Adding lifting to my routine...

Options
So I had a follow-up with my trainer yesterday and she's decided to start me on weights. I'm really excited about starting on lifting but I'm a little nervous. I've seen posts on here with mfp'ers saying that you gain at first with lifting. Did you gain weight when you first started lifting? If so about how much and for how long? Also my trainer says I should see results rather quickly, like in a 2 week period. Not on the scale, mind you but definitely in the way my clothes fit. My husband seems to agree with her. What has your experience been???

Replies

• LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I gained recently with lifting, but I was really excited about it. I can see a big change in my body since I started lifting--it's tighter than I'd ever be able to get it with just cardio. I think it's a great idea, don't be scared!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Usually you gain first, but it is just water weight. Lifting creates micro tears in your muscles, so they store water to protect them, and to aid in recovery, once you get use to the workouts your body will shed most of that water.

I would suggest not weighing yourself for 2-3 weeks, if you don't want to see a higher number.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I want to know too. :D
  • BeckaT79
    BeckaT79 Posts: 216
    Options
    I started lifting/weight training about 12 weeks ago. I have noticed a huge difference in my arms and legs. I only try to do weights 3x a week and the rest is dedicated to cardio. I have lost 20 lbs in the last couple months and I think a big part of it is the weight lifting. It doesn't hurt to try it and it is better to put on a little weight due to muscle gain instead of a lot of weight due to eating :-) Good luck!!
  • justfungrandma
    justfungrandma Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am considering the same thing. I have already been doing some arm work, but have always thought that a woman should lift lighter weights for lean muscles. I have been reading on here that I should be doing heavy lifting to sculpt muscles. Can someone give me advice on this.....How much weight should I lift and in what type of exercises? I exercise at home, but I have dumb bells up to 20 lbs.
  • phoenixoncemore
    phoenixoncemore Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm considering this too. Any help would be appreciated! :flowerforyou:
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Yes its true that you gain first at lifting. Not to worry though, its usually awesomness that you gain. Everyone likes awesomness because its awesome and looks good in a two piece.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    You might see a temporary gain on the scale, but it's just fluid retention, not true "weight gain."
  • meeulk
    meeulk Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Even if you do gain lbs, you'll be gaining muscle which will burn more calories when you're just sitting on your butt! WIN!
  • koyangi
    koyangi Posts: 14
    Options
    I have been doing martial arts (jiu jitsu and kick boxing) and on "off nights" and started doing strength training with weights. I was able to see increased strength, flexibility, balance, speed, and even endurance by the second week of adding the weights. My weight loss has started to level off, but the difference in the way clothes fit is significant. I actually had to order another belt for jiu jitsu because the one I was using was getting too long and I was in danger of tripping on the ends because my waist was getting smaller. I have not gotten a lot bigger but more "solid" and am now able to keep up with the students in their 20s (I am 40). It really is amazing how much better your body works as a whole as you get stronger.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Your lean mass (bone, sinew, muscle) can increase, especially since new. You'll also retain more water as muscle heals.

Muscle grows at an extraordinarily slow pace. Well, actually, it grows incredibly fast, in relation to other parts of your body, but you won't be packing on pounds a week of muscle. Maybe ounces. Maybe.
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yes its true that you gain first at lifting. Not to worry though, its usually awesomness that you gain. Everyone likes awesomness because its awesome and looks good in a two piece.

Yep! Not EVERYONE gains when they start lifting, but that's what generally happens. The first thing you should do before starting? Pull out the measuring tape! That's where you'll really see the difference. Scale-shmale.
  • sophsw
    sophsw Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump for later, am planning on starting lifting on monday
  • Mo_babee
    Mo_babee Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses so far. You all have me really excited!!!
    Especially this...

I absolutely love being awesome and being even awesom”er” would be awesome!!! Lol. Yeah I think I'll take the advice and try not to weigh myself for the first two or three weeks. And I taped myself yesterday, so I will be able to register the change.
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    I was stuck at a weight plateau for 8 weeks and then I started lifting. While I was on the weight plateau I had lost over 3 inches on my waist, and 2.5 off my hips, 1.75 off of my thighs but my jeans were not fitting any better. 3 weeks into lifting I lost 6lbs and finally shed 1 pants size. I am back up 3lbs but my pants are fitting much looser and my abs are looking much tighter!