Trader Joe's Road Trip

Options
BumInTheSun73
BumInTheSun73 Posts: 37 Member
So I live in Miami and the closest Trader Joe's only recently opened in Naples ... about 2 hours away! My friend and I are planning a road trip on Saturday to go check it out, after hearing you all sing praises for so long now. Was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on specific things we should look for, anything that you really love and couldn't live without that we should try, or just any advice in general about TJ's.

Thanks! :drinker:

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I really love their marinara sauce. They also can have some interesting hummus. I also purchase their whole wheat pizza crust (premade in the refrigerator section). There's just all sorts of good stuff there! Have fun.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    2-Buck-Chuck!

JM
  • twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    What sort of things do you like to eat? They have a wide variety, you can always check out their website.

I like their confetti rice (freezer section), falafal, and feta dressing, all in a pita or piece of flatbread (or naan). It's delicious. Also their teriyaki chicken (freezer section) is yummy and decent on sodium.
  • BumInTheSun73
    Options
    That confetti rice and feta dressing sound good!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the lone nay-sayer, but I seriously do *not* think Trader Joe's is that great. Most of the prepared food is WAY high in salt, even higher than similar products from other sources. Their organic dairy, which I assume you won't be buying anyway, since you have a 2 hour drive, is cheaper than other sources, but it from a few very large organic farms--probably not what you're imagining when you buy organic dairy. In my experience, the produce is *sometimes* less expensive than other stores, but often of low quality, stuff you buy there tends to go bad faster than similar products from the grocery store--and the apples are almost always terribly bruised. Their frozen berries, and un-sauced frozen veggies are good, and cheap, but I assume you won't be buying these because of the drive time. What's left:
    - Peanut butter, but watch the salt content, buy the unsalted and mix it jar for jar with the salted.
    - Single-serving packs of nuts, a nice convenience, and not much more expensive than the large packs.
    - Crystallized candied ginger--this stuff is good.
    - Chocolate and chocolate chips, okay quality, good price.
    - Dried goods like quinoa, brown basmati rice, etc., but you can probably buy these cheaper in bulk someplace else.
    - Their flatbread is good, but high in salt and not particularly healthy.

Trader Joe's was only somewhat worth the trip when I worked right down the street from them, I wouldn't drive two hours to go to one unless I was really bored. Oh, and going to one that has just opened generally means it's going to be packed and understaffed. If you must go, wait a month.
  • ChelleDJM
    ChelleDJM Posts: 161
    Options
    My sisters and I do a TJ's road trip a few times a year (ours is just over 2 hours away too). We love it and it gives us a fun road trip and we gotta grocery shop anyway, right? We are going this Sunday. Bring a cooler to stock up on any dairy and frozen goods you want to get. I like their greek yogurt, soy coffee creamer, cream cheese, other cheeses, the frozen rice with raisins in it...might be the confetti rice!, and I usually get some fish too (but if you are in Florida, you can probably get fresh fish more often than I can). I stock up on ww couscous, white ww flour, brown basmati rice, wild rice, and quinoa. I also like to get peanut butter, artichoke hearts, balsamic vinegar, evoo, and their chips/snacks aisle is fun too. Last time we went I had 2 carts! Oh, and they have bbq sauce with no hfcs.
  • BumInTheSun73
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas so far! I guess it would be wise to take a cooler or two, thanks for that advice. I am looking at it as a fun road trip, in addition to seeing what all the fuss is about. Not too worried about the crowd or staffing, to be honest. If it were down the street that's a different story!

Crystallized candied ginger, sounds delicious. And 2 buck chuck?! Gonna have to look that one up!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    2 buck chuck is $2 wine. It's ok. The best feature of it is the price tag. If you really like good wine, pass.

However, I would recommend getting some EVOO and Basalmic vinegar. TJ's has VERY good quality on these 2 items, and their prices are shockingly low, compared to everywhere.
  • CarolM742
    CarolM742 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I pass a Trader Joe's everyday on my way to work and never stop in. I will stop in this week.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    cream on top milk
    frozen mango chunks
    dried mango

highly recommend these :)
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    I love their microwaveable lunch meals - the Indian meals. They have great sauces. I also buy their frozen pizza - mozzarella and red pepper pizza. We buy the snap peas, honey wheat pretzels, fresh juices, cereal, etc.

I think I need to make a TJ's run!
  • BumInTheSun73
    Options
    Ok guys. Thanks for the ideas. The big day is tomorrow. Will definitely be taking my (your) shopping list along! Wish us luck lol :bigsmile: