PCOS and a flat stomach?

Options
So I've never really thought about this much before but now I am. I've NEVER had a flat stomach, even when I was at my thinnest.

I'm curious if it could have anything to do with the PCOS? I don't suffer too much of the weight gain part of PCOS, but I do have an extremely hard time losing weight. But anyway, does anybody with PCOS find they can't seem to have a flat stomach? They always have a lower stomach pooch? Like, my stomach isn't really rounded, I guess you could say it is flat but my lower stomach isn't...if that makes sense?

I don't really care about having a completely flat stomach because I think my stomach does look pretty good (with a little bit of work...) but I'm curious if there's any relation to PCOS and belly fat...

And I ONLY want women who suffer from PCOS to reply since I'm wondering if it's PCOS related so if you don't have PCOS then obviously you won't be able to answer my question.

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have had pcos since I was about 16 years old... I lost a ton of weight when I was 15 and I got down to my lowest weight (155 at 5'11) I was very small for me and I always had a stomach pouch even at my smallest...I think it is pcos related because my doc said that is one of the common symptoms for someone who has it. I have always had a issue with my stomach..I HATE it :sad:
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and clearly at my size I have bigger problems than a pooch (I am an apple and at my heaviest looked like a potato on toothpicks), but abdominal fat is seen a lot in PCOS patients. Abdominal fat and insulin resistance are frequently seen together and insulin resistance is a common trait of PCOS, so PCOS and abdominal fat are also seen together.

As to whether that is the reason you are shaped the way you are, I don't know. It may be just your build. If you Google PCOS and belly fat, there are lots of articles on it.
  • RedJem
    RedJem Posts: 4
    Options
    A couple of ladies were asking for info a few days ago about tightening the belly loose skin. I looked into it all gave me the same advice sit ups i know painful words.
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hi, i have PCOS and ive NEVER had a flat stomch...of course ive been overweight my entire life so dont know how that plays into it...and i have an underactive thyroid, so its hard to know what its caused from, exactly.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    A couple of ladies were asking for info a few days ago about tightening the belly loose skin. I looked into it all gave me the same advice sit ups i know painful words.

It's not loose skin, it's fat. I don't have a lot of belly fat, but it's enough that it gives me a small pooch.
  • polegirl23
    polegirl23 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a PCOS sufferer and totally agree with you on this one. Even at my thinnest I have never had a completely flat stomach and I do attribute this to my PCOS, apparently it is a fact that us women with PCOS tend more likely to hold fat around our middles. I consider myself to be at my healthiest and fittest right now and am happy with my body and weight but my stomach is still not completely flat and I'm starting to think it may never be! It is frustrating to see some of my friends who are unhealthy, eat rubbish and do very little exercise (skinny-fat) but have totally flat bellies and I feel I work my *kitten* off but can't get there!! Another joy of this great syndrome we have I guess!!
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have always been overweight and have always carried weight in my mid-section and I am insulin resistant. However...Jillian Michaels has PCOS and she has a flat stomach. But working out and looking good are her full-time job. So, my answer is that I believe anyone can have a flat stomach if they truly set their mind to it and put in the time and hard work.
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I've ALWAYS had a pregnant looking belly... even when I was a kid. From what I understand, fluffy cysters will always have a rounded belly unless they get it professionally fixed. Thin cysters tend to not have this problem though...
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was going to bring up Jillian Michaels, too!
    I have PCOS, & I haven't had a flat stomach at all in my adult life.
    I can't be sure if it's just that I've finally begun taking weight loss seriously (I've lost quite a bit of the stomach so far), or what.
    I don't think it'd be impossible, but it'll certainly be harder.
    :c I haaate that aspect of PCOS.
    I'm glad I'm not alone in that thought.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and strenght training is what made all the difference

11614737_104.jpg
  • Moin78
    Moin78 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a fellow PCOSer and at my thinnest, I still had that pooch. At the time, I was so thin, my psychologist thought I was anorexic, so that gives you an idea. I wasn't and have never been anorexic. I did work for a flat stomach back then and never attained it. I would not be a bit surprised if this is just one of those things that goes with the territory.
  • sstein21
    sstein21 Posts: 25
    Options
    I ued to be a toothpick, but once into my 20's the weigh starte dto come on, and now into my 30's i get asked if in Prego all the time....I cant seem to get rid of the lower pooch either =(
  • 140Aimee
    140Aimee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hiya! I have PCOS and have unfortunatley had massive amounts of weight gain since 15 years old. Before then though even at my slimmest I ALWAYS had a belly on me, i don't think there was ever a time i had a flat tummy! From what I've read online alot of us produce more testosterone than people without PCOS and as men tend to carry weight around there tummy that explains why alot of girls with PCOS do as well. It's just what i've read online though, and from my own experience x
  • FunandFitMom
    FunandFitMom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's coincidental or truly related, but regardless of my weight, I always have a little pooch in my lower stomach, even though my midsection is fairly flat. Looks like there are several of us in the same boat (Doesn't mean I won't stop trying to shrink the poocj down though!) :smile:
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have had pcos all of my life-(I'm over 50-dear Lord, how'd that happen?!) I digress. Anyhow, most if not all pcos symtoms are caused by thyroid issues-I'd had mine tested several times and was told that all of my levels were within normal range. Until my unusually thick hair started thinning, that I read up on thyroid problems and had one test done. Normal range is <9-mine was>496!!!!! I am on 15mcg. of Armour thyroid, and am feeling well, and finally starting to lose weight. So-talk to your doctor and ask for the Antibody Thyroid Level-ATB. It was the only test that finally verified what I'd been feeling like since I was a teenager. Good Luck!!!