Flax seed products

Options
Good Morning all! :yawn:

I have a question about Flax seed. I know that this is a very benifical element to add to anyones diet and have recently looked into purchasing either the oil or the ground seed to add into numerous things that my son and I eat. But I was disgruntled when I saw the amount of calories in the products. : (

For those of you that use flax seed in any way, which product do you use, how much of it... therefore the calories in your serving.... and what do you mainly put it in??

Thanks for any input that you may share. :flowerforyou:

Have a lovely weekend!

Replies

• mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    I've read the most benefits from flax is from the ground seed. I bought a bag, blasted them in the food processor and I sprinkle a little over my peanut butter on a muffin. I probably eat a little under a tablespoon.
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Good Morning all! :yawn:

I have a question about Flax seed. I know that this is a very benifical element to add to anyones diet and have recently looked into purchasing either the oil or the ground seed to add into numerous things that my son and I eat. But I was disgruntled when I saw the amount of calories in the products. : (

For those of you that use flax seed in any way, which product do you use, how much of it... therefore the calories in your serving.... and what do you mainly put it in??

Thanks for any input that you may share. :flowerforyou:

Have a lovely weekend!

Hi girlygirl!

Flax seed is a staple in my family! I use the oil for salad dressing. One head of lettuce per tablespoon of oil (I usually use half a tbsp of olive oil and half a tbsp of flax oil), the juice of a whole lemon, and spices to taste. In almost everything my family and I consume, I sprinkle flaxseed meal on it! Salad, freshcut fruit, yogurt, spaghetti, baked fish or chicken, soups and stews, cereal, etc. I use Bob's Red Mill Flax Seed Meal. On a salad made up of a head of Romaine, I use about a tbsp. That salad will be divided between the 4 of us girls, so it's not much fat or calories at all! I LOVE the nutty flavor of flax seed! Just make sure that you're consuming the recommended 8 glasses of water, because too much fiber can cause a blockage, and you surely don't want that! <smile!>

Another thing about flax seed oil is that it is extremely delicate, so keep it in the fridge and only use it on raw food, or after you're done cooking whatever you want to put it on; it's a "finishing" oil.

Hope this helps!

All the best to you!

Susie :flowerforyou:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    A little goes a long way.

Besides the fiber element (2g of fiber per tablespoon) it is also contains HDL fats, which are GOOD for you. Just make room for them in your food plan. If you're doing it right, you can certainly spare 30 more calories for the sake of having the extra fiber in your diet.

To answer your question, I use ground flax seed, because whole flax is ineffective and passes right through with nary a how-d-doo.....

I put it in everything - spaghetti sauce, yogurt, soup, stew, salads, in meatloaf, muffins and banana bread, smoothies, pizza, peanut butter sandwiches, cereal, oatmeal, fruit salads, tuna salads, chicken salads, macaroni salads, potato salads, gosh there's not much it won't go on!! I even keep a baggie of it in my desk at work so that if I've forgotten to add it at home, or grab a meal in the cafeteria, I have some with me at all times.
  • girlygirl82
    girlygirl82 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great info! I am excited to begin adding this to my diet. And I do believe that I will be adding it to almost EVERYTHING!

Thanks again all! :happy:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    You can also use flax seed meal to replace some of the oil in baking. 3tbl flax will replace 1 tbl of oil. You can't replace all of the oil because you need the liquid but you can take out some and add some fiber into your muffins, banana bread, pancake, any kind of crunch topping, maybe even chocolate cake. I would try a white or yellow because you'd see it but in chocolate it would be hidden.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I eat a peanut butter brand called "Naturally Nutty" and it's all natural peanut butter with flax seed mixed in. It's great tasting, and then I don't have to worry about adding it myself. Hope that helps! :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I eat a peanut butter brand called "Naturally Nutty" and it's all natural peanut butter with flax seed mixed in. It's great tasting, and then I don't have to worry about adding it myself. Hope that helps! :flowerforyou:

I eat a similar peanut butter called Naturally More. It's made w/ flaxseed oil and has flaxseeds in it.

I buy the Hodgson Mill brand of ground flaxseed at Wal*mart. It's less than $2 for a box. Make sure to leave it in the refrigerator after opening.

1 tablespoon has 30 cals. I add it to my oatmeal, yogurt, cereal, pancakes, banana bread, etc.
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    ok i started a thread about flax seed oil, and now i see on here you can :tongue: get it at walmart is this down the baking isle?
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    ok i started a thread about flax seed oil, and now i see on here you can :tongue: get it at walmart is this down the baking isle?

I don't know about the actual oil, but you can get the ground flaxseed at Wal*mart in the baking aisle, kind of by the flour, baking powder, etc.
  • SusieSonshine
    Options
    Substitution Tips for Flax Seed

Substituting Fat:
    3 Tablespoons ground Omega Golden Flax Seed = 1 Tablespoon Margarine, butter or cooking oil.
    Substitute for all or some of the fat depending on the recipe.To substitute for all of the fat with flax seed, increase liquid by 75% as ground flax absorbs liquid. Baked goods brown more quickly.

Substituting Eggs:
    1 Tablespoon of ground Omega Golden Flax Seed plus 3 tablespoons water for each egg.
    Substitute a 1:3 ratio of ground flax seed and water mixture for each egg in recipes for pancakes, muffins and cookies. Allow to sit for several minutes together before adding to your recipe.

http://www.flaxusa.com
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    So what do you think about ground flax seed vs. capsules?
  • SusieSonshine
    Options
    So what do you think about ground flax seed vs. capsules?

I would soooooooooo much rather use ground flax seed than take a pill any day! Flax is sooo tasty! I make this amazing chocolate shake and I put two tablespoons of flax meal in it, as well as hemp protein powder. I put it on salads, in soups, on eggs, on fruit; there's just not anything I wouldn't put it on or in!

I make different variations of this chocolate shake, but here is the most basic:

2 cups of Pacific Organic Low Fat Almond Milk
    10 tablespoons of Cinch No Cholesterol/No Sodium Natural Cocoa Powder
    2 tablespoons of Blue Agave Nectar
    4 tablespoons of ground flax seed meal
    4 tablespoons of hemp protein powder
    2-3 cups of ice

Mix it all up in the blender and voila!! Talk about healthy and chocolatey! It's to die for!! This makes 2-4 servings (670 calories for the whole thing! so, if you divide it by two, then it's only 335 cals, and 168 cals if divided into 4 servings).

And this is MY version of strawberry shortcake:

A cup of fresh strawberries
    1/4 cup of coconut milk
    1/2 tbsp of blue agave nectar
    2 tbsp ground flax seed meal sprinkled on top
    1/8 cup of almond meal (optional)

Ohhhh my goshhhhh! I love it!! Yum!!!
  • Georg
    Options
    thanks!
    But smoothies/shakes are not my thing...
    what other ways are there to eat flax? And is the ground seed better than just a capsule?
  • SusieSonshine
    Options
    thanks!
    But smoothies/shakes are not my thing...
    what other ways are there to eat flax? And is the ground seed better than just a capsule?

Like I said, you can put it on or in anything!! I don't see how you could get much fibre in one or two capsules, and it surely wouldn't taste as good! Try my "shortcake" as a breakfast or snack! When you make a salad, add a tablespoon or two of flax meal. When you have eggs, sprinkle some flax meal on them. Instead of high calorie granola, sprinkle flax seed meal on yogurt! The possibilities are endless!
  • Georg
    Options
    Do you notice any - - - :ohwell:
    ummmm.... :frown:
    digestive differences???
    :blushing:
    Is that too much to ask?
  • SusieSonshine
    Options
    Do you notice any - - - :ohwell:
    ummmm.... :frown:
    digestive differences???
    Is that too much to ask?

LOL!!!!! For me, just 'regularity!!!!" hahahah!!! and, surprisingly, no flatulence!!!
  • Nanpoodle
    Nanpoodle Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes, I need my fiber more then ever now that I am over 50. I usually add it to my bran cereal or yogurt. Check out FLAXUSA at www.flaxusa.com as they are such nice people and their products are organic. I stocked up on the organic cold milled flax ground golden flax seed and try to fit it in my diet at least every other day - like everyone says, it is worth the extra calories, esp. for us old folgies!:flowerforyou:
  • Juicey1401
    Juicey1401 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I use Hodgson Mill Milled Flaxseed.
    Servings size is 2 tbsp = 60 cals

All Natural
    2600 mg of Omega 3-oils per serving
    Good source of Fiber
    Gluten Free
    No sugar
    No cholesterol
    No salt
    No Trans Fat

I use it everyday (5 x a day)

Haven't used the oil don't know how it affects the body.

And to answer the question on digestion...since I started eating flaxseed; it keeps me very regular (everyday and a few times a day) I hope that wasn't T.M.I.
  • SusieSonshine
    Options
    Yes, I need my fiber more then ever now that I am over 50. I usually add it to my bran cereal or yogurt. Check out FLAXUSA at www.flaxusa.com as they are such nice people and their products are organic. I stocked up on the organic cold milled flax ground golden flax seed and try to fit it in my diet at least every other day - like everyone says, it is worth the extra calories, esp. for us old folgies!:flowerforyou:

I LOVE FlaxUSA!!! It's inexpensive, and as you say, they are very friendly!!! A truly high quality product!!!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I just bought some golden flax seed in the bulk bins and ground it myself, since it goes rancid so quickly. I keep the ground flax and the whole seeds in the fridge. I have a coffee grinder that I use only for spices to grind the whole seeds. :happy: I usually just put it in my morning smoothie.