I really need advice on the caloric intake please

Options
xYumzx
xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
I've been all over with my calories on here, and im honestly not sure how many calories I should have, I want to lose weight but I dont want to start myself and I dont want to eat to much. Because I went from 1200 where i was fighting to eat that much to 1400+ where now I over eat.. Idk what to do how where I should be at.... can anyone help me figure this out...Im 5'4" and 185lbs .... hope i can finally understand this

Colleen

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Put your stats into this tool. It's really useful, got it from someone else on this site.
  • jennys11
    jennys11 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael's say to eat the following daily amount and in the follow schedule: 250 calories/breakfast, 400 calories/lunch, 150 calories/snack (to eat between lunch/dinner), 400 calories/dinner. Eating 1200 calories/day in that recommended schedule (about every 3-4 hours) will keep your metabolism up and yourself satisfied.

I've been eating in this schedule and I lost 7.6 my first week. I lost the 7lbs by following the schedule and sticking to 1200 calories. I would eat about 1200-1500/day, but not in that schedule. The schedule really helped a lot. I do exercise: weights/running/hiking, but I don't log my exercise. I consider my exercise my bonus calories to keep my weight loss moving faster.
  • xYumzx
    Options

Put your stats into this tool. It's really useful, got it from someone else on this site.
    EKKK that says I should be eating 1736 calories a day
  • xYumzx
    Options
    So I should only have 1 snack?
  • Lizabee84
    Lizabee84 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I follow my BRM on MFP and i am seeing a loss. Not huge numbers but a little something every week.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    What has been working for me, with similar stats, but I've got a number of years on you, is eating ~1500 calories a day. When I was 25, I managed to lose a bunch of weight eating 1600 calories a day and averaging 45 minutes of relatively intense exercise 5 days a week. Lighter stuff on the weekends. The keys to my success were logging everything that passed my lips and drinking lots of water. Staying hydrated really helped my IBS-like symptoms too. I no longer have any of those symptoms any more. Been drinking any thing from 0.5-1.5 gallons a day, and mostly pure water. I'm not going to advocate any particular balance of macronutrients as you have to find what works for you, but eating fresh fruits and veggies is hugely important!
  • xYumzx
    Options
    As for work outs I plan on starting, 30DS 2days in a row then 1day of cardio only followed by 30DS again 2 days. so on and so forth plus I wanna start the Get Running app its like the C25k one.. do you think thats to much?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

EKKK that says I should be eating 1736 calories a day

Well, that's only if you want your metabolism running at full steam, and all your activity burning as many calories as it can.

But as many well tell you on here, you can successfully slowly lose weight too with a suppressed metabolism and burning less at everything.
    You can slow it down even more by eating less and exercising more too, may even get it to stall out!
    I mean, if that's the goal.

You seem to be searching for what fits in with what you want to do, what not might actually benefit you. Don't dismiss it too fast, or you'll be back to it anyway.
  • PurpleGyrl13
    PurpleGyrl13 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and just as confused. I'm 5'5" and 180lbs...wanting to lose about 40 lbs total. I've read website after website; talked to the staff at the gym I go to, etc., etc. MFP put me at 1200, but it also but 4 of my MFP friends at 1200 as well and we are all different in age, height, weight, and goal weights, etc. So I just don't understand.

I also have a fitbit that I wear every day and my calories fluctuate on there. It looks at my previous days and apparently incorporates my activity levels, caloric intake, etc.

I read posts where people say you need to increase your caloric intake to lose more?????

So I'm really confused!
  • jennys11
    Options
    As for work outs I plan on starting, 30DS 2days in a row then 1day of cardio only followed by 30DS again 2 days. so on and so forth plus I wanna start the Get Running app its like the C25k one.. do you think thats to much?

I don't think that is too much. I am doing Jillian's Body Revolution. It's 30 minute workout a day (with weights, etc.) For my extra cardio I go running for 30 minutes, take my dog for a hike, etc. I'm sure 30DS is similar, so I'm sure it's fine. Just be sure to give yourself a rest day. For example, Monday/Tuesday = weights, Wednesday = cardio, Thursday/Friday=Weights, Saturday=cardio, Sunday = rest --- so Mon/Tues do 30DS, wednesday do cardio, Thurs/Friday=30DS, Sat=cardio, sunday=rest. If you want to do a little extra cardio on your 30DS days, Jillian tweeted to keep it to 30 minutes extra/5days a week. She said her programs are designed to max you out in 30 minutes. She said you don't want to burn out.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Crazy4disney -- lots of people get put at 1200 by MFP because it won't go any lower than that, no matter what weight goal you put in. If your maintenance is 1400 and you put in 2 lbs/week, just subtracting 1000 cal/day would leave you at 400, which is WAY low! So anytime anyone puts in a weight goal that would leave them under 1200, it just says 1200.
  • harriet_tubman
    Options
    if you are willing to spend the money, i recommend getting a bodymedia fit. it tells you exactly how many calories you burn per minute per day.
  • xYumzx
    Options

I don't think that is too much. I am doing Jillian's Body Revolution. It's 30 minute workout a day (with weights, etc.) For my extra cardio I go running for 30 minutes, take my dog for a hike, etc. I'm sure 30DS is similar, so I'm sure it's fine. Just be sure to give yourself a rest day. For example, Monday/Tuesday = weights, Wednesday = cardio, Thursday/Friday=Weights, Saturday=cardio, Sunday = rest --- so Mon/Tues do 30DS, wednesday do cardio, Thurs/Friday=30DS, Sat=cardio, sunday=rest. If you want to do a little extra cardio on your 30DS days, Jillian tweeted to keep it to 30 minutes extra/5days a week. She said her programs are designed to max you out in 30 minutes. She said you don't want to burn out.

Oh yes hers kick my butt, but i like it makes me push harder.... I just am so damn confused I want to do this right, but i keep falling back
  • kiranicsmom
    kiranicsmom Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and weigh 190lbs. I put into MFP that I wanted to lose 1.5lbs per week. My metabolic rate says I burn 1835 a day. It would need to subtract 750 from my 1835 and that would put below 1200 which you aren't suppose to drop below.

If I am exercising 500-700 calorie a day then I have to eat back most of those calories to fuel my workouts other wise I would be at 1200-700=500 calories would be all that I had available to run my body. Otherwise your body will go into starvation mode.

Just my two cents. I didn't follow this thinking last fall and my weight loss stalled and I gave up for about 6 months and gained 13lbs back. Since restarting 18 days ago, I have lost 7.8lbs.
  • Lightworker10
    Options
    Newbie here, so hope Im ok in what Im about to say (forgive if not, k). Do numbers really matter all that much? If we eat HEALTHY, nutritionally balanced food and we feel satieated after, isnt that what matters? As long as we are maintaining HEALTHY mind and body, and can stay within a good range, then I say coolio!! Give yourself a brain-break and enjoy enjoying!! Idk but at 5'4" and 240, I would LVE to weigh 180ish again. For me, that always looked good on me--not too thin, not too other. And I felt good. Isnt that what we really strive for anyway???? :):happy:
  • heybales
    Options
    Newbie here, so hope Im ok in what Im about to say (forgive if not, k). Do numbers really matter all that much? If we eat HEALTHY, nutritionally balanced food and we feel satieated after, isnt that what matters? As long as we are maintaining HEALTHY mind and body, and can stay within a good range, then I say coolio!! Give yourself a brain-break and enjoy enjoying!! Idk but at 5'4" and 240, I would LVE to weigh 180ish again. For me, that always looked good on me--not too thin, not too other. And I felt good. Isnt that what we really strive for anyway???? :):happy:

Actually, no.

Eating until feeling satisfied is what has led many to this site.
    Mostly because of overweight, many also because of undereating disorders.

You can suppress your metabolism to a level that is not healthy, and you can eat just the right kinds of foods to feel full and provide great nutrition.

But you feeling full, and your body actually being fully fed, are 2 entirely different things.

Your body needs and expends energy, and if you don't eat enough, you can have problems.
  • heybales
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and just as confused. I'm 5'5" and 180lbs...wanting to lose about 40 lbs total. I've read website after website; talked to the staff at the gym I go to, etc., etc. MFP put me at 1200, but it also but 4 of my MFP friends at 1200 as well and we are all different in age, height, weight, and goal weights, etc. So I just don't understand.

I also have a fitbit that I wear every day and my calories fluctuate on there. It looks at my previous days and apparently incorporates my activity levels, caloric intake, etc.

I read posts where people say you need to increase your caloric intake to lose more?????

So I'm really confused!

Because you all selected 2lbs per week weight loss goal and sedentary lifestyle. And if you all received 1200, then you all selected too aggressive a goal.

MFP has a built in safety factor that stops at 1200.

If you all looked your Goals page, you'll see the estimate is not actually 2lbs week, or 1000 deficit daily, because that would be under 1200 math-wise.

Read some of my past posts if you want to understand why you need to eat more to lose faster or more.
    Just click on the Posts number under my name.
  • xYumzx
    Options
    So heres a question if im sticking to my 1470 Caloric intake.... how should I space out my meals right now i do...

Breakfast 10am
    M.Snack 12pm
    Lunch 2pm
    M.Snack 4pm
    Dinner 6pm
    Late Snack 8pm <~ not often

Also how many calories should breakfast be, i was always told breakfast should be the biggest meal of the day...
  • jennys11
    Options
    So heres a question if im sticking to my 1470 Caloric intake.... how should I space out my meals right now i do...

Breakfast 10am
    M.Snack 12pm
    Lunch 2pm
    M.Snack 4pm
    Dinner 6pm
    Late Snack 8pm <~ not often

Also how many calories should breakfast be, i was always told breakfast should be the biggest meal of the day...

Here is a possible schedule:

Breakfast: 250
    Snack: 150
    Lunch: 460
    Dinner: 460
    Avoid eating anything after dinner.

If you notice, you would be eating every two hours. I suggest (from what I learned from Jillian Michaels and following her BR program), is to eat 4 times a day and if you want to eat 1470 a day instead of 1200 calories, eat in this suggested schedule:

Breakfast: 250
    No mid-morning snack
    Lunch: 535
    Dinner: 535

Total calories: 1470
  • jennys11
    Options
    The bigger lunch/dinner should hold you over for the afternoon and the bigger dinner will hold you over for the night so you don't need a snack after dinner and the mid-day snack is lite to fuel your metabolism.

Also, you should eat every 3-4ish hours. You can do it! I followed the schedule and lost 7.6lbs in a week. I was always eating 1200 calories but not in a normal schedule such as what I learned from Jillian. Once I adjusted my schedule, the weight started dropping.