Gain weight because I don’t have enough calorie intake.

enjoylisu
enjoylisu Posts: 8
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
Did any of you go to the doctors when you started gaining weight and they told you to watch what you ate. However, nothing seemed to work. I was just seen by a nutritionist and was told that 5% of people gain because they don't have enough calories. Does anyone have any suggestions has anyone else gone thru this? I just started doing myfitnesspal and it seems I always pass the sugars allowed but I am always away like 200-300 calories per day. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Replies

• godsgrl
    godsgrl Posts: 49
    Are you over or under 200/300 calories? Either way, I'm from the old-school belief that calories-in vs. calories-out = weight. If you eat less calories, you'll lose weight. Period. Ever seen a fat aneroxic b/c she/he doesn't eat enough calories? :)

Seriously, lots of common reasons for weight gain need to be ruled out by a doctor first: thyroid, hormone imbalance, etc... Find a dr who will listen to you and not just say "you are eating too much."

If all tests prove normal, then it is possible that you are really just eating too much.

hope this helps!
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    i used to add in a candy bar when i was under, now i try some Kashi bars or cliff bar if I'm really under. i seem to always go over on my sugar, protein and fiber, but its been working so far! if i go under on calories one day i try to be sure to get all of them in the next day(sometimes i go over):ohwell: until I plateau im gonna keep doing what im doing :bigsmile:

hope this helps you]
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,133 Member
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

pay really close attention to what you are eating---is it full of nutrition (fresh veggies, lean meat, complex carbs)
    have you eliminated all the empty calories (sugar, refined carbs, processed foods, white flour, etc)----are you drinking enough water? :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Are you measuring your portions accurately? A lot of us have no idea what portion size really means:laugh: :laugh:

have you eliminated caffeine and artificial sweeteners?

keep asking questions on MFP and keep a close watch on exactly what you are eating

be patient and never, never, never, give up:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • enjoylisu
    enjoylisu Posts: 8
    Well, I have been seen by many doctors and all test results come out normal. I have been keeping a food journals and I average between 900-1100 per day including all the condiments. This is the first time working with a Nutritionist and she was told me that I have to increase my calorie intake to at least 1400 per day. I only eat out once a week. She said there are only 5% of people who actually gain weight as oppose to loosing weight when they don't have enough calories.

To doctors and nutritionist are still not clear why this happens. The theory is that your body thinks it going to be starved so it retains the fats. And that I have to be consistant with my eating times so my body goes back to a normal metabolic rate.

I can't seem to finish all the portions that are recommended on a daily basis, its just too much!.She said I have to make little incrementes until I reach my calorie intake.

If there is anyone outhere who has gone or is going thru the same thing, please let me know if you have any advise.
  • mojomcgee
    mojomcgee Posts: 50
    The secret is to keep your blood sugar level. You could try eating several small nutritious meals throughout the day. It really works for some people.
  • Hi. Thanks for replying.
    Sometimes I don't have enough water doing the day. I really have to work on that.. other days I go overboard. I don't really eat candy, once in a while I eat a piece of chocolate. I been educating myself more about nutritional facts. I found this website that is very informative: http://www.health24.com/dietnfood/Healthy_foods/15-18-20-148.asp
    I am really learning a lot!!! I am eating more vegs and fruits now.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Well, I have been seen by many doctors and all test results come out normal. I have been keeping a food journals and I average between 900-1100 per day including all the condiments. This is the first time working with a Nutritionist and she was told me that I have to increase my calorie intake to at least 1400 per day. I only eat out once a week. She said there are only 5% of people who actually gain weight as oppose to loosing weight when they don't have enough calories.

To doctors and nutritionist are still not clear why this happens. The theory is that your body thinks it going to be starved so it retains the fats. And that I have to be consistant with my eating times so my body goes back to a normal metabolic rate.

I can't seem to finish all the portions that are recommended on a daily basis, its just too much!.She said I have to make little incrementes until I reach my calorie intake.

If there is anyone outhere who has gone or is going thru the same thing, please let me know if you have any advise.

I'm going through the same thing. I was gaining and gaining- yet only eating around 500 cals a day.

My body just shut down and held onto everything. I was so tired, foggy headed, in pain- you name it.

I'm now up to where I can eat 1200-1300 cals most days. Every once in a while I can't eat that much- but it backfires and sets me back.

The advice you've been given is right- it takes a while to buld up to eating again. Our bodies just don't know what to do with that much food! I know for me personally, it made me sick to even try to eat at first. It's getting easier everyday- so there is hope!

I've also found that when I can't eat (I'm not perfect, just trying to improve) I can still drink calories. So I keep milk and peanut butter on hand so I can make a smoothie. Look up smoothie recipies- they're so much easier to get started with.

Another thing I've noticed is that if I don't exercise- Im not hungry. I don't mean not hungry like 'I'll just have half a sandwich' hungry- more like I simply can't eat anything over 100 cals at a go.

Something else I do is have nuts on hand at my work station. I can nibble on a nut here and there and get my calories up.

((((Hugs)))) You're not alone in this- there are more of us!:flowerforyou:
  • Hi... It's good to know I am on the riht track and not alone. I guess keeping up is the challenging part. I am learning a lot from this site. If you have any further advise please let me know.

Thank you!
  • If it were not for all my stupid times of starving myself for days at a time...I know I would be a smaller person today. I've put my body through a major roller coaster ride and I was too young and uneducated about it to even realize what I was doing. Since i've started my new weight loss journey I have no less than 1200 calories a day and have lost more weight this way than starving myself. And let me tell you, I feel a lot happier too becuase eating too little just takes the life right out of you and drags you down!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

Here's an old post that contains an article that may interest you.:flowerforyou:
  • drtbottom
    drtbottom Posts: 14 Member
    Sometimes planning helps you get the food in that you need. I write down the time on each piece of food. 7:00 Nutritional Shake 9:00 Soy Chips (salt and vinegar) 12:00 Protein Bar (Cinnamon Raisin) 2:00 Yogurt 4:00 TV Dinner (Cafe Steamer so good!!!) 6:00 Protein Bar, Yogurt, Soy Chips, Fruit, or Carrots with low fat ranch dip. If you plan it out like this, you will find yourself checking the clock and managing your eating habits. After a week of this, you won't be thinking about fattening things. You will think of what you can eat to maintain your routine. I have one day to eat what i want and thats Saturday. I hope this helps.
  • http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

Here's an old post that contains an article that may interest you.:flowerforyou:

WOW.... this was really interesting... THANK YOU!!!!
    I think I get what this is saying... I think is true because getting used to eating more is a very big challenge... Not only does your body not feel hungry, but also because you get full sooner...
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    A few weeks ago, after not losing/gaining slightly, I upped my calories to 1370 from 1200, based on an adjusted activity level. And guess what? NOW I'm losing!! It DOES work..listen to those who've been there. Less is not always, necessarily, better...in the case of fueling our bodies.
  • MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I cannot lose anything without eating at least 1600 + my exercise calories everyday.

But if I go over by like 200 cals just ONE day once in a while, I gain weight.

It's crazy. My body is apparently very picky... hehe.
This discussion has been closed.