LOW Carb DESSERT RECIPES PROVEN TO BE GOOD PLEASE

Options
lms32164
lms32164 Posts: 212 Member
We are celebrating my Mom's 70th birthday soon and I would like to make a low carb dessert that would be easy for her to fit into her diabetic diet. Please don't tell me about angel food cake or sugar free jello. I mean a real dessert that will taste good and still be kinda of healthy. Thanks!

Replies

• aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    check out this site, she has tons of healthy dessert recipes: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I think you can substitute

(i) cocunut or soy flour for the wheat flour
    (ii) splenda for the sugar

and make just about anything.

I even go so far as to substitute

(iii) egg whites for eggs, and
    (iv) apple sauce for butter.

At the end of all that, my efforts have been decent (especially considering) though they take a bit longer to bake and the texture is different.

Having said that, I always wonder why we have to celebrate everything with food! Why not celebrate with flowers, balloons, visiting, or other special treats (like a movie)? Lately, I try to emphasize the other and de-emphasize the food.

Good luck and hope your mom has a wonderful birthday.
  • dis5150
    dis5150 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Try this website. I love her blog - she is super funny and has great low carb / low sugar recipes!!

http://yourlighterside.com/low-carb-dessert-recipes/
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Does she like cheesecake?

I used a Pampered Chef 9" springform pan and the cheesecake rose to the very top.. If you don't have a springform pan and you use a regular pan it might overflow because springform pans are taller.

Ingredients:

CRUST

1/4 cup Finely Chopped pecans
    1/4 cup Finely Chopped almonds
    1/4 cup Finely Chopped walnuts
    3/4 cup almond meal (almond flour)
    2 Tablespoons butter (melt in microwave)

FILLING

1 1/2 pounds cream cheese
    1 1/3 cups Pourable Splenda (or other sugar substitute that is equal to 1 1/3 cups sugar)
    3 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    16 ounces sour cream.
    Cream cheese and eggs should be at room temperature before you start.

Directions:

How To Prepare:

Mix all nuts and almond meal with melted butter and press into a springform pan, trying to line the sides as much as possible about 1 1/2 inches up the sides of the pan, set aside to mix filling.Start by beating the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Keep the mixer on a low setting throughout the beating and mixing process. Add the sugar substitute a little at a time and continue beating until creamy. Add one egg at a time and beat after each egg. When eggs have been mixed into the cream cheese, add vanilla and lemon juice, Add the sour cream last until just blemded in.Pour cream cheese mixture into the springform pan. Place on the top rack in the middle of a 325 degree preheated oven for one hour and 15 minutes. If you want a cheesecake with a less brown top, put on the next rack down. Also, some have commented that they had a few cracks... Remember not to open the oven while baking, this might make it crack. You might also want to try a waterbath but its not really neccessary. When time is up, turn off the oven and prop open the oven door... leave in oven for one hour. After one hour, remove from oven. Run a knife around the edge of the cheesecake also, so if it shrinks while cooling it will not crack at that time either. Let cool to just about room temperature before the cheesecake is put into the refrigerator for 24 hours. Make sure you wait the 24 hours before sampling... A cheesecake should season. The wait is worth it. The flavor ripens and becomes enriched. Nutritional information:Without Crust:Cheesecake without crust 231.5 Calories; 22g Fat (48.5% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 118mg Cholesterol; 158mg Sodium.Cheesecake including Splenda:319 Calories; 28g Fat (79.6% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 123mg Cholesterol; 177mg Sodium And this is cheesecake WITHOUT Splenda:311 Calories; 28g Fat (81.7% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 123mg Cholesterol; 177mg Sodium
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Low-Carb Crustless Cheesecake

• 24 ounces Cream Cheese (room temperature)
    • 8 ounces Sour Cream
    • 3 Eggs
    • 20 packets Splenda (or sweetener of choice)
    • 1 tbsp Extract of choice (vanilla, almond, lemon)

Pre-heat oven to 375.

Mix cream cheese in bowl until smooth. Add sour cream. Add one egg at a time. Add sweetener and extract and mix until smooth.

Spray pie pan with PAM until completely covered and pour in cheesecake mixture. Place pie pan in larger pan and fill with water covering half of pan.

Bake for 40-45 minutes. Let cool to room temperature then put in refrigerator overnight to stiffen.

Chocolate Coconut Macadamia Nut Cookies

• 5 Tablespoons coconut oil or butter
    • ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    • ¼ cup cream
    • 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
    • 1 cup sugar equivalent in sugar substitute (Splenda or Erythritol)
    • 4 eggs
    • ½ cup coconut flour
    • ½ cup unsweetened coconut
    • 36 almond or macadamia nut halves

1. Preheat oven to 350 F
    2. Melt butter in bowl or 1 quart measuring cup -- you can make the whole recipe in the same container that way.
    3. Whisk in cocoa powder until blended. Whisk in cream, salt, vanilla, and low carb sweetener.
    4. Taste. This is the point where you want to get the right amount of sweetener for your taste.
    5. Whisk the eggs in and beat until they are well-blended. Add coconut flour and blend well, and finish with the dried coconut. Combine well and let sit for 5 minutes. The coconut will absorb most of the liquid.
    6. Prepare cookie sheets, either by greasing well, covering with parchment paper, or a silicone baking mat.
    7. Drop batter by rounded teaspoons (batter will be about 1½ inches across). Put half an almond or macadamia nut on the top of each, and push slightly to "anchor."
    8. Bake for about 12 minutes, until cookies are set and just beginning to brown on bottom.
    9. Let cool on pan for about 10 minutes. Remove. When fully cool, store in airtight container.

Apple Cake

• 2 Granny Smith Apples
    • 1/2 cup butter, softened
    • 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    • 1 cup granular Splenda
    • 5 eggs, room temperature
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla
    • 6 1/2 ounces almond flour, 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons
    • 1 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1 tablespoon cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350 F
    2. Peel and core the apple then chop finely.
    3. In a medium bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and Splenda.
    4. Add the eggs, one at a time; blend in the extract.
    5. Mix the almond flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; add to the egg mixture a little at a time.
    6. Gently fold in the apples.
    7. Pour into a greased 8x8-inch cake pan.
    8. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
    9. Refrigerate overnight before serving.
  • shrinkinglily
    Options
    parfait with 2% greek yogurt
    sweet berries (can sweeten with coconut sugar or splenda
    sliced almonds

Yum!
  • lms32164
    lms32164 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Do you know the nutrtional status on these?? Especially the carb?
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake. Since this is more about being diabetic than low carb diet even regular sugar kind seems to be ok for a lot of people. Fat slows down sugar so it spreads out the time the sugar is releasing in your body. So you want real, high fat kind. Years ago I actually tested it and was good with it. Not so sure if it would work for me now since a piece of bread will often send me out of control.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    bump! awesome recipes to try out!
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Try this website. I love her blog - she is super funny and has great low carb / low sugar recipes!!

http://yourlighterside.com/low-carb-dessert-recipes/

I second this suggestion! Jamie is a hoot!
  • skschuler
    skschuler Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Great recipes - thank you
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    jello with carrots =)
    hehe.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I made an absolutely delicious cheesecake (no crust) that was only 4 net carbs!!

1 container fat free cream cheese
    1/2 container neufchatel cheese (1/3 lower fat cream cheese--you can lower calories by making it with ALL fat free cc)
    1 c. plain Greek yogurt
    3 TBSP sour cream (I got the Kraft...simply)
    2 TBSP vanilla inulin (this can be omitted; it just adds fiber to the cheesecake)
    1 1/2 scoops vanilla protein powder (I used pure protein; it's a lower carb/sugars one)
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1/3 c. stevia granular (or you can use 1/2 c splenda granular if that's your choice)
    1 large egg
    3 TBSP egg beaters egg whites only
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1/4 c. unsweetened vanilla almond milk (you can use plain, or you can use cow's milk; I prefer almond-lower cal and no sugars)

Preheat oven to 325. Prepare a 6" spring form pan by spraying all sides and placing parchment paper or NON STICK Reynold's wrap (with the not stick side inside the pan, so the cheesecake doesn't stick; there's no crust, so it WILL stick without one or the other).

Beat the cream cheeses together with stevia and salt, scraping as necessary, until very creamy and smooth. Add egg and mix. Add egg whites and mix. Add remaining ingredients and mix well (scraping sides as necessary)-about 2 to 3 minutes.

Pour into pan and pound out extra air. Place in oven. Bake 30 minutes and turn heat down to 200. Continue baking one hour. Remove from oven. Allow to cool on counter and then cover and refrigerate. The next day, you have a mouth watering cheesecake ready for sharing.

I sliced it into 8 small pieces, each one having 140 calories, 7 carbs, 3 g fiber, 13 g protein, 5 g fat, and 3 g sugars.

I adapted my recipe from the one here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141848361&p=823256721#post823256721 I made my changes (as I always do for recipes), and did it like this, and it was so awesome. My husband had NO IDEA he was eating anything remotely healthified!!