Should I add more?

Options
Hello MFP'ers! I have been on this program for about a month. I have lost inches but no "scale weight" as of yet. I weigh myself bi-weekly. Currently I do strength training (New Rules) M-W-F, followed by C25K, same days. I use a Polar HRM to track calories burned. Do you think that adding Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, 2X week would be detrimental?

Also based on the above info, feel free to look at my food diary. It's not perfect, but it's accurate. I calculated my BMR to be 1560 and TDEE to be 2424. I have been aiming to eat (net)close to my BMR. Does this seem correct?

Thank you to anyone that is willing to help a girl out!

Replies

• gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gomisskellygo
    Options
    Anyone?

Thanks!
  • CassieLeigh86
    CassieLeigh86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hello! As far as adding more exercise, I think that it is pretty much up to you...if you feel like your body (and mind!) could handle a couple more workouts a week, then I would by all means give it a shot. I am also doing New Rules, and currently training for a half marathon, so I work out 6 days a week with one rest day. So far I feel great, but if I start to get too fatigued or am not able to function as well, then I will rethink things and possibly cut back. I say give it a shot, and just be sure to listen to your body.

I guess I would say the same thing as far as your calories...that is, listen to your body and EAT if you are hungry. Working out a lot (especially with heavy lifting and running) requires fuel...so if you find that eating close to your BMR is working for you, and you have enough energy to go about your days and complete your workouts, then great! If not, think about upping your intake. It's really a trial and error sort of thing.

I know you had mentioned that your "scale weight" hadn't changed, but that you had lost inches...that's awesome! Scale weight isn't the be all end all of measuring health and fitness. If you are losing inches, you are probably doing something right!!
  • gomisskellygo
    Options
    Thank you for replying!
  • micervera
    micervera Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling the same as most on this topic. I too have lost inches but no weight so it doesn't make sense. I have only eaten over my calorie goal 3 or 4 times since I started but now am wondering if I'm not eating enough for my active lifestyle. I had a health coach tell me to consume 1,300 minimum a day since I am pretty active & that's not including the calories I burn. We'll re-evaluate in 2 weeks to see where I am at then. I do have to admit this is getting a little frustrating.
  • gomisskellygo
    Options
    I know. I agree, because I can't look good at this weight!! No matter how much I lift!!
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I would recommend tracking your body fat percentage, rather than your weight. Your BF% is a much more accurate measure of how healthy you are than the number on a scale. There are lots of people on this site who actually gain weight while strength training, but their BF% goes down and they LOOK much healthier and fit than they did at the lower weight.
  • snipnclipgirl
    Options
    I'm only losing inches so far. It is super frustrating! I'm doing Turbo Fire workouts 6 days a week. If I don't lose any weight soon I may cut my workout down to 5 days and see if that helps. I'm never over my calorie goal. It just very confusing sometimes! Good luck to you :)
  • gomisskellygo
    Options
    I would recommend tracking your body fat percentage, rather than your weight. Your BF% is a much more accurate measure of how healthy you are than the number on a scale. There are lots of people on this site who actually gain weight while strength training, but their BF% goes down and they LOOK much healthier and fit than they did at the lower weight.

Thank you. I have tracked using my WW scale, probably not the most accurate. According to that I have lost 5% which I am not even sure is possible, but I'll take if it is!

I will get it checked at the gym.

Thank you!
  • jennkess
    jennkess Posts: 86
    Options
    if you are losing inches some portion of your body/fitness program is definitely working. when you calculated your BMR did you put very active? your body may be using all the fuel you give it to keep it alive and building the muscles you are developing. which could make it store what you give it, rather than let go of the fat. make sure you are drinking TONS of water, your muscles will be storing water to build and you want to make sure they let go because you replenish it enough.

and to lose 1lbs per week you need to cut 500 calories from your TDEE that would put you at around 1800- not 1500. 1 lbs may not seem like a lot however you didn't gain it that fast if you want to keep it off you need to lose it slow and the right way.

perhaps add a few more calories- not a lot just 100-200 more, add an extra slice of turkey on your sandwich, have a little more chicken-meat at dinner. the protein will help with your muscle structure and the extra calories may signal your body to give up some of the fat.

if you do adjust, give it a good 2 weeks at least for your body to understand what you are doing.

good luck you are on the right track it's finding the best program for YOU :flowerforyou:
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    It actually makes sense to me, muscle weighs considerably more than fat. Stick with it, you'll notice differences.
  • gomisskellygo
    Options
    if you are losing inches some portion of your body/fitness program is definitely working. when you calculated your BMR did you put very active? your body may be using all the fuel you give it to keep it alive and building the muscles you are developing. which could make it store what you give it, rather than let go of the fat. make sure you are drinking TONS of water, your muscles will be storing water to build and you want to make sure they let go because you replenish it enough.

and to lose 1lbs per week you need to cut 500 calories from your TDEE that would put you at around 1800- not 1500. 1 lbs may not seem like a lot however you didn't gain it that fast if you want to keep it off you need to lose it slow and the right way.

perhaps add a few more calories- not a lot just 100-200 more, add an extra slice of turkey on your sandwich, have a little more chicken-meat at dinner. the protein will help with your muscle structure and the extra calories may signal your body to give up some of the fat.

Thank you for the response! I put my activity very low as I eat most of my exercise calories. I will try to bump up the calories by a couple of hundred. My excercise program is working in som aspect you are right, my heart rate has improved considerably. Again thank you for responding, I guess I am in need of a pep talk!

if you do adjust, give it a good 2 weeks at least for your body to understand what you are doing.

good luck you are on the right track it's finding the best program for YOU :flowerforyou:
  • gomisskellygo
    Options

Thank you for the response! I put my activity very low as I eat most of my exercise calories. I will try to bump up the calories by a couple of hundred. My excercise program is working in som aspect you are right, my heart rate has improved considerably. Again thank you for responding, I guess I am in need of a pep talk!

Sorry, misquoted! My response ending up in the middle of yours!!