Post workout drink/Excess calories left

Hi everyone,

I've upped my daily goal to just above my RMR and a eating 1600 calories per day. I work out pretty hard 6 days per week (typically burning between 400 - 600 calories each day) and am finding that I have 600+ calories left over towards the end of the day. Because I'm set to just above RMR, I eat back all my exercise calories, so some days I am at 2200. I am finding myself eating junk (cookies and anything else that is super high in calories) just to meet my daily calorie goal. This seems counter productive to my weight loss efforts, so I am starting to research post workout drinks and/or protein drinks..?

I am not sure how else I could get those extra calories in and am hoping some of you will have some input on how you meet your daily goals.

Thanks!

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Hi everyone,

I've upped my daily goal to just above my RMR and a eating 1600 calories per day. I work out pretty hard 6 days per week (typically burning between 400 - 600 calories each day) and am finding that I have 600+ calories left over towards the end of the day. Because I'm set to just above RMR, I eat back all my exercise calories, so some days I am at 2200. I am finding myself eating junk (cookies and anything else that is super high in calories) just to meet my daily calorie goal. This seems counter productive to my weight loss efforts, so I am starting to research post workout drinks and/or protein drinks..?

I am not sure how else I could get those extra calories in and am hoping some of you will have some input on how you meet your daily goals.

Thanks!

Post workout as in lifting? A couple things I do post-workout are
    - 2 protein shakes mixed with 1 serving of Chocolate (sweetened) Almond Milk. That's good for I think like 400 calories (can't remember off-hand)
    - I found a recipe for Sweet Potato Pancakes that is good for 333 calories not including the 1/4 cup of low-sugar Maple Syrup I'll have with them.
  • HeealthyMee
    HeealthyMee Posts: 62 Member

Post workout as in lifting? A couple things I do post-workout are
    - 2 protein shakes mixed with 1 serving of Chocolate (sweetened) Almond Milk. That's good for I think like 400 calories (can't remember off-hand)
    - I found a recipe for Sweet Potato Pancakes that is good for 333 calories not including the 1/4 cup of low-sugar Maple Syrup I'll have with them.

I typically lift every other day following the back/biceps, chest/triceps, legs/core routine. In between, I usually change it up between running, the stairmaster or elliptical. I love doing high intensity cardio and need it for the stress relief.. it just burns A LOT of calories.
  • JNick77
    Cool. Here's what I had today post-workout and is pretty typical for me,

Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion - Chocolate Peanut Butter (Corrected 12/2/11) - Protein Powder, 2 Scoop (36g) 300 10 6 50 2
    Quacker - Oats Quick-1 Minute, 1/2 cup dry 150 27 3 5 4
    Silk - Pure Almond Milk, Dark Chocolate, 1 cup 120 23 3 1 1

Solid and quick 570 calories. :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Three tablespoons of peanut butter, half a scoop of chocolate protein powder, two tablespoons of honey, and 1/3 cup of quick cook oatmeal mixed together and put on either bread or a tortilla for a sandwich is around 650 calories and is my normal end of day filler.

30 g of protein
    80 g of carb
    28 g of fat
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    That's an impressive number of calories burned on your strength days although easily done on your cardio days.
    Maybe just stick to weights and skip the cardio, thereby reducing your required caloric intake? Just a thought.
  • HeealthyMee
    Thanks everyone. Quite a few people have recommended the myofusion powder - I'm going to give it a shot.
  • HeealthyMee
    That's an impressive number of calories burned on your strength days although easily done on your cardio days.
    Maybe just stick to weights and skip the cardio, thereby reducing your required caloric intake? Just a thought.

I've considered that but really enjoying working up a sweat with cardio .. plus I need it as stress relief to maintain my sanity! :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Could try adding 1 to 2 tbsp of PB, a banana, and 1/2c raw oats to a protein shake.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    I can offer no advice because if that is you in your profile pic than what ever it is your doing is clearly working very well. If it aint broke dont fix it.
  • JNick77
    Thanks everyone. Quite a few people have recommended the myofusion powder - I'm going to give it a shot.

Gaspari Nutrition makes a good powder. I like it a lot more than ON personally.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Hi everyone,

Thanks!

I have the same problem and thats why I no longer eat back my workout calories. I usually keep to 2000 calories and have one or two treats there. How about keeping your cardio on separate days then your lifting making it less calories needed to be eaten or better yet don't track your exercise calories on MFP it makes me go insane!

http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/

Some good insight in the above article
  • HeealthyMee

What do you like better about it?
  • JNick77

What do you like better about it?

It has a good protein profile and the flavors are definitely better. Not sure that the quality is any better but the taste is better for sure.
  • Three tablespoons of peanut butter, half a scoop of chocolate protein powder, two tablespoons of honey, and 1/3 cup of quick cook oatmeal mixed together and put on either bread or a tortilla for a sandwich is around 650 calories and is my normal end of day filler.

30 g of protein
    80 g of carb
    28 g of fat

That sounds DELISH!!!
  • taylorwonderlich
    taylorwonderlich Posts: 12 Member
    Ok, so I'm confused....can someone clarify why I'm supposed to eat back calories I burn?? To me it sounds completely pointless but I was just wondering because I've seen a few people talk about it and I don't understand. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just genuinely confused.