Entering in my strenght training and no calories show up

Options
Ok, so what am I doing wrong, I go to put in when I do strength training, there is no calories that are burned show up, but if I log in the cardio, it shows calories burned. Is there something that I am doing wrong? For instance, I tried to look up bench press in the cardio section and it didn't show up. Does MFP not show how many calories are burned from bench press, dead lift, etc.?

Replies

• jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    log your total amount of strength training time in Cardio under 'strength training' and it will estimate a calorie burn for you. Then keep track of specific exercises in strength training section if you like :)
  • arkansascountrygirl
    arkansascountrygirl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I had to do it under cardio as well. had the same problem. I don't think they know how to set it up correctly. they also don't show anything for 1 mile walking very brisk either.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I had to do it under cardio as well. had the same problem. I don't think they know how to set it up correctly. they also don't show anything for 1 mile walking very brisk either.

This was intentional as the strength training section is for tracking progress, not for caloric expenditure. see the first reply and enter "strength training" in the cardio section for an estimate of calories burned.
  • vancil01
    vancil01 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do not like the strength training section on here. It is WAY too limited. Like they expect you to do X sets of X at one weight and nothing else lol.

My program is very different from that so I just keep track on a notebook...I will track it in the cardio section to get an estimated cal burn from now on though, good call!
  • Pizzagirl50
    Pizzagirl50 Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Everything is done by time not distance. I hate that my *kitten* busting "run" is categorized as walking.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    They purposely set it up so that it doesn't show calories from strength training, because it is pretty much impossible to give an accurate estimate for each person.

Walking does show calories burned, but there's no option to put in "one mile walked" so I am guessing you told the program that you walked for one minute.
  • aeberly01
    aeberly01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I honestly have no clue what machines are called that I work when I go to the gym. I never log strength training because of that and when I did try to log some it didn't show calories. I thought maybe that meant that "those calories" didn't count. I know it sounds dumb, but I knew I did it so I guess that was good enough for me.
  • sunshine421969
    sunshine421969 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    have wondered the same thing...I have did a good bit of strength training over the last three weeks and didn't get no calorie burn for it...So I can't wait to read some answers on this question...Thanks for asking...
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Everything is done by time not distance. I hate that my *kitten* busting "run" is categorized as walking.
    Only if you logged it under "walking". There are entries for running in the database. And, if you can't find one that you like, you can create your own.
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Good to know, was wondering this myself....though I was just considering those calories burned as bonus calories!
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Might be time to invest in a HRM and enter calories burned in cardio based off the HRM. It is easier and you get an accurate number.
  • BTag3
    BTag3 Posts: 14
    Options
    If you go under the exercise category you can customize and put your run info in there and save it to use again.. have your own categories and I think even share with others if you choose. Kind of like you can do with food. : ) You can even call it an "*kitten* busting run" if you want to! I bet you can google what the calories would be and come up with a good count and use that to keep track and help others too.
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Yep, log it under cardio. I've been pleasantly surprised by how much I actually burn strength training. I work with a trainer twice a week and thought I was only burning 200-250 calories, but after getting an HRM, it's more like 400-500 in a hour!
  • methodless
    Options
    Good to know, was wondering this myself....though I was just considering those calories burned as bonus calories!

What she said
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have just started working on our boflex at home with my hubby at night and I had a hard time figuring out how to log it.

So I just made up a name for it (Boflex w/hubby I know real creative) and enter in all 1's in the Rep slots. I just want it on there so I can track how often I am doing it.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I log my strength training as cardio. I usually do a warm up on an elliptical to get my heart rate up and then switch to the machines, working through them pretty quickly to keep it up. I take my average heart rate for that time and load it into a calorie calculator that uses my height, weight and duration of activity. It's been working for me so far.
  • mstaser
    mstaser Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    My weight training is fast pace so I enter it as time of circuit training. I have used HRM and its real close.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I learned this the hard way too...But in the cardio you need to put an exercise into the database if it's not in there(like the food database)...Plus even if something is already in there you have no idea what this person weighed at the time so the cals burned will be different than yours anyway....I always add my own exercises with my weight according to my hrm to make sure it's accurate...At least I hope it is...

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I honestly have no clue what machines are called that I work when I go to the gym. I never log strength training because of that and when I did try to log some it didn't show calories. I thought maybe that meant that "those calories" didn't count. I know it sounds dumb, but I knew I did it so I guess that was good enough for me.

Sounds like an investment in a personal training session or two might help you meet your goals, rathed than just "going to the gym" and not having any realistic goals in mind.

With regards to calories burned during weight lifting, this can vary greatly from one individual to another. Unless you're wearing an HRM, it's more of an estimate. For example, I'd surely burn more calories lifting 4 sets of 70 lbs over the course of 5 minutes than I would lifting 4 sets of 50 lbs over 10 minutes (while I check my cell phone, hair in the mirror, go for 3 drinks, etc).

Here's an article that may shed some light on the situation for you:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/76934-calories-burned-lifting-weights/

Personally, I don't weight train as cardio, I weight train to weight train. If It's a cardio day (like today coincidentally), I'll choose to run/bike/use an elliptical or whatever.