Exercise isnt my thing

Options
Just wondering if anyone has any tips for someone like me who IS NOT into exersice. I have been doing little walks here and there through out the day. I really find it hard to get motivated to do much more than that! Is there any fun exercises anyone can recommend? A couple years ago I use to love to exercise daily...but now I guess I turned lazy! Thanks for the advice!

Replies

• TransTina
    TransTina Posts: 82
    Options
    walking is great.

Just try to build up the distance/pace over time, and you will see it working! xx
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I always HATED exercise, with passion. I have found certain "exercises" that I love. Yoga, dancing, kickboxing and tai chi. All of them are great workouts too. I was the girl who looked for any reason possible to skip gym class. Took the bare minimum in college too. Now, I LOVE a good workout. I've started running and going to be doing a lifting program soon too. I love the endorphin rush following a great workout. Trust me, it's worth it!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I don't like the word exercise. I like to do fun things, but I don't like to HAVE to do something. The word implies something hard that you have to do. The trick is to try some different things to find out what you might enjoy.

I used to go to Zumba class and loved it. It's a great workout and the time goes really fast. Then I tried some Jillian Michael's home DVD's and I love those. They are shorter than the Zumba class and don't have to travel to get there. Never would have thought I would like home exercise DVD's until I tried it. Some people do Wii or Xbox kinect. The key to an exercise that will work for you is just one you will do. Maybe it is walking or biking outside. Maybe it is joining a gym. Maybe it is tennis or jump rope with your kids.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    After a while, it becomes habit. Push through until it does. Or keep trying new things until you find something that is enjoyable. Dancing is great exercise, and fun for a lot of people. Not so much for me because I have no rhythm and two left feet. I never thought I'd enjoy running because I sucked at it. I didn't realize it was something I had to learn how to do. (Thanks, Couch to 5k!)

Or just look at it like a necessary evil. I'm sure you don't LIKE doing dishes or laundry, but you do them because you know if you don't, you have to wear dirty clothes and eat off dirty dishes. I still don't really like lifting weights, but I do it because I like wearing a bikini in the summer, and it makes me feel better in one. :happy:
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone has any tips for someone like me who IS NOT into exersice. I have been doing little walks here and there through out the day. I really find it hard to get motivated to do much more than that! Is there any fun exercises anyone can recommend? A couple years ago I use to love to exercise daily...but now I guess I turned lazy! Thanks for the advice!

Go dancing! If you have an x box kinect dance central games are so fun!
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    It's just one of those things you just have to do. Lately I don't want to AT ALL, but I do nearly every day and I never regret it.
  • Tanya_IP
    Tanya_IP Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I do like Jillians dvds as well its the motivation to do them.....im just going to do it thats all there is too it!!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I just set a goal and told myself if I wanted to win, I HAD to workout, then just kept going.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Set goals for yourself - big and small ones. Also, set rewards for yourself! For example, for every mile yuo run you earn some money towards buying yourself something you want like a new pair of shoes or clothing!

Try a variety of different exercises too. You WILL find one you like. There is something for everyone out there.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Pick an exercise mantra that helps you do it. Mine is "just do it" and I do! Now I really love exercise.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Its surprising how many calories a walk burns, also, just read on the Goodlife e mailer that walking is the best way to keep cognative abilities. Keep it up!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    find something you like to do.

I started running, I didn't like it per say at first but I liked being able to go out by myself to destress and it turned out to be something I loved.

Bike riding is fun, too.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Dancing (with weights)
  • Meloonie
    Meloonie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I used to hate anything exercise related! I thought that I'd better start making an effort seen as I'd hit a bit of a plateau so I started doing zumba three times a week on the wii for 20 mins and now (about 6 months later) I do at least an hour 6 days a week and can't stand it when I cant fit my workout in for any reason! Its just a matter of trial and error and finding something you like.

Good luck x
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I was a total couch potato, but I bought a stationary bike, the first day sucked....I was sore and so not motivated, that was Jan 18 of this year, now I'm up to jogging/brisk walking 50 minutes 3 times a day bike for 40 mins 4 times a day and weight training. I do some type of cardio 6 days a week and I look forward to it! I'm seeing the difference and so are others. Once you see your body changing it will help, if I can do it anyone can!
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about it! I lost the majority of my weight without doing any exercise. Once I'd lost it I actually felt like doing some (I guess I was tired with sore knees before!). My theory was to get one thing under control at a time and food was first (they say it is 80% diet and 20% exercise) so my focus was on eating well and if I did any exercise then it was a bonus. People go on about 'skinny fat' but I figure skinny fat is better than fat fat! Plus now I'm lighter I'm actually doing regular exercise as I have got way more energy.
    Anyway, my advice, worry about the food first and any exercise that comes along is a bonus.
  • ttate002
    ttate002 Posts: 54
    Options

Just keep doing it! Make it a habit and you will get used to it. To me, the results get me addicted. There has got be a reason that even though I'm a couple of pounds under 230 I can fit into L/XL tops and 14/16/XL bottoms. Nothing, but exercise and toning up what I have.
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has suggested, try different things until you find something you love. I would almost guarantee that one thing will lead to several. Set goals for yourself. I have never been a runner and started doing the couch to 5k (c25k.com) in January and LOVE it. Running has become a great stress relief for me. While it is not something that I necessarily enjoy while I'm doing it, it is something I look forward to and feel great after. :flowerforyou: Good luck with your journey :)
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Exercise isn't my thing either - I don't physically get an endorphin high, no matter how hard I work, so it can be difficult to motivate myself. One thing that has really worked for me is setting up an appointment for it, preferably with someone else that you don't mind getting sweaty in front of. Having someone else there to push me makes ALL of the difference for me.
  • Etrouton
    Etrouton Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was just like you! I hated exercise even as a kid I hated running, now I am slowly starting to get into exercise. I started walking and cycling to cover my calories if I went over my daily limit but now I really enjoy it and exercise everyday.

I think its about pushing though the first bit and learning to love it. I love how I feel after a workout so I focus on that and on how I can feel my body getting fitter and stronger! It's a really encouraging feeling even if i haven't lost weight that week! Also find the exercise you love, my favourites are zumba and walking with my boyfriend. I also think you need someone to exercise with to keep you motivated and push you harder! Plus you get to spend time with them!