working out your abs with a bad back?

Options
I have a bad back and am having trouble finding workouts that tone my abs. i do 500 crunches a day but that does not seem to do anything. does anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• FightGirl83
    Options
    You're right crunches will do nothing.
    Try core stabilizing moves, planks, side planks, twists, mountain climbers, etc.

Just one example from Men's Health: http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/core-workout-4

Do cardio to lose the belly fat and stay away from processed foods and foods high in sodium to fight bloat.

Good luck!
  • macnotes
    macnotes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thanks FightGirl! I've sent the link on to my husband as well.

I too have a pretty weak back, and that makes core exercises hard, but I'm noticing a difference doing planks, twists, side planks, "dead bug" and double crunches.
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have a bad back and am having trouble finding workouts that tone my abs. i do 500 crunches a day but that does not seem to do anything. does anyone have any ideas?
    Abs are made in the kitchen not built in the gym. Doing crunches is a waste of time unless they are weighted crrunches. Get a 5lb, 10lb, and 25lb plate and an exercise ball. hold the plate behind your head and do 4 sets of 8-12 crunches, if you can do more than 12 increase the weight. Also try squats (without weight) and if your back can handle doing them, slowly add weight.