She asked what about me?

Options
Ok so I started dieting, my daughter and boyfriend are fit as a fiddle! To start off my weight loss I brought alot of lean cuisine meals and snacks. My 14 yr old daughter was like what about me? She eats some what healthy and i feel guilty making her eat what she's not use to. So how do I still cook for my family without getting tempted with what their eating? Someone please help!

Replies

• umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I cook my fiance a lot of the foods that I eat, but I still buy him separate things and cook it for him. For example, I'll make a steak and potato dinner for him and I'll have a chicken Cesar salad. I just have a tiny bite of his to settle any cravings if I have any.

edit;; also, try to only cook enough for them. If there's leftovers, you will be more tempted.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Cook real, healthy food and eat less of it.
  • logicandlove
    logicandlove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be cooking anyway, just look for healthy recipes you can eat too! It'll probably be even better than lean cuisine because those can be loaded with sugar, and healthy food can be tasty too, trust me.
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My husband and my kids eat whatever I'm eating. The only exception usually is lunch or schoolday breakfasts. But, for dinners, whatever I make is what we have. www.skinnytaste.com has some delicious recipes on there.
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I think home-cooking is still the answer. My wife and I cook (most nights) pretty much what we used to cook before counting calories -- now we just measure or weigh our portions, and eat more veggies and fruit than starchy carbs. Last night I made a chicken piccata (reduced fat by using only about a TBSP of butter and no olive oil) and pasta. But instead of a whole (half) chicken breast and a heap of pasta, I had about 5 oz chicken and 2 oz (dry weight) pasta.
  • msradio
    msradio Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the support the feedback is great!
  • naku
    naku Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    This is an opinion of a daughter: You are making the effort to cook your family their meals, probably after a long day at work. On top of that you are now making them healthy and nutritious. The only thing coming from their mouths should be "Thank you mum!".

If not, they can cook themselves.
  • msradio
    msradio Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    @ naku so true luv it!
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Ok so I started dieting, my daughter and boyfriend are fit as a fiddle! To start off my weight loss I brought alot of lean cuisine meals and snacks. My 14 yr old daughter was like what about me? She eats some what healthy and i feel guilty making her eat what she's not use to. So how do I still cook for my family without getting tempted with what their eating? Someone please help!

Lean Cuisine isn't particularly healthy. What you might consider is finding some good, real food, recipes, and cooking healthy for you and the whole house! "Dieting" is a bad idea. Healthy lifestyle is a good one. Both for you, and your fourteen-year-old.
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    My husband, who does most of the cooking at dinnertime, fixes the meat and the vegetables to be as healthy as possible for me, and then he usually fixes a starch and some bread for himself to add to the other for him.
  • amzasmommy
    amzasmommy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has a lot of recipes for lighter healthier versions of meals. I've made 6-7 dinners and no one has complained yet on those nights! Actually last night was a baked ziti from there. Everyone ate all of it (including my 5 year and teens) including the spinach in it.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has a lot of recipes for lighter healthier versions of meals. I've made 6-7 dinners and no one has complained yet on those nights! Actually last night was a baked ziti from there. Everyone ate all of it (including my 5 year and teens) including the spinach in it.

^This!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Cook real, healthy food and eat less of it.

Yes!!!
  • huizenm
    huizenm Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This is an opinion of a daughter: You are making the effort to cook your family their meals, probably after a long day at work. On top of that you are now making them healthy and nutritious. The only thing coming from their mouths should be "Thank you mum!".

If not, they can cook themselves.

THIS! My family eats what I make them and if they don't like it, they don't have to eat it. Eating healthy is a family affair and my girls have learned to LOVE all kinds of veggies & healthy options because of it. My youngest daughters favorite food??? - Asparagus!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If your daughter already eats healthy, then you cooking healthy meals shouldn't be a problem for her or for the rest of your family. She can just eat more than you do. :smile:

When I was still working to lose weight, I did most of it by cutting out a lot of carbs. I still cooked rice, potatoes or pasta as a side dish, I just didn't eat them or took a very small amount. I filled up on the meat entree, veggies and salad while my husband and son ate some of everything.

I have to agree that Lean Cuisines aren't really all that great. Many of the varieties are loaded with sodium. I have a couple types that I'll buy on occasion just to have in the freezer here at work if I get stuck with no other option but I stopped eating them a few months after starting MFP because I realized they were not really a good option.
  • LauraLouFace
    LauraLouFace Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Check out a cookbook called Cook This Not That Easy & Awesome 350-Calorie Meals. A lot of them are healthier low calorie versions of things you would find at popular restaurants, and there are some VERY tasty recipes in this book! There is also a lot of variety...

Good luck!
  • Tishy78
    Tishy78 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I just try to make healthier options of the stuff we always ate.

For instance, we still have pasta - I just use Barilla Plus or Fiber Gormet instead of the regular spaghetti noodles and we'll have some turkey meatballs with it for extra protein. We will still have burgers, but we make them with extra lean beef (or turkey burgers!) and instead of fries on the side, will have stuff like corn on the cob and salad with it instead.

Some small changes like that can make a huge difference :)
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    My husband and my kids eat whatever I'm eating. The only exception usually is lunch or schoolday breakfasts. But, for dinners, whatever I make is what we have. www.skinnytaste.com has some delicious recipes on there.
    I have just looked at this site.:love: Yummy!
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I use the recipes from the Healthy section at: http://www.myrecipes.com/
    My husband eats what ever I cook, just more of it than I do. I try to make some recipes ahead if they take longer (the night before) and he puts them in the oven when he gets home because he gets home before I do (we both work). Then we eat, take the dogs for a walk and I make the meal for the next day or we have left overs the next day. I have to keep it simple because we both work, but I MUCH prefer a home cooked meal instead of something already prepared.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I cook a lot of recipes from skinnytaste.com. They are tasty and if you eat decent portions they are low-cal. My hubby eats whatever I cook, but he just eats three portions. LOL