DJing a Sweet 16 this weekend... need opinions.

Options
papa3x
papa3x Posts: 286
OK, I don't do Sweet 16s.... ever..... but this client is super important to me, and I can't afford to get him angry by not doing it. He knows that I don't do these.

So there are 35 girls expected, and 5 - 6 guys. So maybe I can slip in a couple of slow songs during the 4 hours. Anyway my wife came up with this idea and I like it..... to give each girl a number and each guy a number.... Then pull them out of the hat and try to get them to dance together. I think it could be a great idea, but also a chance for failure.

Whaddya think?

Replies

• Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Thats cute! I like the idea. I would just feel bad if not all the girls get a partner/chance. Make it a way to break the ice maybe like a competition and offer a small prize like a teddy bear or something...Good luck!!
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I think it could get a bit awkward with only a handful of guys.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I am a 19 year old. if someone did that to me at 16 i would NOT wanna do it hahahaha.

it all depends on the person, you could make someones night or create an experience of complete dramaaaa.

take into consideration that some may already have boyfriends. this could cause drama
  • LittleMissNerdy
    Options
    I am a 19 year old. if someone did that to me at 16 i would NOT wanna do it hahahaha.

it all depends on the person, you could make someones night or create an experience of complete dramaaaa.

take into consideration that some may already have boyfriends. this could cause drama

Agreed about the drama. Teen girls are drama queens :laugh:
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Sounds awkward. I vote no.
  • Jessie544
    Jessie544 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    ha! my husband also Dj's and I cannot even imagine him doing a gig like that, but I understand your predicament! I would clear it with the dad first, and ask the bday girl too. She will be the best judge of whatever happens, and she doesn't want to be embarassed in any way on her special day, especially for a party that large.

I think you and your wife should brainstorm some other ideas and present them to dad/daughter see what they think and if they have any suggestions. I agree with above poster, it may be a little awkward with only a few guys.... thinking back to when I was 16, I would be absolutely mortified if I was "forced" to go dance with a guy!

I hope it goes great for you, just have fun with it....
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Just asked my 16 year old son....this is totally his opinion....."that's probably not going to go well."

I thought it was cute, but I'm a 44 year old female.

Good luck!
  • papa3x
    Options

a simple dance at a sweet 16 woould cause drama for this reason? Ay yi yi! It's a dance.... nobody owns anybody. But what do I know about 16 year olds... I'm almost 50.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I think it could get a bit awkward with only a handful of guys.

This! If there were more guys then yes!
  • Redapplecandie
    Redapplecandie Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Talk to the b-day girl and see if she has any ideas. If you can, tell her in a joking style, that you are older, and what works for your genre wont work for hers, and you need some input. Or, if this is supposed to be a surprise, see if you can get the father to ask some of the girl's friends for help.

Good luck!
  • Rynoman2k3
    Rynoman2k3 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'd hate to even know what 16yr olds listen to these days. Probably the beeb and Selena Gomez. Gag me!

Bust out some funky cold medina,some Poison, REO-Journey for the slow songs, and the line dancing songs.

I'm dating myself o well...

But I don't dance unless i'm drunk or very close. I can't even imagine doing a gig like this.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    The title of this post alone made me giggle, I have a teenage stepdaughter, holy drama and mood swings...........LOL!
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options

a simple dance at a sweet 16 woould cause drama for this reason? Ay yi yi! It's a dance.... nobody owns anybody. But what do I know about 16 year olds... I'm almost 50.

Sadly.. yes. I'm 21 now but I remember many things from that time. A dance can be prettty bad. I think it's stupid now haha, but that's now. At 16 the world is different. Personally I like the idea, but I think they wouldn't go for it. Something similar sounds good, though.. just gotta find out what..
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple and play music.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    When I was a teen some of my best friends were guys. One day I had to stay after school and a friend of a friend saw me walking home and gave me a ride. It was all of 1-2 miles. We didn't even really say anything to each other. The next day I found out his girlfriend wanted to beat me up because of it. Teen girls are not rational creatures. If one of the boys is dating one of the girls and you put him in a dance with another girl... well... you're 50 so I'm sure you've heard of the Watts riots... Not a good idea.
  • papa3x
    Options
    When I was a teen some of my best friends were guys. One day I had to stay after school and a friend of a friend saw me walking home and gave me a ride. It was all of 1-2 miles. We didn't even really say anything to each other. The next day I found out his girlfriend wanted to beat me up because of it. Teen girls are not rational creatures. If one of the boys is dating one of the girls and you put him in a dance with another girl... well... you're 50 so I'm sure you've heard of the Watts riots... Not a good idea.

Do you come from a bad area with lots of bad kids? I never, and I mean never hear of kids getting in fights at school, or after, where I live. And I do have kids in school, but they are only about 11.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options

I DOUBT it would cause any drama, unless those 16 year olds are secretly 12 years old. I had a boyfriend at 16 (the same one I'm still currently with :)) and if he danced with another girl I wouldn't care and I still wouldn't care, some people are just over jealous and don't have much confidence. If a girl get's mad, she'll get over it.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Plus it's just a slow dance, one slow dance, around 2-4 minutes.....it's not like they are sleeping together.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple, roll the slow songs and if they're gonna do a slow dance with each other, they'll do it themselves. Ain't no 16 year old who's going to want to be essentially forced to do it, especially if everyone else sees who was picked out of the hat, with peer pressure and all that.

Great ratio for those 5 guys though haha ;)
  • LittleMissNerdy
    Options

Do you come from a bad area with lots of bad kids? I never, and I mean never hear of kids getting in fights at school, or after, where I live. And I do have kids in school, but they are only about 11.

LOL at the generalization. I don't consider where I'm from a "bad area" or filled with "bad kids" but kids can be idiots about everything from she looked at me funny to I don't like your shoes. Were there fights when I was 11? No. But High School? Yes.