Anyone else use reward systems?

Options
I have a really hard time motivating myself to go to the gym so I"m trying a sort of self reward system, for every week I go to the gym at least 5 days I've set up small rewards like a new bottle of nail polish.

Does anyone else do this?

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! I have a reward box. Every time I meet a goal that I put on the box, I drop in the appropriate amount of money. Got $210 in there now with more to add for today! I'm eyeballing some new wings for the upcoming NY Fairy Festival!
  • wmathis1145
    Options
    I do that but on a larger scale. When I reached 10 pounds lost, I treated myself to a massage. The next 10 will be something else I want or want to do. I think it is a good way to reward yourself for sticking with your goals. As long as it is something like nail polish or clothes and not food!
  • Irishmoonwitch
    Options
    I do the same thing. Every time I work out I reward myself with two episodes of my all time favorite show. And as it is Japanese anime there are a lot of them. When I run out I'll find something else. I just try to never give myself food as a reward. That is one reason I got into this mess. To much food when I was depressed from my cancer. So I try to just use it as the fuel that it is. :-)
  • tara7302011
    tara7302011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I do that but on a larger scale. When I reached 10 pounds lost, I treated myself to a massage. The next 10 will be something else I want or want to do. I think it is a good way to reward yourself for sticking with your goals. As long as it is something like nail polish or clothes and not food!

This is a great idea.... I love massages!!
  • sherrisluzinit4good
    sherrisluzinit4good Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Treat yourself honey... :D I did my hair in a nice and easy dark blonde this morning! That's a reward for me... I have clothes a size smaller - for when I can use them - then when I am at my goal... I will reward myself with new clothing. But... yard sales and stuff until then!!! And any kind of reward is good - as another member said... anything BUT food!! :drinker:
  • vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    Rewards have to be for things you have control over though or they won't work. So reward yourself for going to the gym or making good food choices as those are within your Control but if rewards are for pounds lost you will get very demoralised if you hit a plateau despite doing all the right things.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have a bad habit of overdoing the rewards because I use them for different areas of my life-- massive work projects, grad school classes, and weight loss, too. Every ten pounds or so I make an effort to do something fun though, and I try to incorporate it as something body-related, if that makes sense. I think my first ten pounds got me a massage and then the second was an expensive dress that I wore to a fundraiser gala. Sometimes it's a smaller-scale thing like buying fancy earrings or a fun Groupon deal. Now I'm focusing more on the actual weight number and less on the number lost (which is probably defeatist), and I'm not sure what to do when I get down to 170...
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I am using massages and pedicures, at some point I will incorporate clothing in, I just promised myself I will not use food!