so hungry

Options
Just started watching what i eat. Wow I never realized how much i think about food! I just have to stick it out! How long before eating right feels normal? How long before I dont feel like im starving myself? :ohwell:

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Just started watching what i eat. Wow I never realized how much i think about food! I just have to stick it out! How long before eating right feels normal? How long before I dont feel like im starving myself? :ohwell:

If you're making good choices, which include protein, fiber, and lots of water, you certainly shouldn't be feeling like you're starving. If you're filling up on mostly carbs throughout the day, THEN you WILL be feeling really hungry.
  • odm73
    odm73 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I never knew how much I was eating until I started writing it all down. I have been doing this for about 6-7 weeks and I still have times when I feel like I am starving, but it's defenitely gotten easier. Make sure you give yourself a treat now and then or it will make things even worse.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Don't starve yourself!!! Plan ahead "what" you are going to eat for meals AND snacks, check the mfp calorie count so you will be prepared. Go for a fast walk/workout and gain some more calories so you can eat a little more. Hang in there sweety you can do this!
  • meikathadiva
    Options
    I started a 1200 calorie diet at the end of June, two weeks later I no longer felt like I was starving and about a week ago I stopped feeling hungry. I think it was psychological because I was eating whole grains, lots of fiber drinking crystal light (really just water) and eating lean meats and egg whites full of protein. Your body does have to get use to it, try to snack on things like cucumbers or celery when feeling hungry. I feel your pain but hang in there, YOU CAN DO IT!
  • beckythebunny122
    beckythebunny122 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started. What I did (and still do) when I'm starving after eating something: 1) brush my teeth (sometimes this distracts me), 2) drink a glass of water, 3) If it is an hour since I ate, then I eat something that is high in protein and fiber - like half an English muffin with 1 Tb PB or Tuna and celery or whole grain crackers. (Note: At least for me, eating just fiber or protein didn't work - had to be a combo to make me feel full. Hence the tuna and celery or crackers - one without the other still made me feel hungry).

I've found that it helps me know if I'm really hungry or just want something not-good for me (often I want something sweet or salty). And if I'm that hungry, then my body wants me to eat something. A hundred calories or two every once in awhile as you get used to healthy eating won't hurt and will help your body adjust. Just make sure that you're not eating because you're bored and not eating junk.

Almost 8 months later, I'm on track with my calories most days. But if I'm starving, I still listen to myself and eat something. As long as it's reasonably healthy, I'm not as concerned if I go over by a bit once in a while. I'm now down to having to have this type of snack to maybe once or twice every two weeks.
  • mommyofkailey
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you all for the support! Everyday is one step closer to a new healthier me!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Eat every couple of hours and you won't feel deprived. Have snacks that keep you full until your next meal
  • halfacerk
    Options
    MISSA IM STARVING 2!!!!!!!!!! must...... eat......... food lol
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Eat every 3 hours. Include protein because protein makes you feel full and takes longer to be digested. The processed carbs give you an instant rush, but get digested quickly, leaving you starving in a very short period of time, so use whole grains and natural carbs (fruits, etc.).

I eat cottage cheese + fruit, String Cheese + fruit, nuts, peanut butter and whole wheat crackers, hummus and celery. I don't like tuna but you could eat tuna salad on crackers or half a sandwich of egg salad or tuna salad on whole wheat bread or wrap.

Eat a BIG breakfast..seriously this is SO important. I hated breakfast, food first thing in the morning made me nauseous, but decided I would force myself to eat anyway. It has made such a difference in how I feel and my appetite. 3 hours later is my first snack. 3 hours after that is lunch. And so forth...I feel like I"m constantly eating, lol.
  • Lil_Leah
    Lil_Leah Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Eat every 3 hours. Include protein because protein makes you feel full and takes longer to be digested. The processed carbs give you an instant rush, but get digested quickly, leaving you starving in a very short period of time, so use whole grains and natural carbs (fruits, etc.).

I eat cottage cheese + fruit, String Cheese + fruit, nuts, peanut butter and whole wheat crackers, hummus and celery. I don't like tuna but you could eat tuna salad on crackers or half a sandwich of egg salad or tuna salad on whole wheat bread or wrap.

Eat a BIG breakfast..seriously this is SO important. I hated breakfast, food first thing in the morning made me nauseous, but decided I would force myself to eat anyway. It has made such a difference in how I feel and my appetite. 3 hours later is my first snack. 3 hours after that is lunch. And so forth...I feel like I"m constantly eating, lol.

the guys at my old job used to pick on me cuz i ate so often during the day. they'd say "for being on a diet you sure eat alot!" or "do you EVER stop eating?!" :laugh:
  • Shuutnstar
    Shuutnstar Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I just started myself about 2 weeks ago... and at first I had a hard time with hunger. But keep small snacks either on you, or if you are a desk worker like me... in your cubbie! I keep a jar of peanut butter with me at work and whenever I am going too long without eating (sometimes you get caught up and can't help it!) I take a teaspoon of PB to hold me through. I also carry almonds in a zip lock baggie in my purse and always have a chewy granola bar in there too. I haven't had to eat it, but I know it's there, and it has stopped me from hitting a Mickey D drive thru more times than I care to count!

But... just keep going. And SET GOALS for yourself. I FINALLY sat down and wrote my down until when I should hit my goal weight. It really is empowering to see it there in print!

Good luck! :flowerforyou: