How do YOU define "lifting heavy"?

Options
I see this phrase a lot on MFP but a quick search didn't make the term any clearer. The reason I ask is that I am a tall (6'2") skinny guy (at least now I am, after dropping 25 lbs to my current weight of 170). Age 48. I strength train 3X weekly using a program set up by a trainer and I do cardio (cycling, spinning) 1-2X weekly. I have been carefully making sure I am getting enough calories and protein and I walk out of the gym pretty spent (i.e. applying deodorant post-workout is painful; okay maybe a bit of an exaggeration). I've been at this four months and while I am definitely stronger and a bit bulkier, it sure would be nice to see more benefit from the hard work.

I read a lot of the threads on MFP regarding strength training and I'm pretty much stumped. True, genetics play a role but sheesh! Advice much appreciated. How can I kick it up a notch?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    heavy is just heavy for you. i like to think of it at the 5 rep range area.. but it can be w.e

.. re read your thing.. what exactly is your question? if you are eating right. and training right... and sleeping right.. its really all you can do.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    For me, heavy would be when i can only complete 6 or less reps with a given weight with good form.
  • BigL0s
    BigL0s Posts: 133
    Options
    from my strength and conditioning coach I learned his definition of heavy. 1-5 reps at most. Light work was 8-12, which for others is heavy. 1-5 reps was mostly solely for strength, 8-12 was more hypertrophy based.
  • tgzerozone
    tgzerozone Posts: 160
    Options
    Heavy is when you do an amount of reps and you can just push out the last rep, if you can still push out 2 or 3 more reps beyond your rep range, you are not lifting heavy enough.

You say you get enough cals and enough protein in your cals? How much do you get? Numbers?

Also what are you trying to achieve, I'm assuming pick up some size?
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    Thanks for the replies all. It seems that 5 reps is standard as the definition of heavy lifting. I am currently at 10 reps so I will decrease to 8 for starters (with weights such that I am lifting to fatigue) and then go to 5. I admit though. a BIG concern of mine with the heavier weights is injury. I understand good form is key but it is also surprisingly difficult to get right! My dead lift is a good example, which is pretty awful compared with some of the Youtube videos I watch.

Regarding calories and protein, my diary is open but since I hit my target weight, I am consuming 2,100-2,800 calories per day and 100-150g of protein. I burn around 250 calories during a strength workout of 60 minutes and 600 calories for a cardio workout of 60 minutes. I take two rest days per week.

Upping the protein is something I have thought about but I already have a high protein diet and getting over 150g per day unless I eat a steak is tough. I have a healthy appetite and I'm not picky about food so any suggestions to up the protein are appreciated.

Thanks much.

Dave
  • dtpss188
    dtpss188 Posts: 85
    Options
    Dave,

Agree with 5-6 reps is "heavy." But what nobody has mentioned is "failure." Doing 5-6 reps is not heavy if you could do 5 more reps. Doing 8 - 12 reps also means little if you don't grasp the concept of failure. Lets say you do a warm up or 2 and then 4 sets with progressively increasing weight. By the last set or 2 you should be exercising to failure. That is why spotters are so important. Now there are a lot of variance in programs so many people will come up with slilghtly different programs. So expect a powerlifter to say one thing, a body builder to say another, and a football player to say something else. Make all of this information work for you, after all it's Dave's workout. Just stay safe, use a spotter, and embrace failure. At the same time you should understand the concept of overtraining as well. That's yet another consideration.
  • bmatsumoto
    bmatsumoto Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I no longer do 1RM but I ideally stay in the six rep range at minimum. If I can't get six, i'll lower the weight - its worked pretty well for me. don't get injured like I have in the past and my strength consistently seems to keep moving up - even if its an extra rep or 5 lbs added from the last workout.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It's whatever is heavy for you.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    For me, heavy is a struggle. It's heavy when I break out the lifting belt and mouth guard, when I grunt and groan but am able to keep my form. Right now, heavy is 125# squat for reps and 225# deadlift. A few weeks ago, those numbers were dramatically lower. Heavy is a fluid definition, depending on your shape.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Conan the Barbarian shouldn't have a problem lifting heavy. Heavy is whatever you can do with low reps.
  • willidewbaby
    willidewbaby Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    you might want to try cutting out one cardio day also.
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    For me, heavy would be when i can only complete 6 or less reps with a given weight with good form.

^^This....although, for me it would be 6-8 reps.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Dave,

Agree with 5-6 reps is "heavy." But what nobody has mentioned is "failure." Doing 5-6 reps is not heavy if you could do 5 more reps. Doing 8 - 12 reps also means little if you don't grasp the concept of failure. Lets say you do a warm up or 2 and then 4 sets with progressively increasing weight. By the last set or 2 you should be exercising to failure. That is why spotters are so important. Now there are a lot of variance in programs so many people will come up with slilghtly different programs. So expect a powerlifter to say one thing, a body builder to say another, and a football player to say something else. Make all of this information work for you, after all it's Dave's workout. Just stay safe, use a spotter, and embrace failure. At the same time you should understand the concept of overtraining as well. That's yet another consideration.

This.

"Heavy" is doing the number of reps for your strength training goal and in the last couple reps you have to really work to get them while maintaining good form, or physically cannot do them (reach the point of failure). As a physical trainer friend of mine once put it - it's those last couple of reps, where you're pushing your limits, that matter in building strength. The rest of the reps are just working up to that point.
  • jsteffen80
    jsteffen80 Posts: 136
    Options
    Stop the nonsense that isn't giving you desired results and read 'Starting Strength' 3rd Edition by Mark Rippetoe. It's a no bullsxxt book that will demystify strength training and set you on a course for making significant gains in both size and strength.
  • FireballStrike
    FireballStrike Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump for later!
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    If you want strength then workout with power lifters. True raw awesome power, I'm 6'3" and use to be skinny back before I started PL. Before I quit lifting I weighed 275 up from 175 and could turn a car over. I started back up after 12 years passed back in December and the gains I'm making now are better because I'm eating right and am much leaner. By this December I hope to be lifting almost where I was before but weigh 50 lbs. less.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I define it as a constantly challenging my body to lift it's maximum in every workout. (to failure)
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I agree heavy is what is heavy for you as you go along you will get stronger and stronger . My daughter snatches 250 pds, clean and jerks 316 pds, back squats 473, and dead lifts 440 pds but that has taken her 4 years of hard training. So be patient. Slow and sure wins the race. Technique then strength Good Luck to you
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You mentioned the # of cals you consume but not whether it is a surplus. It is generally recommended to consume 15% over your maintenance to build muscle. If I remembered your height & weight correctly (I used 6' 3", 170lbs), your maintenance using Mifflin-St Jeor would be 2681, putting your build calories at 3083 (15% over maintenance). You may want to increase your cals and incorporate protein shakes/supplements if you're having trouble getting enough protein and cals. BCAA supplements and pre-workout supplements may help you as well. I was unable to see your diary, so I don't know if you are already using any. I think failure at 5 to 8 reps is a good number to shoot for when choosing your weights. Try some lifting programs on bodybuilding.com if you haven't already. Great job getting leaned out. Good luck on your quest to bulk up! :drinker:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Pick a weight you can lift once with great effort.
    Thats your 1 rep max.
    Take 30% off for a 5 rep start.
    Take 60% off for hypertrophy lifting 8-16 reps.

Every week add a rep or 2.5lbs.