Heart Disease / Implantable Defibrillator - Anyone have one

My name is Jennifer. I am 29 years old, married with two children... Mikayla just turned 2 and Malykai is almost 9 months now.
When I was pregnant with my son, I found out that I have heart disease (HOCM - Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy). It is something that I was born with but just starting flairing up now. On the 3rd of January, this year, I had a pace maker/defibrillator implanted in my left chest. It has been quite a blow to to my motovation. Actually, I got really depressed and started eating a LOT!
I am ready - NOW - to take control back and start living again and taking better care of myself again.
I am just wondering if anyone else has a heart condition and/ or a pace maker/defibrillator and works out? Has your condition or device caused any complications in your workout regime? Any advice?

Replies

• bump... anyone??
  • Hi Jennifer,
    I've had an implanted defibrillator for about 4 years, also for HOCM. Depression is really common and not usually addressed by doctors. I was terribly depressed for several months and needed help to get out of the funk. I'm glad you're ready to take control and start living again.

Regarding exercise, you should keep two things in mind:
    1) Learn what is the upper rate for therapy (shocks) as programmed in your device. Wear a heart rate monitor during exercise to make sure you stay way within range to prevent inappropriate shocks.

2) The ICD itself will not prevent you from exercising, but some HCM patients have more frequent runs of ventricular tachycardia (VT) during exercise. That could set off the device.

Hugo.
    More about me:
    http://bit.ly/HugoOCMedX
    http://bit.ly/ICDdata
  • Hugo~
    Thank you for sharing. It is comforting knowing that there are others out there with similar issues.
    God Bless You!
    Jennifer
  • Hi Jennifer,
    I've had my Pace/Defib since October 20th. I have Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (but the obstruction part sounds the same, wondering if maybe doctors are using different terms for the same things) And had Supraventricular Tachycardia (corrected when I was 16, but still wired for super speeds).

I haven't found the device interferes with working out at all, it's really just like Hugo said, just have to try to keep your heart rate below what your device would shock you for.

Myself, I've known my whole life about my condition and my medication keeps my heart rate down too, but some breathing techniques, just keeping very aware of yourself can help keep your heart rate down a lot (which can also be stress relieving in itself, a sort of meditative awareness or your breathing. Added bonus I guess).

Hope that's helpful in some way :)
  • jdougball
    jdougball Posts: 1 Member
    Four years after these posts! I hope I'm not too late to connect with all of you. I hope you're doing well. I'm just getting started. The control freak in me has had enough of feeling tired.