I'm stuck!

Options
Hi Guys,

I've been on MFP for just about 6 months now and have successfully lost 28lbs which I'm so happy about! I have another 19lbs to go and I feel a bit stuck.

I've been cycling around the same weight for the last 4-6 weeks, I weigh in once a week and I'm never far away from 11st 8lbs. I'll either be exactly that weight or maybe a lb up or down from it and I can't seem to break it. I admit that to monitor it throughout the week I have weighed myself daily for the last 2 weeks and the scale just doesn't shift.

I'm on 1400 calories a day and do an hour walk every day to/from work which gives me just over 200 more, so that's always my base calorie intake. I do aerobics 2-3 times a week and go swimming every so often to earn more.

I've tried zig zagging my calorie intake throughout the week but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I've read a lot about possibly upping my calories but I really feel like I eat more than enough at the moment as it is.

I just wondered if anyone had any advice, or whether they experienced something similar around the halfway/two-thirds mark.

Thanks!
Chloe

Replies

• SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    There are probably many ways you could approach this and doubtless others will share their successful techniques with you here shortly. MY opinion is it's probably time for a break.

Six months is a long time and you've had great success and doubtless it's been a challening journey and perhaps you are a little physically and mentally tired from it. You certainly sound in your post like you are getting a little stressed now.

Why not take two weeks off you calorie defecit diet. Keep up your workouts as they bring second order health and well being benefits but quit the weight loss goal for 2 weeks and recharge.

During that time you can research a bit more about diet strategies and find an approach/technique that resonates with you. Set some goals for a two month period around your workouts (e.g. 30 half our cardio workouts) and your weight (e.g. 8 pounds) and then come back at it fresh and focussed on those goals. I stick a chart on the fridge with both of those goals represented in a tower that get to cross off after each weigh in & workout. It's very motivating.
  • beckyjston
    beckyjston Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey, my friend had the same problem and I think it's worth reading this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/501511-great-read-on-plateau-ing ... It's a lengthy read but is definitely interesting and poves to be successful by all accounts on the replies.

I really hope this helps, good luck
  • canary986
    canary986 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much for the posts, the article about the plateau is really interesting.

I can see that I could definitely introduce strength exercises which will hopefully help me out a bit and I think I will have a play with my calorie intake.

6 months has been a long road and I do occasionally have a 'break' day but it would be hard for me to have a 2 week break. It's almost so programmed into my brain that eating unhealthily/more than usual will put me back on my journey which I've worked so hard for.

Trying to stay more chilled out about my attitude towards it though!

Thanks guys.