Confused about carbs and fat?????

Options
Hi guys,

Ok guys im a bit confused to tell you the gods honest truth, I dont know whether im coming or going... so heres how it started:

I joined Pure Gym around 2 weeks ago and everything has been going brilliant I had been feeling alot better about myself and I started the healthy lifestyle right around the same time (well I had been eating healthy before but not really doing it properly and sticking to it). I was using alot of the different machines around the gym and not really knowing what I was doing I signed up for an induction, so they could basically tell me what to use and how to use it the right way...

So on Sat morning I met the personal trainor who was going to show me the ropes, it was great I went round all the machines he told me how to use each one and how to benefit from them, then he asks "are you on a diet, and what do you eat?" so I proceeded to tell him I have cut out all sweets, chocolate, crisps, and basically cut out all takeaways fatty foods and pastries, which I thought was doing me good and I would lose weight doing this as well as the gym. This is where it gets confusing he told me I am doing it all wrong :( , so I ask why he thinks this and he tells me that I should be watching all the carbs I am consuming like potatos, rice, pasta, bread, and eat more protein he said that fat is stored energy and this is what you burn off in the gym, so if you eat carbs and go to the gym your basically maintaining the weight that you are already becausec your only burning off what you ate that day. This put me right off I just left the gym feeling like everything I had done was for nothing and thats why I had only lost 2 lbs...

So from the day I was told this piece of info, I have been completely lost trying to watch the carbs the fat the sugar and I feel like im going round in circles, I am a big girl not trying to build muscle but trying to lose weight, so if anyone could shine some light on this subject I would be forever grateful

P.S sorry about the long winded story :)

Replies

• fightingdissonance
    Options
    He's right in that the carbs you're eating do make a difference, but wrong in how your body burns fuel. There is no direct metabolic pathway for fat to take to be burned as energy while working out, which it sounds like he was telling you. Your body needs good complex carbs for fuel. That could be something as small as having an apple with some peanut butter for a bit of protein an hour or two before the gym. Refined carbs should be avoided overall in diet, so no white bread, pasta, etc. Good complex carbs (the kind that it's best to try to stick to) comes in forms of whole grains (like whole grain bread, look for "whole wheat flour" or something similar as the first items on the label), vegetables, brown rice and pasta (which goes with whole grains). For fats, try to stick to as many monounsaturated fats as possible, which are found in things like olive oil, raw nuts, or avocado. Saturated fat should be limited (which is found in beef, dairy, etc) and trans fats should be avoided (in most processed foods). I know all the terms and types of foods out there can be exceedingly confusing, don't get discouraged, you're doing fantastically!

ETA: my answer is probably just more confusing, I'm sorry. Simply, processed carbohydrate isn't good for weight loss, and that sounds like what he was referring to. Eating more complex carbohydrate will give you the best kind of energy for long-burning fuel, and processed, refined (anything white, so white bread, pasta, potato, sugar) should be avoided or eaten in moderation. For fats, try to avoid trans fats but if you're eating minimal takeout or processed stuff you probably already are avoiding them. And 2 lbs in two weeks? That's great! 1-2 lbs weekly is a healthy loss (though you will likely lose a little more at first), so don't let nutrition confusion make you feel like you're doing something wrong. All the best :)
  • katw0407
    katw0407 Posts: 8
    Options
    When you work out your body will go to your carbs & fat for energy then start burning them. You don't really want to diet either because most people can't stick to a diet, then when they get off they gain the weight back and then some. You just want to make a life changed filled with healthier options, like no fast food or sugary drinks for example. Believe it or not, you need carbs, 45% of your daily calories should be carbs. People tend to think they need more protein but that's not the case unless you're a body builder or training for a marathon. Fats are important too, they regulate body heat, cushion vital organs & produce energy, you just have to be smart about it. Stay away from Trans Fat, it's man made & illegal in some areas because it causes heart problems!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Don't for a second, concern yourself with energy source while working out. There's no need to confuse things and trying to manipulate that sort of thing is just silly, as is your trainers advice. You DO want to consume a protein-rich diet and you DO want to consume dietary fat. Here's some information on this that, while confusing at first since it's a lot of information at once, should help you.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Eat at a calorie deficit.
    Consume adequate protein and fat
    Select mostly whole foods and allow some junk food here and there if you can do so in moderation
    Exercise
    Repeat.

That's it. Don't even begin to worry about whether or not you're burning off that piece of bread you ate because it makes no damn difference in the long run if you just stick to the above list. Lastly, potatoes and bread are fine.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Don't for a second, concern yourself with energy source while working out. There's no need to confuse things and trying to manipulate that sort of thing is just silly, as is your trainers advice. You DO want to consume a protein-rich diet and you DO want to consume dietary fat. Here's some information on this that, while confusing at first since it's a lot of information at once, should help you.

Select mostly whole foods and allow some junk food here and there if you can do so in moderation
    Exercise
    Repeat.

That's it. Don't even begin to worry about whether or not you're burning off that piece of bread you ate because it makes no damn difference in the long run if you just stick to the above lift. Lastly, potatoes and bread are fine.

Love it!!!
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    your trainer is right...kinda...you do have to watch those carbs cause its easy for them to add up...however you do need some as they beneficial and also are energy which you need...eat decent amounts of protein..occasionally have some kinda comfort food and exercise exercise exercise...lots of people swear of bread...its not that bad and there are several options available...and drink plenty of water too
  • shauneen4686
    shauneen4686 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys, your advice was well needed and very much appreciated. I will no longer worry and just keep doing what I was doing before the trainor confused me and put things in my head lol

P.S the website helped alot thanx sidesteal :)
  • velsbree
    velsbree Posts: 69
    Options
    It really is a simply calories in vs calories out, unless you are an elite athlete. Carbs do not stay with you making you feel hungry and without too much energy. Check your trainers credentials is he/she educated at the masters level or just another fit person with a certificate?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Ugh, it's really sad because the entire "anti-carb craze" is the EXACT same level of panic, fear, and insanity as the "anti-fat craze" 30 years ago. I keep hoping people will eventually smarten up and figure out that there is no one macro that is bad for you.

After all, people have been eating white potatoes and pasta for thousands of years, how come it's never been bad for us until all of a sudden now?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    After all, people have been eating white potatoes and pasta for thousands of years, how come it's never been bad for us until all of a sudden now?

doctors used to smoke cigarettes, heroin used to be legal over the counter....your logic
  • tigersword
    Options

doctors used to smoke cigarettes, heroin used to be legal over the counter....your logic
    Ahh, yes, let's compare carbs to cigarettes and heroin. Not like they didn't do the same thing with fat in the 80's or anything...

Why use logical fallacies for your argument? Shouldn't there be plenty of scientific evidence you can use instead?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Ahh, yes, let's compare carbs to cigarettes and heroin. Not like they didn't do the same thing with fat in the 80's or anything...

I always love how the only good arguments against carbs are straw man arguments with no real scientific backing.

I dont care about carbs either way...but your logic promoting them isnt valid
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

Exercise
    Repeat.

That's it. Don't even begin to worry about whether or not you're burning off that piece of bread you ate because it makes no damn difference in the long run if you just stick to the above list. Lastly, potatoes and bread are fine.

this makes sense in my opinion :huh:
  • runs_in_heels
    runs_in_heels Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    For ever low-carb diet out there, there is another higher-carb, diet as well. I'm certainly not a nutritionist, but I think weight loss has more to do with figuring out your own body chemistry and what cuts/adds to your diet work best for you and keep you energized and happy.

I keep an eye on my carbs not because they're "bad" - (everyone here's right - complex carbs like whole grains are super foods!) -- but I limit them because, left to my own devices, I would eat nothing but bread and cheese. It has really forced me to increase healthy foods like fruit, veggies, fish and lean protein.
  • tigersword
    Options

I always love how the only good arguments against carbs are straw man arguments with no real scientific backing.

I dont care about carbs either way...but your logic promoting them isnt valid
    I'm not making a logical argument, I'm stating a fact. Potatoes have been consumed for thousands, possibly hundreds of thousands of years. Pasta has been consumed for at least two thousand years. Yet, there aren't any accounts of all of these modern day diseases that are suddenly being blamed on carbs. Carbs were never unhealthy before, just like fat was never unhealthy before. Suddenly now, just like with fat in the 80's, carbs are the root cause of everything that's unhealthy in the world. It's just not true.

Give it another 30 years, and these same alarmists will probably be trying to blame everything on protein.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Give it another 30 years, and these same alarmists will probably be trying to blame everything on protein.

Ooh! I'm going to write a book called "Chicken Belly" and start a documentary called "Fat, Sick, and Cows are Killing All of Us".
  • tigersword
    Options

Ooh! I'm going to write a book called "Chicken Belly" and start a documentary called "Fat, Sick, and Cows are Killing All of Us".
    Here's your first argument! Since the body can't store protein as protein for later use, and instead converts it all to glucose, it just proves that we aren't intended to eat protein at all, we just need to eat the glucose! :laugh:
  • Sidesteal
    Options

Here's your first argument! Since the body can't store protein as protein for later use, and instead converts it all to glucose, it just proves that we aren't intended to eat protein at all, we just need to eat the glucose! :laugh:

Will you please contribute a chapter to my book, and star as the tiger in the documentary? You end up getting killed with a spear by Paleo dieters.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

I think PETA beat you to it.