Friend or Foe in the Fat Fighting Frenzy?

Options
I was just wondering if you were experiencing the same thing as me with certain friends during your weight loss?

I call them friends or foes because a couple of my friends don't seem particularly happy I'm losing weight and take the opportunity to mock / undermine what I have to do at every possible stage.

I have a theory about this, before I get messages saying "they're not really your friends" they're threatened. Surely? There are some friends who like you the way you are and are scared about what you'll be like if you lose weight whether that be look perhaps a little better than them or w/e.

So as I was saying, I was just wondering if any of you had experience the same thing?

Replies

• xmimikinsx
    xmimikinsx Posts: 191
    Options
    I was just wondering if you were experiencing the same thing as me with certain friends during your weight loss?

I call them friends or foes because a couple of my friends don't seem particularly happy I'm losing weight and take the opportunity to mock / undermine what I have to do at every possible stage.

I have a theory about this, before I get messages saying "they're not really your friends" they're threatened. Surely? There are some friends who like you the way you are and are scared about what you'll be like if you lose weight whether that be look perhaps a little better than them or w/e.

So as I was saying, I was just wondering if any of you had experience the same thing?
  • kimmerlyjo
    kimmerlyjo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hey girl you know I've had the exact thing happen. I would never say that they aren't true friends... they are just people who don't know how it feels to live in your body. After years of my husband saying you are fine don't worry about it I finally got him to realize that even though i'm fine in his eyes i'm not fine in my own. And as long as i'm not fine in my eyes then I will never feel as if anyone else is either.

All I can say to my friends is if you won't support me in this then please just don't bring it up... kinda like that old saying of "if you don't have anything nice to say, do't say anything at all"

OOOOOO and I did have a friend that weighed about 110 and was tiny and people would always ask her why she was on a diet or eating healthy... finally she started just telling people she was doing it to maintain and they started to leave her alone...
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have not experienced it with weight loss, but I did experience it when I quit smoking almost one year ago.

I don't think you can ever truly understand why someone does the things they do. Each person probably has their own reasons/motives and they may not even understand it themselves.

I have learned to just lean on the people that are more supportive and have tried to avoid the subject with those who are not. Remember that you are doing this for yourself anyway, not for them!

Good luck!
  • xmimikinsx
    Options
    Well it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one! You're right, I should just start with the "if you have nothing nice to say" philosophy - in a way friends behaving like that makes me want to get to me goal even more!!!! Little do they know! And I also think nobody has the right to tell someone they don't need to diet(obviously in an extreme case then ok) - because it's about how you feel inside not what people see on the outside, have they seen us butt naked?!?!?! Hehehe :laugh: :happy:
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. Some just don't bring it up and others just say you don't need to lose weight or else try and get me off track. it's ok though, i can put up with it cause i know that in 6 months time, i'm going to look amazing :bigsmile: haha well i hope so at least :ohwell:
  • kimmerlyjo
    Options
    I know for a fact that all of us that really want it won't think twice about those silly people when we are lookin all hot in 6months... (not that we don't already look hot!!! :happy: )
  • xmimikinsx
    Options
    Hahaha it's funny though. I think I completely embarassed my flatmate last night, we went grocery shopping and weightwatchers soup was on offer and I love it so I bought like 20 cans - I looked like I was stocking up my bomb shelter or something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-) I keenly pointed out that in a few months when I looked amazing the embarassment would be worth it lol :flowerforyou:
  • sitarami
    sitarami Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    love them anyway
  • kimmerlyjo
    Options
    i am so laughing my butt off right now! that's hillarious. I'd go offbase and look for the same deals but I'm still lost when it comes to japanese! i've got to be so good for the next week because my friends are throwing me a huge birthday party on the 19th and I was to be able to binge a little!!! Plus how awesome would it be to put on one of my cute little pre-baby outfits! I'm already fitting into some of them!!!
  • xmimikinsx
    Options
    重量の監視人 I believe that is what you are looking for. HAHAHAH it literally means weight, watcher. I babelfished it :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • kimmerlyjo
    Options
    You ROCK!!! thanks i appreciate it! They have these awesome little rice ball things wrapped in nori with different fillings inside. Well i LOVE LOVE LOVE the tuna salad ones but had no clue which ones were which... after mistakingly buying one with salted plum in the middle (promise you it was not good) :grumble: my husband and I decided to go and buy a bunch of them until I found the right one. When I finally found it I took the wrapper and put it in my purse so I would always know which one I wanted!!!

It's actually easy to eat here if you go to the more mainstream places they actually put the kcal ammounts on the menus and the servings are smaller! Its all the awesome sides like gyoza you have to stay away from!
  • xmimikinsx
    Options
    Rice balls? Sounds good! I bought these little sweet rice balls from a chinese supermarket which you had to put in sugarey boiled water until they rose....they had peanut butter in the middle! Weird or what. Nice though...doubt good for you!!!!!!! Do you like sushi, if you eat that you'll have noooooo problem!
  • kimmerlyjo
    Options
    I LOVE sushi!!! My 6 year old BEGSSSS us to go almost every sunday!!! It just sucks though cause about an hour later i'm starving again!!! You just have to be careful because the Japanese love their mayo and put it on or in just about everything!
  • xmimikinsx
    Options
    Really?! How do Japanese people stay so slim.......? MAYO??!?!? Hahaha
  • xmimikinsx
    Options
    OMG I just copied and pasted that japanese I got for you into Google to see what it comes up with and it actually does come up as the first result www.weightwatchers.com

Hahahahhahahaha :laugh: man I'm good :wink:
  • kimmerlyjo
    Options
    That is so freakin AWESOME!!! Well they pretty much walk or ride bikes EVERYWHERE!!! and like i said the serving sizes are way tiny! Plus I think it has something to do with all the green tea they drink... guess it's a big time antioxident!
  • xmimikinsx
    Options
    Oh ya, I'm drinking green tea now too but sometimes I just don't like the taste of it so I've bought a green tea TABLET from a health store to cheat my way to inner greenness :laugh:
  • kimmerlyjo
    Options
    you can get green tea for free at pretty much any resturant around here... i'm pretty used to the taste now and actually kinda like it