Workout when you sick

Options
Hi All! I have a question - i got sick from air conditioning at work and feel terrible (running nose, sore throat, wanna sleep all the time). But I still need to go at work. Also, what do you think - is it good idea to continue workout at home with my regular routine (5 times per week 30 min zumba, 30 min biggest looser training) or leave it till i get finally healthy after illness?

Replies

• dominions
    dominions Posts: 12
    Options
    Give your body some time to fight off the bug.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Yup, chill out for a while and up your Calorie intake to maintenance levels until you feel better.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Rest.....let your body heal
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    and if you must work out do it at home, no one wants your germs
  • HodderAL
    HodderAL Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I base it on how I'm feeling. If I feel up to working out, then I do it; if I don't feel like I can do a workout, then I don't. You can even modify it, and do half a workout if you think that's all you can handle (while sick). Listen to your body.
  • CandyR1018
    CandyR1018 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've read somewhere if sickness is from neck up, you can exercise (head cold, allergies, etc.) If from neck down (chest cold, bronchitis, tummy issues, etc) do not work out.

I think you have to listen to your body, your body might need rest or a very easy workout like yoga or walking.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Recover first. If you're already tired, it will be very hard to get in exercise anyway. I find it very frustrating to exercise when feeling under the weather!
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've read somewhere if sickness is from neck up, you can exercise (head cold, allergies, etc.) If from neck down (chest cold, bronchitis, tummy issues, etc) do not work out.

I think you have to listen to your body, your body might need rest or a very easy workout like yoga or walking.

^ This!
  • anyakite
    anyakite Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    This is my opinion and what I'm going to write is what I've learned either through researching that same question or testing it out for myself.
    A head cold like yours usually feels worst for 3-ish days. You immune system is working hard at fighting it and you initially got the cold due to the change in environment (which is what shook up your immune system, possibly along with some other factors, in the first place)
    Over training can actually weaken you immune system further. Your routine is awesome, but my recommendation would be to relax for 1-3 days until you feel the symptoms going away. That way you will regain your strengths, and exercising at the right time will continue to strengthen your immune system until you're 100%.
    Basically if you want to sleep, just listen to your body and sleep instead of continuing with your routine. Once you regain your energy in some short few days, go ahead and resume!

Get well soon!

Anna
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options
    If it's not viral I go anyways. I'm tired, but still putting in ten minutes of cardio and ten of weights makes me feel better, and I normally can go home and get some sleep.

If it's viral, stay home.
  • mwaid
    mwaid Posts: 19
    Options
    I read a lot in fitness magazines that its best to keep moving when you're fighting sicknesses like colds. I think they also say flush with lots of water and not to push yourself too hard. but sometimes, I think, you just feel like poop and don't feel like working out. I personally got over my cold a few weeks ago faster by just taking a couple of days off and letting my body relax and the cold seemed to have past faster when i relaxed. So, I say take a break, and let yourself rest. But if you want to work out still, then just take it a bit easier than normal.
  • healthy_skinny_witch
    healthy_skinny_witch Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for opinions and recommendations! i will try to get tomorrow off for recovery, and maybe dance short version of Zumba. When i stop my workout for couple days its really hard to return back at the same speed and power. Also I blame my weight lost. I think, I became sick so easily because of loosing 4 lbs last 2 weeks. My body not used to be in new weight and got sick easily.