Helppp!!!!!!

Options
Hello all, I have one question and I need help. I spoke to a friend of mine yesterday and she says if I continue to lose the weight, I will have extra skin ( flab) hanging off my arm my stomach area and that's something she had to deal with in her weight loss. Please, tell me what can I do to keep that from happening to me? Thank you guys for your answers :smile:

Replies

• StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Unless you're dropping very fast, your skin should recover some of the loss. If you're in the obese category, you may have a bit more excess but you won't really know how much till you get there.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Start weight training and it can help prevent some of that.

BTW, how much do you have to lose??
  • destiny364us
    destiny364us Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It is possible to have loss skin. I would reccommend doing strenght training about 2 or 3 times a week. This will help
  • bblonskidesigns
    Options
    i don't know for sure, but i would think that drinking water and keeping the skin hydrated would help with elasticity as well.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Drinking lots of water and weight training can help a lot with that.
  • samanthaM2618
    Options
    One thing you can do to decrease this is to lose weight according to your recommendation. For instance I am recommended to only lose 1 pound a week. That allows your body time to downsize.
  • 1_Slick_Chick
    1_Slick_Chick Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady....you're young so I imagine the elasticity in your skin is still good. I've lost 50+ pounds and am much older than you....I don't have flabby arms or legs. That being said...we're all different so you'll just have to see how it goes...wouldn't worry too much though.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I agree. Slow and steady!!

9 years ago I lost 70lbs. I had no loose skin. I was skinny fat because I didn't exercise to lose the weight that time, but no loose skin.

I depends on how your body responds and genetics mostly. You can prevent some of it by strength training and losing the weight too quickly.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Unless you're dropping very fast, your skin should recover some of the loss. If you're in the obese category, you may have a bit more excess but you won't really know how much till you get there.

I agree with this. I've lost 45ish pounds and don't have any loose skin or anything.
  • alt1268
    alt1268 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    it all depends on the weight and your age. The older the person the less elasticity the body has to bounce back.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    So many factor affect this! Drink lots of water - for skin to repair itself and tighten down nicely as you lose weight. Do strength training. You skin is connected to those muscles. As the muscles tighten, so does your skin! Lose weight slowly, no more than 2 lbs per week, give your skin time to keep up with the weight loss!

Edited to add - I dropped 50 pounds in 3 months at one point. Never had any loose skin. At 30ish, I was quite pleased with myself!
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Great advice from everyone! Stay hydrated, gain muscle while you are loosing fat and do it slowly so your skin can respond. Your age and the amount of weight you want to loose will be a big determinant. Others may be able to tell you their experience if you want to share those details.
  • newerme15
    newerme15 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Start weight training and it can help prevent some of that.

BTW, how much do you have to lose??

Just 48 pounds more to go.
  • newerme15
    newerme15 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thank you all everyone for the wonderful answers. I'm not as worried as I was before. I just started my weight loss and now I weigh 218, i'm 24 yrs old and looking to lose around 50 pounds max.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    You are young which helps a lot. Make sure you drink a lot of water, strength train and go slowly. Genetics plays a huge role. Losing 50 pounds shouldn't be enough to cause sagging skin. If it is, I'm sure being thin is better :smile:

At the end of the day, if you have excess skin that you are very unhappy with, they do have plastic surgery to remove the rest.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    At 24 is not very much of a concern if you lose weight at a healthy rate.