i'm not losing anything!!

Options
2»

Replies

• jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck at my current weight for weeks, which seems like FOREVER! I have tried to shake things up with diet changes and different exercises but ultimately I think my issue is I need to give it more time. I have no patience so time is my enemy.

Also take measurements, I have lost 1.5 inches in my waist alone...of course I also would like to see the scale moving. :)

You are eating too much if you really aren't losing lbs in "weeks." It's not about patience at that point, it's that something isn't working.
    Drop your daily caloric intake by like 250 cals. Re assess in a week or two and drop again if necessary.
  • Ebwash89
    Ebwash89 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Dont rely soley on the scale. Trust me! If its staying the same and not going up thats good. From personal experience I was stuck at a certain weight for a long time and got frustrated. Meanwhile people were telling me I look smaller. I didnt believe them because the scale wasnt moving but the next time I went shopping I discovered that I dropped a whole size but not a pound on the scale. Stay Strong! Inches are more important than the numbers
  • MCB268
    MCB268 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. It's frustrating.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting and exercising (at least 4 days a week) for a couple of weeks now and I cannot seem to lose anything! I'm stuck eating college food, but I have been choosing the lower calorie meals. I have, however, noticed that there is a lot of sodium in everythinggggg is that the problem? Or it is my exercising?

Ignore the advice to eat less until you do some math, you could just make it worse.

You are probably easily eating under what you expend all day on all activity TDEE, if your metabolism is running full steam.
    You mention in profile already yo-yo dieting - that means your body has probably gotten good at slowing your metabolism down really fast when it see a big change.

So do yourself a favor and do it better for long term this time.

MFP - Tools - BMR calc

Is your daily net that you are doing below that figure?
    Are you hungry at all eating at that level, if it is below?
    That means your metabolism has lowered already, it is no longer as high as the estimated healthy BMR could be.

So, do you feel like eating even less, or exercising even more, and making it suppress even more after a short lag time?
    Then what?

So, go back to Settings - Diet/Fitness Profile, and if you selected sedentary (probably incorrect, probably burn much more than that from daily activity), then select 1 lb a week goal.

Check if the new net daily goal is slightly above your BMR now. If not, raise activity level 1 notch and check again.

Keep eating back accurate estimates of exercise calories - very smart there. Because if exercise gets the resources first, BMR will just have to lower again.
    Don't have accurate like HRM? Then knock 20% off any estimates and manually change them before logging.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    ummm its only been a few weeks right

funny-pictures-cat-has-no-patience.jpg
  • jsong11
    jsong11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with jannspizziri. I've "dieted" in the past without diligently counting my calories in and calories burned and sort of guess-timating how many calories my meals were. "A few beers" adds up to a lot more calories than I ever estimated. I didn't lose anything those times because i was way under-estimating what I was eating.

The other thing is that if it's only been a couple of weeks, there are other factors that could explain the lack of weight loss. For example, some women retain water during ovulation and also the start of their cycle.

and while any exercise and activity is a great start, there are other nuances to consider like making sure your heart rate gets up high enough to the point where you are starting to burn fat.

I'd say keep at it...keep diligently logging everything and following the guidelines from mfp, and try measuring your success with measuring tape instead of the scale.

Also...make sure you're sleeping a healthy amount. Giving your body the rest and recovery it requires is important for weight loss, and your health in general.
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you ask ten people, you 'll get ten different reasons and it's possible that none of them will relate to you. Read the responses, of course, but you'll have to try some different strategies. Make sure you make one change at a time and give it time to work (or not) before you move on. You'll figure it out. I'm probably older than your mother, but I've been having the same problem. I recently lowered the carbs slightly but kept the calories the same. I lost a pound in five days after not losing anything for over a month.

You'll get there. Keep trying. Don't give up.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your stuck in a plateau. Try Calorie Cycling! I swear by it! I was stuck at 140 over a month and dropped 3 pounds the first week I did calorie Cycling.
  • atx7
    atx7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Your exersizing! your building muscle which weighs more than fat. So all the fat your losing from exersize and dieting is being countered by the muscle and your equalizing on the scale.

Where do people come up with this stuff?
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Your exersizing! your building muscle which weighs more than fat. So all the fat your losing from exersize and dieting is being countered by the muscle and your equalizing on the scale.

OMG!!!! :explode:

Does-fat-weigh-more-than-muscle.jpg

^^^^^^^ hello!!
  • jsapninz
    Options

OMG!!!! :explode:

Does-fat-weigh-more-than-muscle.jpg

^^^^^^^ hello!!

Yes, but it takes A LONG TIME to build muscle. I don't know if it is possible to put on a pound of muscle in a week. But it IS possible and really easy to lose a pound (hopefully mostly fat, if you are eating your protien and exercising) in a week. Infact, most really overweight people can lose 2 lbs a week without having a problem. Don't console someone into complacency, even if you mean well.
  • atx7
    atx7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Don't console someone into complacency, even if you mean well.

Great quote!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it takes A LONG TIME to build muscle. I don't know if it is possible to put on a pound of muscle in a week. But it IS possible and really easy to lose a pound (hopefully mostly fat, if you are eating your protien and exercising) in a week. Infact, most really overweight people can lose 2 lbs a week without having a problem. Don't console someone into complacency, even if you mean well.

You are correct, there would need to be a free 600 cal worth of energy and decent protein and not eating under BMR for muscle to really be made.

But in 2 weeks it is very easy to train existing muscles to hold more glucose/water when you start exercising.

So more of a water weight gain, but since energy stores, very needed gain. And that doesn't show up as much as fat dropping.
    So same effect, different reason, still related to muscle.

But, OP had 30 to lose as goal, 2 lbs is unrealistic in many cases, like that.
  • jsapninz
    Options
    But in 2 weeks it is very easy to train existing muscles to hold more glucose/water when you start exercising.

So more of a water weight gain, but since energy stores, very needed gain. And that doesn't show up as much as fat dropping.
    So same effect, different reason, still related to muscle.

But, OP had 30 to lose as goal, 2 lbs is unrealistic in many cases, like that.

That is interesting, I had no idea!
    But I still think she should be able to lose an lb or two in four weeks, even if the muscles are storing stuff. Right?
    Yeah I think like 1 to 1.5 would be better for OP.

I think the mostly likely problem is a lack of accurate logging....