i'm not losing anything!!

Options
I've been dieting and exercising (at least 4 days a week) for a couple of weeks now and I cannot seem to lose anything! I'm stuck eating college food, but I have been choosing the lower calorie meals. I have, however, noticed that there is a lot of sodium in everythinggggg is that the problem? Or it is my exercising?

Replies

• mudar146
    mudar146 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking lots of water to balance our the sodium your consuming?
    And are you taking your measurments? You may be losing inches and that wont show on the scale!!

:) Good Luck to you!!
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Hi Im no expert but I struggle to lose on calorie counting Im losing slowly but its getting the whole thing right
    Calories too little or too many you wont lose
    Protein carbs sat fat
    water exercise
    Im just doinf 1200-1300 cals a day dont eat exercise calories some weeks I lose 0.5lbs others 3lbs?

How many cals are you eating a day?
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Take pictures... nuff said.
  • nfcaringi
    Options
    I can fully relate... I have been stuck at 178 (supposedly 8 lbs over my high end BMI ) and can't shed a blessed pound.. I work out 6 days a week (3 days playing tennis for an hour or so) and 3 days doing an hour of cardio and then 45 minutes of combined core and weight training... The hard part for me is that I will be 70 next year and between the reduced need for regeneration of cells and the muscle mass it seems impossilbe to lose weight... God bless and good luck:happy:
  • beautifuldisaster37
    Options
    Your exersizing! your building muscle which weighs more than fat. So all the fat your losing from exersize and dieting is being countered by the muscle and your equalizing on the scale. My advice would be to judge your success by the way your feeling and how your clothes are fitting looser. forget your scale for now, sometimes it can be your biggest enemy while dieting. It is just a number. Your in college too. Don't forget to keep track of your recreational beverage calories too lol
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting and exercising (at least 4 days a week) for a couple of weeks now and I cannot seem to lose anything! I'm stuck eating college food, but I have been choosing the lower calorie meals. I have, however, noticed that there is a lot of sodium in everythinggggg is that the problem? Or it is my exercising?

If you have been doing this for two weeks or so and you had everything set properly you should notice at least a pound or two by now, I doubt it is water retention. Yeah you are probably building some muscle, but you should still be able to lose weight at the same time.

Are you losing inches?
    How diligent are you at logging?
    What is your caloric defecit?
    What's your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE = BMR x activity level)?
    Are you eating back all your calories?

It is simple mathmatics: if you eat less than you burn, you will lose weight.
    Somethings isn't set right, don't worry, we will get it figured out!
  • ryanpaulsullivan
    ryanpaulsullivan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with taking measurements. If you are doing a lot of cardio, or any weight lifting, it's entirely possible that you could be building muscle, which will balance out the fat you've been losing in terms of weight. Monitor your progress using the mirror, not the scale.
  • Carissaisip
    Options
    Drink loads of water. I bet you it's all muscles, not fat.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I have been working out for about a month and a half four days a week and have lost 4 pounds total. You need to stay away from the college food. There is always healthier options, if you have a fridge you can make quick healthy on the go lunches and snacks. You will want to plan that ahead and stick with your plan. Yes, you will want to drink lots of water. And, you may not lose much weight. All depending on your height, how much overweight you are, ect. You could be toning your body and losing inches but not weight. Don't rely on the scale so heavily. Maybe give yourself another monthy (without weighing yourself) and then weigh yourself. Healthy eating will help a lot. And always remember, even if you arent losing weight at least you are working out and giving your heart excersize. Stick with it. You can do it!!
  • kis5294
    kis5294 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I drink between 6-8 cups of water a day. I haven't been taking measurements but when I look in the mirror I don't really notice a difference. I have been eating the exercise calories, maybe I should just stop that? Maybe I am just building muscle and not noticing? I'll see what I look like in another week or so. Thanks for all your help!
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Could be that your retaining excess water from too much sodium. stay away from sugar too. Sugar makes me happy but it also makes my scale read larger numbers which then makes me unhappy... so. we all know the answer there. :)
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? If you starve your body, it will hold on to everything it gets!
  • sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck at my current weight for weeks, which seems like FOREVER! I have tried to shake things up with diet changes and different exercises but ultimately I think my issue is I need to give it more time. I have no patience so time is my enemy.

Also take measurements, I have lost 1.5 inches in my waist alone...of course I also would like to see the scale moving. :)
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I seen this link on a group I'm a member of on Facebook. Might help! http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1638
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I have been choosing the lower calorie meals. I have, however, noticed that there is a lot of sodium in everythinggggg is that the problem? Or it is my exercising?
    Exercising might make you a pound or two heavier for a few days due to the muscles being swollen. Sodium might mean you retain more water on one occasion, but if you eat sodium high foods every day you don't keep retaining more and more water every day until you weigh 300lb!

Exercising and eating high sodium meals will not stop you losing weight for four weeks.

What will stop you from losing weight is eating an amount that is exactly the same as the amount of energy that you expend. As you're already exercising four times a week, the answer is simply to eat fewer calories than you are now.

Look at the amounts you're eating, and see whether you can make any changes to what you're eating.
  • Emagali74
    Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If you opened up your diary people could help you more.

Without knowing your intake and what you burn my guess is youre not eating enough....

But yeah high sodium will keep the weight on....
  • mrstaggs
    mrstaggs Posts: 5
    Options
    I was ~190 coming into college. Now, I'm a sophomore, and I weighed 218. That's too much weight. SOO, I looked up a bunch of stuff, and I know these are hard to follow in college, but these are the things I make sure I do every day.
    1. Get up 15 min. earlier and go to bed 30 min. earlier than usual.
    2. Before you start getting ready or eating or anything, drink an ICE COLD glass of water
    3. Eat breakfast
    4. Eat 30g of protein every morning or less for girls (I drink whey protein)
    5. No alcohol (worst part IMO)
    6. Exercise an hour a day and track everything you do.

I've lost 7.2 lbs in a week and a half. I know that sounds dangerous, but I always eat when I'm hungry, and I never feel sick.

Also, make sure you do push ups, sit ups, or some kind of weight training. It takes more energy to maintain muscle which means your metabolism will have to work harder as you develop more lean muscle.
  • jsapninz
    Options
    I drink between 6-8 cups of water a day. I haven't been taking measurements but when I look in the mirror I don't really notice a difference. I have been eating the exercise calories, maybe I should just stop that? Maybe I am just building muscle and not noticing? I'll see what I look like in another week or so. Thanks for all your help!

I am really bad at judging weight loss too without seeing numbers. How do your jeans fit? They don't lie. Are they getting baggy at the waist or butt?

You should always make sure you are eating at least your BMR, but you have to be careful when you are eating back your calories because alot of times calculators will overstimate your burn. If you TDEE is set properly you shouldn't need to eat them back at all, technically.

If you are building muscle and not noticing then you will be "smaller" overall, so do the jeans test.

You are not going to lose any weight if your caloric defecit isn't correct. Do you know what yours is?
  • jsapninz
    Options
    If you opened up your diary people could help you more.

Without knowing your intake and what you burn my guess is youre not eating enough....

But yeah high sodium will keep the weight on....

Eating more will NOT help you lose weight.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I agree with taking measurements. If you are doing a lot of cardio, or any weight lifting, it's entirely possible that you could be building muscle, which will balance out the fat you've been losing in terms of weight. Monitor your progress using the mirror, not the scale.
    Nobody who has been "dieting" for four weeks will have built sufficient muscle to cancel out fat loss.

Eating at a deficit, gaining a couple of pounds at the most is possible as a woman beginner to weight training, but that takes literally months.