Craving Water

Options
I joined MFP about three weeks ago, and in addition to making an effort to eat healthier and exercise, I have also tried to up my water intake. I now find that I am constantly thirsty! My mouth always seems dry. I don't mind it, but I was wondering if this had happened to anyone else, or if anyone might know the cause.

Thanks!

Replies

• WVHeather
    WVHeather Posts: 53
    Options
    I can't really answer your question, but I am exactly the same way. I am ALWAYS thirsty. I have cut out all sodas and drink nothing but water. Sorry I couldn't help you, but just wanted to let you know that. :smile:
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Oh good someone else is always thirsty, phew!
    I'm always paranoid it's diabetes.
  • missyszy
    missyszy Posts: 3
    Options
    I dont have an answer for you but I was just telling the girl at work the same thing yesterday....I ALWAYS feel thirsty!!! So you are not alone :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Get your blood sugar checked.
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I mentioned this to my partner only this morning. I never drank water but have really increased it now and regularly have 8 or 9 glasses in a day. I experience more thirst than I ever did before when I drank no water at all.
  • migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Is it sugar water and do you leave a green spectrum trail?

More seriously...have you quantified how much water intake you've increased? It's easy to overestimate how much water you're drinking if you don't have some method (such as a 32 oz bottle filled up when I get to work and empty by lunch time with another in the afternoon) of measuring the amount you're drinking.

Just a thought...:drinker:
  • MandyMcAwesome
    MandyMcAwesome Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am having the same thing but it is mostly on the weekends, when I am not at my desk with a giant glass of water next to me. I think it's water withdrawls.
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Its normal

(haha, no its not diabetes!)

Just a physiologic response to having more water available.

I made a conscious effort to up my water about 2.5 years ago and I still crave water all the time - sweetened drinks no longer interest me

Your kidneys are thaking you for it :smile:
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I seem to be more thirsty than before I started. I used to drink squash, diet carbonated drinks and cups of tea throughout the week. I would then drink alcohol on Friday, Saturday and sometimes a Sunday night. I would drink maybe a pint of water a day.

Now I hardly touch carbonated drinks and alcohol. I don't drink squash. I have about 2 to 3 cups of tea a day and stick to maybe two pints of alcohol on the week. I drink around 6 to 8 pints of water a day now, but I get thirsty lol.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Have you guys increased your activity levels as well? More activity means your body uses more water.
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Hunger will mask itself as thirst.
  • elelat
    elelat Posts: 117
    Options
    I have always been a water junkie even before I decided to seriously diet.

What maybe happening s that instead of eating something, drinking anything else for once you associate thirst with water.

It also happens to people that stop smoking. They were used to smoke when they were actually thirsty.
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Hunger will mask itself as thirst.
    I thought it was the other way around? Sometimes thirst will mask itself as hunger if you eat a lot. I always thought that I was probably always this thirsty, but my mind thought it was hunger. Sometimes if you have hunger pains, and if you drink a glass of water, the hunger feeling will go away. This will indicate that you were actually thirsty. I was told this at Weight Watchers years ago. I tried drinking a glass of water whenever I felt hungry between meals, then waited about 15-20 minutes. If I still felt hungry, then I got a snack. A lot of the time, I was thirsty and not hungry.
  • TS143
    TS143 Posts: 5
    Options
    Maybe it's because you're eating too much protein..
  • theresak331
    theresak331 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because you're eating too much protein..

That's an interesting thought! A few days I have gone over my protein intake, but not by much. Can you explain to me how that would make me thirstier?