Having trouble eating enough calories :\

Options
Hi, my name is Emily. I am 5'3" and my current weight goal is 15 pounds. I have already lost 7 (yay!) but I am having trouble meeting my calorie goal for the day/week. By the end of the day, I still have 500 calories (after exercise), 50 carbs, and 33g of fat remaining. ( I get plenty of protein, but not too much :P) I eat 3 meals a day and lots of snacks, I feel like I am eating all day long!! Even though my body doesn't feel hungry and I am eating healthy snacks and meals all day, is it still bad that I am under 1200 calories?? Also, does anyone have any suggestions on non fatty foods that I can eat to get my remaining calories? Btw, I am on a VERY tight budget, I can't afford costly foods. (For example, almonds cost a lot more than soy nuts so I buy those instead)

Replies

• maybebaby40
    Options
    Try cheese- or a glass of milk- fruit juice- most are 100 calories per 8 oz-
  • exlaxref
    exlaxref Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Try some peanut butter.
  • dsagaties1963
    Options
    peanut butter or a nice glass of ice cold milk, that's what I do. I was told you should eat at least 1200 calories or your body goes into starvation mode!
  • kanmuri
    kanmuri Posts: 112
    Options
    Wow... I would love to have problems reaching my calorie goal.
  • Karmel1840
    Options
    I am always hungry
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    BOOZE!!!!!!
  • emilyfrappier
    Options
    All good ideas :) I especially like the idea of drinking milk or juice, because I really feel like I am eating alot ( I am full most of the time lol)
  • willidewbaby
    willidewbaby Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary up it will be easier to help. But fruit juice or peanut butter OR beer, good carbs and calories.
  • emilyfrappier
    Options
    Nooooo, booze dehydrates!! lawl
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Hello. Firstly, it would help if you opened your diary up so we can have a look at what you are eating.

Secondly - replace and "low fat" products with the real thing. Eat full fat yoghurt, cheese and real butter not spread. Better for you and tastier. Low fat stuff is usually crammed full of sugar and chemicals - ick.

Thirdly - it is very hard to have too much protein - you should be eating more than MFP suggests really.

If you can open up your diary I'm sure we can all make some more suggestions.

:-)
  • Sevio
    Sevio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You definitely should have more than 1200 calories per day. I did that for a week or so (not on purpose) and didn't lose anything and was very disappointed. I wasn't hungry either. I didn't feel like I was starving myself. So I have since up my calories to closer to 1500 even with burning about 600-800 calories per day w/exercise and this morning I jumped on the scale and I lost 2.6 lbs.

My suggestion to you is also peanut butter, milk, etc. Heck I don't think it will even hurt you to have a little treat sometimes. Dark Chocolate, I enjoy those Skinny Cow Heavenly Crisps...100 calorie popcorn...almonds...popchips...

Good Luck to you!!
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I know you asked for non fatty foods, but, since you are eating under...I agree with peanut butter (it is inexpensive:) A Tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil on a salad, a serving of salmon (if you like fish) - these will all do your body some good :)

Healthy fats are really important for your body. Your body can't absorb important fat soluble vitamins (A,D,E,and K) without adequate fat intake.

Here's some info to help explain things :)

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/skinny-fat-good-fats-bad-fats
  • emilyfrappier
    Options
    Sometimes I eat 40g more of protein than MFP suggests, and I am working on opening up my food diary for ya'll :P
  • emilyfrappier
    Options
    Oh, btw I haven't been on MFP very long so there aren't very many entries, and I am still learning on what kinds of foods to eat and not eat. :P Today's entry is just a rough draft XD
  • brideofanerd
    Options
    i'm having the same problem but for different reasons. i had gastric bypass surgery about a month ago. now i am only able to eat very tiny portions at a time and when i add it all up, it's usually less than 1000 calories a day. i do what i can but my body will only tolerate certain foods right now. it's very frustrating. i wish there way a way for this ap/site to take my new anatomy into consideration.
    -ash
  • jetlbomb
    jetlbomb Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You need calories dense foods. Any nuts or beans (even the cheap ones.)

Avocados are good.

Avoid non fat foods and instead go for low fat (even full fat if your calories and fat macro can handle it!)

Cheese!

Meat. Beef is fairly high in calories and has all that glorious protein. I would suggest steak but that's fairly expensive. How about grilled pork chops?

Congrats on losing 7lbs though! They always say the last 10lbs are the most difficult so you are doing well so far. Just keep exercising, don't have too much sugar, eat lots of protein and try and keep those calories up. And I'm sure we don't need to tell you to keep hydrated!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with jetbomb! I was about to post the same advice...
  • emilyfrappier
    Options
    Blah, I know I need some pork chops...haven't been to the grocery store!! LOL Thanks for the advice, it is very helpful :D
  • Normf
    Normf Posts: 1
    Options
    LOL @ the alcohol suggestions, when in her first post she said shes on a very tight budget . . .
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Your calorie needs are the same even with your new anatomy, so the site is not going to change that. In order to get more calories on a smaller stomach, you will need to eat smaller portions, higher caloric-density foods, more often.
    i'm having the same problem but for different reasons. i had gastric bypass surgery about a month ago. now i am only able to eat very tiny portions at a time and when i add it all up, it's usually less than 1000 calories a day. i do what i can but my body will only tolerate certain foods right now. it's very frustrating. i wish there way a way for this ap/site to take my new anatomy into consideration.
    -ash