cottage cheese in UK?? :/

Options
ieva015
ieva015 Posts: 93 Member
So i have been looking for cottage cheese in UK for a really long time now, but the stores i go to (tesco) doesn't seem to have it :/
i really miss it :(
does anyone know where i could get it apart from eastern European countries' shops?

Replies

• ourmamros
    ourmamros Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    hi our Tesco stocks cottage cheese of all kinds: with chives, with pineapple, and other stuff - I am not keen on any of it so don't pay much attention to it. It is usually in the chiller cabinets near dairy near the soft cheeses. Your are talking about the stuff that looks like polystyrene bits in runny white stuff?
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Such an appetizing description! :wink:
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Just bought some from Asda today. :happy:
  • kyrasmum
    kyrasmum Posts: 50
    Options
    You can buy cottage cheese in all major uk supermarket including tesco
    http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=cottage cheese
  • ieva015
    ieva015 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    hi our Tesco stocks cottage cheese of all kinds: with chives, with pineapple, and other stuff - I am not keen on any of it so don't pay much attention to it. It is usually in the chiller cabinets near dairy near the soft cheeses. Your are talking about the stuff that looks like polystyrene bits in runny white stuff?

thanks! have to go to the bigger store i guess :) yes, i'm talking about the polystyrene bits in runny white stuff :)
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Surely I'm not the only one hearing Helen Mirren as the Queen asking the clerk in her local Tesco "Where do you keep the polystyrene bits in runny white stuff?"

Oh, I am the only one? Never mind, then!
  • DoctorKyrina
    DoctorKyrina Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've noticed cottage cheese is a bit different somehow in the UK than it is in the US, but I'm assuming they both work the same in recipes.
  • anmei120
    anmei120 Posts: 19
    Options
    Asda has a great variety of cottage cheese with different flavours :)
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    Surely I'm not the only one hearing Helen Mirren as the Queen asking the clerk in her local Tesco "Where do you keep the polystyrene bits in runny white stuff?"

Oh, I am the only one? Never mind, then!
    :laugh:
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    They usually have it in the smaller shops too all supermarkets have it but I suppose that could vary depending on where you are, Co-op, Waitrose, Aldi, Sainsburys, Marks and Spencers, Morrisons, will all have it. It's usually near the soft cheeses.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    no input, I just love UK speech, lol. "bits"
  • littlecrystal
    littlecrystal Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am originally from eastern Europe and yes, cottage cheese is very different in the UK. Though, I got used to it and have been eating Tesco natural fat free cottage cheese almost every morning for the last couple of years. I bake cottage cheese pies and cakes with Tesco natural cottage cheese and it turns out just fine (maybe I just got used to it).
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm from California and I moved to the UK almost 2 years ago. When I first moved here I couldn't find anything! First of all things aren't where you would expect them to be in the stores, for instance In America maple syrup is near breakfast food or on the baking isle. When I first went to my Tesco I thought they didn't have it but it was on the isle with yogurt, angel delight, and canned fruit. Waffles here aren't frozen, they're fresh and sold on the bread isle! I also had a really hard time finding black beans and liquid smoke. Both of those things are on the "world food" isle with Jamaican items. Since Asda is related to Walmart I often find American products that I can't find elsewhere and I get massive jars of Skippy, Veggie chips, and my People magazines at Costco. As for cottage cheese, it is sold everywhere. You can even get it at the Co-op and off license shops. It is packaged differently than in the US so you probably don't recognize it (like a lot of things here). The cottage cheese section isn't as big as it is in the US but it's there. Generally it's near cheeses, find Philadelphia and look for this: http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/grocery-categories/cottage_cheese_in_tesco.html. If there is anything else you can't find message me, I'll tell you where to get it, if possible. x
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i get it at the local russian/polish/whatever else shop
    and its really nice there
    tesco have it too tho but its not as nice i find
  • Seasider1972
    Options
    Lidl do a very nice low fat range including cottage cheese, as part of it's linessa range.