to one serving a day. If I go over on carbs on MFP (I have mine set to 35%) and see that its just fruit and veggies I really dont care. That works for me.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I don't look at carbs at all and have lost a stack of weight.
  • nannabannana
    Options
    I look for healthier recipes from a lot of different sites. I then incorporate them . I am doing fine with my weight loss. Good Luck.
  • kathyrpa
    kathyrpa Posts: 26
    Options
    if your eating healthy and exercising is there such a thing as to much fruit.?
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Im one of the folks who are medically restricted due to a rare metabolic disorder, insulin resistance and PCOS. They treat most of it like diabetes because of the same and/or similar symptoms associated with blood sugar and insulin.

Honestly speaking though, I would suggest perhaps discussing with your PCP or Registered Dietician what might be right for you. Have you ever been evaluated and reviewed for Insulin Resistance?

I would definitely consider talking with them first before you consider low carbohydrate intakes just to be on the safe side of things.

The percentages that work for one person, might be too low for the next person.... it is definitely something that should be individualized in my opinion.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Im one of the folks who are medically restricted due to a rare metabolic disorder, insulin resistance and PCOS. They treat most of it like diabetes because of the same and/or similar symptoms associated with blood sugar and insulin.

Honestly speaking though, I would suggest perhaps discussing with your PCP or Registered Dietician what might be right for you. Have you ever been evaluated and reviewed for Insulin Resistance?

I would definitely consider talking with them first before you consider low carbohydrate intakes just to be on the safe side of things.

The percentages that work for one person, might be too low for the next person.... it is definitely something that should be individualized in my opinion.

I forgot to add:
    I eliminated the following foods:
    Potatoes, rice, pasta, corn, breads, flour, most fruits

The fruits I can safely have are in the berry family: straw,blue,black, black rasp, red rasp but no more than two servings per day
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    if your eating healthy and exercising is there such a thing as to much fruit.?

Actually, yes. Calories in must be less than calories out to lose weight. If you go over your calorie limit, it doesn't matter if you went over with twinkies or peaches; you still have a surplus of calories that your body is going to store.

As long as you are under on cals, eat all the fruit you care to eat. But be warned, fruit is comprised mainly of simple sugars, and will give you the same insulin response as a candy bar, with the same crash after. You're getting fiber and nutrients with the fruit, but you'd still need to balance it out with complex carbs and protein to feel full.

Good luck!
  • KTompkins44
    Options
    You can pretty much eat as much veggies as you can stand. Watch your fruit intake. I recommend berries in the morning and a serving of fruit with a protein shake after your workouts. That's it. For a great nutritional and exercise program, go to bodybuilding.com and search for Jamie Eason's lived it trainer. It lays it all out for you. I use MFP in conjunction with this program.