Foot pain. Help. Plz.

When I work out I get this pain in my right foot. And just the right one. Its on the outside, kind of like a cramp and I feel like I need to stretch it. I do, but it interupts me during jumping jacks, squats, or pretty much any thing that I do standing up.
Sometimes I think that my balance is off or maybe my ankles are crooked or something, putting extra stress on my feet. I've tried different shoes, yoga stretches, and I'll try whatever else I can.
I am starting a new job so I won't have any insurance for 90 days.
Anyone out there got advice?
I push through the pain because the workout feels good otherwise and I have had too many excuses not to work out so now that I'm on a roll I don't wanna stop now.
Any advice is helpful.:happy:

Replies

• hollychristine
    hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
    When I work out I get this pain in my right foot. And just the right one. Its on the outside, kind of like a cramp and I feel like I need to stretch it. I do, but it interupts me during jumping jacks, squats, or pretty much any thing that I do standing up.
    Sometimes I think that my balance is off or maybe my ankles are crooked or something, putting extra stress on my feet. I've tried different shoes, yoga stretches, and I'll try whatever else I can.
    I am starting a new job so I won't have any insurance for 90 days.
    Anyone out there got advice?
    I push through the pain because the workout feels good otherwise and I have had too many excuses not to work out so now that I'm on a roll I don't wanna stop now.
    Any advice is helpful.:happy:
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Sorry to say foot pain is serious before you continue to do work outs see a doctor just to make sure it is not serious. I let mine go and ended up having surgury last may. In a cast a year before that. Just to stay on the safe side :smile:
  • nicole0177
    nicole0177 Posts: 377
    do you stretch it before you work out?
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    I have that same problem, felt like a cramp on the outside of my right foot. I think it's because my feet are laterally rotated and the impact is mostly on the outer part of my foot rather than evenly across the whole foot. And now I have to put contured inserts into all my workout shoes, ones that will form and shape to your foot more than the shoe will. I also am now super picky about shoes, I only have a comfortable workout in addias shoes. The inserts have helped, but I did still have to keep working through the pain and eventaully I stopped having that. But when I quit working out for a long period of time( in the past I have taken months away from the gym) when I start again I have to go through that same problem for awhile then it fades again. I figured it was just a cramp so I didn't worry, but I suppose it would be a better idea to have it checked out at the doc to be sure.
  • hollychristine
    I always stretch before and after. I usually do the Biggest Looser DVD's
    BTW, They are really good. Jillian and Bob kick *kitten* even through your TV.
  • hollychristine
    Good to know. There is a special shoe store near my job. I will stop in there for some good inserts. Thanx!
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    you can go to a store that specializes in running, they have been trained to fit you with the correct type of shoe to help with the pains of exercising. They are pricey, but worth it. A friend of mine went to a dr and got orthopedics (?), and she swears by them for foot pain.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    I have broken both feet, all my toes and broke the patilla in half on one knee and busted real bad the other several times.

Foot pain, please see a doctpr first and rule out anything then spend a bit of money, I think about 30.00 depending whene you go and the get the padded, cushioned, work out foot pads.

They have heel support, toe support and just about what ever kind of support you need for your tennis shoes.
  • Are you tieing your shoes too tight? Sometimes when you do that it causes a lot of foot pain. Multiple People on my track team have had this problem. Try loosening your shoes a bit and see if it feels any better. If not, then you have a whole different situation :ohwell:
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Try the inserts. If they make a difference, you will begin to feel relief within days - weeks. Question, does that area hurt all the time or just when exercising? Does the pain get better with the use of anti-inflammatories? (ibuprofen/aleeve)

Just be cautious about pushing through as you are describing a common area for forefoot stress fractures. If you can try some less weight bearing activity: bike or swim, that will probably help. If you anticipate needing to get medical attention for this, be cautious about seeing anyone until your new insurance kicks in or it will be a "pre-existing" condition for which they may deny coverage. Rest is the only treatment for stress related injuries, so try to switch up your regimine!

Good luck!
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    I have broken both feet, all my toes and broke the patilla in half on one knee and busted real bad the other several times.

Foot pain, please see a doctpr first and rule out anything then spend a bit of money, I think about 30.00 depending whene you go and the get the padded, cushioned, work out foot pads.

They have heel support, toe support and just about what ever kind of support you need for your tennis shoes.

i agree with elliott. my husband has some kind of weird nerve problem in his feet because he left it untreated for years. many doctors will give you a discount if you can pay up front. feel free to negotiate, it saves them money too not having to go thru your insurance. good luck:flowerforyou:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Definately see if there are any shoe stores around that specialize in running. If you are near any college towns you can most likely find one there. They will get you a properly fitting pair of shoes.

In the mean time, are the sides of your shoes tight around the sides of your feet?
  • jayme03
    jayme03 Posts: 64 Member
    I defintely had this problem, which eventually radiated up to my knees. I went to a podiatrist and I had inserts made to match the contour of my VERY flat feet. Since then I have had no foot/knee pain when I run and it's awesome! I never knew that all my pain was coming from my feet...but I guess most people don't so I'd recommend some good inserts and good shoes to match. Good luck!
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Another thing I forgot to mention... what type of shoe do you use? Running shoes are not always good for aerobics and other types of exercise, as they are made mainly for forward motion. Ask your doctor abour using cross trainers, they are made for side to side stability and support as well as forward motion. I have finally bought another pair of shoes for working out as well as my running shoes.
  • butterjoy
    butterjoy Posts: 303 Member
    WHERE DO YOU PURCHASE INSERTS TO HELP YOUR FEET? DO YOU HAVE TO GO TO A DOCTOR AND PAY TO HAVE IT MADE? THAT COST TOO MUCH. IS THERE INSERTS THAT YOU CAN PURCHASE THAT ACTUALLY MOLDS AGAINST YOUR FEET? SILLY QUESTIONS :ohwell: BUT, I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO KNOW.
    THANKS,
    JOY
  • hollychristine
    I have been wearing running shoes which my doctor suggested last year when I was diagnosed with plantars facitis, (spelling?) This is a different kind of pain, it is on the outside part of my right foot and it only hurts during exersizes like jumping jacks, squats, and other upright moves. once I'm done working out, I feel nothing. Its really annoying.
    The best way I can describe it is.... have you ever been swimming and you get a cramp in your foot that makes your toes curl? Its like that. Stretching my toes upward feels really good.
    I think after reading all of your posts; I'm going to try crosstraining shoes, inserts, and call my Moms Podiatrist.
    Thanks.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    WHERE DO YOU PURCHASE INSERTS TO HELP YOUR FEET? DO YOU HAVE TO GO TO A DOCTOR AND PAY TO HAVE IT MADE? THAT COST TOO MUCH. IS THERE INSERTS THAT YOU CAN PURCHASE THAT ACTUALLY MOLDS AGAINST YOUR FEET? SILLY QUESTIONS :ohwell: BUT, I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO KNOW.
    THANKS,
    JOY

I have gotten mine before at Walmart, nike outlet, speciality stores for orthopedics.. and I think you can get them online

WalkFit
    A Step Ahead
    Solemates
  • jayme03
    jayme03 Posts: 64 Member
    I went to a podiatrist and had my inserts molded to my feet and yes it was expensive, but I was willing to pay the price to get rid of my foot and knee pain. I think I paid about $250, and so far they've been worth every penny. But as with most things, I'm sure not everyone would need a prescribed insert and the ones they sell at the drug store would probably do. Hope this helps!