maple syrup problem

Options
I eat kashi waffles every once in a while, but everytime I eat them, about 2 hours later I am really hungry. I think it is the maple syrup that is making me feel this way, esp. b/c it is a simple sugar, but I have always eaten maple syrup and wondered if there is anything better and healthier to put on my waffles, that will make it almost the same taste. What does everyone else put on their waffles?

Replies

• lk14040
    lk14040 Posts: 90
    Options
    I eat kashi waffles every once in a while, but everytime I eat them, about 2 hours later I am really hungry. I think it is the maple syrup that is making me feel this way, esp. b/c it is a simple sugar, but I have always eaten maple syrup and wondered if there is anything better and healthier to put on my waffles, that will make it almost the same taste. What does everyone else put on their waffles?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    fresh fruit is healthier, more filling, and tastes GREAT on waffles!:drinker:
  • chrispchef1
    Options
    i LOVE maple syrup... and being from New England, it's everywhere. but was shocked to see how many calories it contains. SO UNFAIR.

so i have my waffles spread with 1/2 tsp. honey and 2 Tbsp (well-drained) non fat yogurt topped with 2 Tbsp crushed pineapple. YUM

any kind of yogurt/fruit would do, i just happen to like the plain if it's really well-drained.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I love blueberries or strawberries. Yogurt is also good on them. Sometimes I'll even add a little cinnamon.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Strawberries, I love pureed strawberries with a little splenda.
  • edleim
    edleim Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I get the really good maple syrup (from Vermont) and put just a drizzle on and it does not make me hungry, when i am out and use my boyfriends aunt jemima i am ravenous. Just get the good stuff and use a drizzle.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    try adding some 100% natural peanut butter on them
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I like cool whip on pancakes, waffles etc... WAY less sugar and calories than syrup. :smile:
  • NatashaJanzen
    Options
    I found some "no sugar added" syrup at Walmart.
    It's by E.D. Smith..and the regular no sugar added has 30 Calories for 3 Tbsp, and the Butter flavor no sugar added has 80 Calories for 3 Tbsp.
    The regular tasted pretty good...and 3 tbsp usually does a couple pancakes
    The only problem is it's a Canadian brand, so they might not sell it in the states
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    there is sugar free maple syrup. It's pretty good. I also like honey and strawberries.
  • sarman78
    sarman78 Posts: 4
    Options
    Cary's sugar free syrup is great - i put it on waffles and oatmeal in the morning!
  • honeybee71
    Options
    This is going to sound wierd, but I can't eat waffles any more because of that same problem, I've even tried using fruit as a topping Somthing just makes me process waffles really fast. It seems really odd, but I have them as a snack at night or as dessert from time to time.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound wierd, but I can't eat waffles any more because of that same problem, I've even tried using fruit as a topping Somthing just makes me process waffles really fast. It seems really odd, but I have them as a snack at night or as dessert from time to time.

make a sugar free fruit topping or get the sugar free syrups....

I make home made soy waffles with, "egg and heavy cream and olive oil mix now and add cinnamon, splenda and vanilla with berries".

I honestly have to say, I, "for once", I don't get hungry afterwards.
  • honeybee71
    Options

make a sugar free fruit topping or get the sugar free syrups....

I make home made soy waffles with, "egg and heavy cream and olive oil mix now and add cinnamon, splenda and vanilla with berries".

I honestly have to say, I, "for once", I don't get hungry afterwards.

belive it or not, I've tried just plain fruit, no syrup etc. I seem to need protien for breakfast now. If I have 1 cup of yogurt and some cereal I'm good, just no waffles, pancakes or just toast. Have to have a little more. Does anyone else notice that problem?
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    i eat a bowl of puffed rice (I know... totally flavorless... it brings me back to my childhood) with soy milk and i am good to go until lunch.

If i eat waffles.. i eat them with peanut butter.
    My in laws have a maple farm and we eat that... do you use the store bought stuff or do you buy the real stuff?