Tips for women with hips

Options
Does anyone have specific advice for hourglass/pear shapes? Both nutrition and exercise tips would be helpful.

Replies

• Ncdaniel16
    Ncdaniel16 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat....Every I talk to says walking is the best way to help slim the pear shape a bit...

Personally I like the elliptical and stair stepper. I feel like I get a better work out doing those machines than walking, especially since it is so humid and the temp around where I live gets over 100 degrees in the spr/sum/fall seasons...

Best Wishes!!
  • Jlburroughs
    Options
    I agree. I don't want to walk off the pounds when I can run off the pounds! I don't want to spend an hour walking off the calroies I can run off in half the time. I'm going to give the 30 day shred a try and see what my results are.
  • Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    What you eat and how much you eat also plays a role in how your hips look. If you've heard the phrase, "A minute on the lips, but a lifetime on the hips," you know that eating too many high-calorie, high-fat, sugary and processed foods can have a number of negative effects on your body.

To slim down, stick to whole, natural foods that are low in calories and high in vitamins, minerals and nutrients.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Body shape doesn't really change anything about losing weight. The nice thing about being an hourglass is you tend to gain and lose proportionally, but otherwise, exercise and eat less like everyone else.
  • Stepmom1
    Stepmom1 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges are good to slim down the lower body :)

I like using weights to add more resistance and make me work harder... :wink:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Lift weights... and do cardio only when necessary.

I saw so many changes in my figure when I started lifting instead of doing all cardio.. I'm smaller and tighter without working out for hours on end!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely bottom heavy (which blows when buying shorts and pencil skirts).

My hips have slimmed down with running.
    I use the Arc trainer too, it's like an elliptical but better (IMO)

There's Jillian Michael's Killer Buns & Thighs but all that did was kill my knees
  • snakesandladders2
    snakesandladders2 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Lift weights... and do cardio only when necessary.

I saw so many changes in my figure when I started lifting instead of doing all cardio.. I'm smaller and tighter without working out for hours on end!

This!

Lift heavy weights, do whole-body exercises like: squats, deadlifts, push-ups, pull-ups / chin-ups and watch those hips melt!

Also eat clean, clean, clean. This helped me anyway! It does take a while though - my upper body has been lean for ages now, and my lower body has been a bit slower to catch up.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap exercise ball and when I am at home in front of the computer or TV, I sit on it and pulse, squeeze, roll my hips, etc. It has really helped with toning the area. I can suddenly walk without my inner thighs rubbing together, and my buttocks have a nicer shape (not so flat).
  • applekoko19
    applekoko19 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hourglass is a great shape... I agree with others who said your body shape doesnt matter too much but recently I noticed running having a huge impact on my shape. I walk lots maybe an hour a day but the running has had an impact and I have only been doing it for two weeks. Weights would be better I am sure but I don't enjoy doing them as much. Really though... Anything you do will help and you'll get the best results from whTever activity you can maintain the routine with. Best wishes
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    many many theories on weight loss and they all persist because we are all different!

body shape theories suggests your body type mesomorph/ectomorph etc can impact on how you loose
    bio-signature modulation suggests location based fat deposit (e.g. cortisol levels can lead to belly fat and estrogen xs is a cause of thigh fat)

so there may be factors that affect your body shape but in general exercise is exercise if you don't enjoy it it'll be more difficult to do so find something you enjoy and then mix it up a bit every now and again
    try to get something or two somethings that have cardio and strength

good luck
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I'm classic hourglass shape (hips and boobs always have had the same measurements) and I've lost about 4 in from my hips alone since Feb running and swimming (run x 3, swim x 2 per week) and strength exercises using my own weight 4 x/week (i know they have a special name, but I don't know it!) like lunges and squats.

Try a few different things maybe and see what works? You can't spot recdue, but tightening the muscles underneath the fat (and I have much of that!) will make you smaller all over :)
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges target your lower body especially the butt. They will give you that cute lifted look. Cardio like running and the elliptical will help you burn those calories and get slim. Strength training is essential though so you do NOT get that skinny fat look where your BMI is low but your body fat percentage is high. Eat a well balanced clean diet with enough calories to cover your BMR so your body can let go of the fat and keep your muscle. Good luck.