What is too much Exercise????

Options
Hi MFP!!! Well in the last 8 months I have started to LOVE working out. The results I am getting has been slow but great. I workout doing a variety of things - spin, weights, hiking, alittle running (not my fav) step, yoga. I am signing up for a month class of Circut interval training. It has been suggested to increase my strength training to start losing again. I usually get in 6 days a week.

I am finding myself wanting to add an extra hour or more of walking/hiking now that the weather has been nice. I also hate taking a day off...I feel guilty and I do enjoy having those extra calories to use when I need them!!!

Another thing keeping me working out is races...I just completed my first 1/2 marathon in Feb. and I have my first Warrior Dash on the 31st!!! I feel so good!!! In the future I would like to give rock climbing and surfing a try....I think!!! LOL

Do you feel guilty on your day of rest???? Do you think it's OK to take a nice walk or yoga class on a day of rest???

Thanks!!!!!!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    By all means walk or do yoga, it becomes an active recovery day. I walk on my rest day, doing nothing drives me batty.
  • brandillyn
    brandillyn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think this is going to help much, but I recently read on a health website that being addicted to exercise is a form of anorexia. I'm not entirely sure if that's correct.

I also get a "high" after a really good workout then a few hours later I want to go again.

I'll also be waiting for an answer for this.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think this is going to help much, but I recently read on a health website that being addicted to exercise is a form of anorexia. I'm not entirely sure if that's correct.

I also get a "high" after a really good workout then a few hours later I want to go again.

I'll also be waiting for an answer for this.

it isn't technically anorexia, but an Eating Disorder if you work out constantly to burn off every calorie you eat.

What the OP is going through appears to be different. Personally, I think being active awesome. The only thing I would be careful is to make sure you give yourself a day off.

With all that exercise you are constantly taxing your muscles (basically putting little tears in them) and in order for you to get stronger and fitter you need to give yourself (and your body) a day to heal. Hope this helps
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I would think that exercise is only too much when you 1. Threaten overuse injury or 2. it interferes with other priority activities (such as work and family time)... of course the latter can be partially eliminated by having a family exercise time. You are obviously training for some things so an increased exercise pattern is pretty important to you at this point. I know what you are saying about looking forward to it since I have really missed it the past couple of days since I have been recuperating from having 8 teeth extracted. (4 wisdom and 4 others)... As for strength training a day of rest between any similar exercise is necessary for building muscle... I do upper body one day and lower body/abs the next. Have fun.
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I agree with BrianSharp. You can have a 'take it easy' day instead of a 'rest day'. I workout six days a week, and take Monday's 'off'. I usually sneak in a short (1/2 to 1 mile) walk with my wife and kids and maybe a bike ride with my oldest daughter to help me from being completely sedentary.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i get like that when i exercise a lot , i would say its ok to take a walk you can get addicted to exercise because it really makes you feel good after and gives you a lot of energy
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You might try splitting up the intensity and type of exercise - on your "rest" days, do something active but low intensity, or focus on a different part of your body than usual. Being active every day isn't the problem - overtraining is more a function of how hard you are pushing yourself without recovery.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Also,

Everything in moderation, including moderation.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Hi MFP!!! Well in the last 8 months I have started to LOVE working out. The results I am getting has been slow but great. I workout doing a variety of things - spin, weights, hiking, alittle running (not my fav) step, yoga. I am signing up for a month class of Circut interval training. It has been suggested to increase my strength training to start losing again. I usually get in 6 days a week.

I am finding myself wanting to add an extra hour or more of walking/hiking now that the weather has been nice. I also hate taking a day off...I feel guilty and I do enjoy having those extra calories to use when I need them!!!

Another thing keeping me working out is races...I just completed my first 1/2 marathon in Feb. and I have my first Warrior Dash on the 31st!!! I feel so good!!! In the future I would like to give rock climbing and surfing a try....I think!!! LOL

Do you feel guilty on your day of rest???? Do you think it's OK to take a nice walk or yoga class on a day of rest???

Thanks!!!!!!

I think you need to watch mindset rather than amount. If you're staying outside and exercising longer to enjoy the weather, that's great! If you feel actual guilt if you skip just a day or two once in a while, that's not so great. When you need to be concerned is when it becomes an obsession and you really can't make yourself stop, even for a day. Psychological problems are usually defined by whether they interfere with other life activities. If you're giving up other activities you enjoy, or used to enjoy (social activities and the like), to exercise, it's too much.

EDIT: Another consideration is this: People who really do work out too much, almost never even have an inkling they do. That you are self-aware enough to ask means your risk is low of too much exercise.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure you can do too much....I think it's more about the time you do it in, like, immediately working out for 7 days a week from being totally sedentary would be too much, but building up to that would be ok?

I can't stay still on "rest" days either....I'm supposed to be resting my knee today but I'm itching to do something, lol!

Would be interested to see what other people think on this!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    By all means walk or do yoga, it becomes an active recovery day. I walk on my rest day, doing nothing drives me batty.

^^This and it's not too much until you start feeling pain from it. I went through something similar recently and ended up in recovery for 3 weeks from overuse so, just listen to your body and don;t push through if you are really feeling some pain. I finally have relaxed some now but find that I want to run everyday and I know I cannot.
  • joec63
    joec63 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Too much is when it starts interferring with other priorities in your life. I would say most people are excluded from that definition. As far as working out on a rest day. If you have the energy then by all means. Do it all the time. I normally work out 6 days a week and twice on lift days which is on M,W,F. Sunday is my off day. But if I want to be lazy I don't feel guilty about it. Because I know I work hard all week.
  • ex2mom
    ex2mom Posts: 6
    Options
    I have the same feelings. I run, walk run walk in rotation on days. I cant have a day off or I feel lazy and fat. :( Once in a blue moon I'll take off a day...just listen to your body. :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I see it as any amount that you are not properly fueled for.
  • fitmemom
    fitmemom Posts: 22
    Options
    I've heard those yoga sessions and walking on days off being called "active rest" days. I personally don't see anything wrong about it. Listen to what your body tells you. I'm 47 years old and I have a hard time listening to my body. Me and this getting older thing don't get along at times.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Good job on the progress you have made, I am currently training for the Arizona state Championship in cycling next month so I am working out all the time and in training 2 - 6 hours 6 times a week on biking/hiking and Weight lifting. I love to be active and always will be. I do take sundays off from focusing on my training and use it as a rest day. However I am active, Walking the dogs, cleaning the house, working on the yard, I don't normally stop unless I really do not feel good.

Keep up with the yoga and walking and don't feel bad about it, every once in a while you need to just give your body a break.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I think that it's only too much if you are neglecting your responsiblities and other priorities.
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your feedback!!!! You've really helped! I think I am on the right track. Fitmemom - I hear you it's hard to admit we aren't 20 anymore!!!! I am doing my best to listen to my body...my knee has been bugging me alittle so I haven't run in awhile...which doesn't break my heart...but I need to run in my Warrior dash so I need to try to start up alittle with that as long as the knee is OK with it.

I don't really let it get in the way of my life.....it's a new chapter...kids are never home, no more events to attend :cry: So I have to keep myself busy in a positive way. I am really excited that they have both told me that they are proud of my dedication and can see the results :bigsmile: !!!! My Husband will hike with me once in a while... but I need to be out more than that ~ so it's really up to me! I am loving being out with my Ipod and the sun shine and just walking...also enjoying the shape my arms at taking...which I noticed in spin class this week!!!!!!!

It's going to be a good summer for me!!!!!! I won't be scared to get in a bathing suit this year!!!!!!!

Thanks again :flowerforyou: