Is 1200 Calories a day too little?

Options
I began MFP in July 2011 and was given the caloric intake limit of 1200. I'm being told by some people now that this may be too low and that I should adjust it to maybe 1500. I'm 5'6" and when I started I was 226 LBS, now I am 174 LBS so I have been losing weight, but I've been getting tired more frequently. What has been your experience? Also, If I do decide to go up to 1500 calories per day how do I change that setting on my diary?

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    The fatigue may very well be because of that. To modify your calories, click on 'goals' from the 'my home' tab. I'd personally raise them by 100/week given how long you've been on 1200 cal/day -- so next week eat 1300, then 1400 -- that way, you can evaluate where you feel better. But that's just my personal opinion.

Edited: Also, this'll allow you to adjust to eating more in a healthy manner without going to 'stuffed' feeling.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My Home > Goals > Change Goals > Custom/continue ...
  • Cherishanne
    Cherishanne Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The fatigue may very well be because of that. To modify your calories, click on 'goals' from the 'my home' tab. I'd personally raise them by 100/week given how long you've been on 1200 cal/day -- so next week eat 1300, then 1400 -- that way, you can evaluate where you feel better. But that's just my personal opinion.

Edited: Also, this'll allow you to adjust to eating more in a healthy manner without going to 'stuffed' feeling.

Thanks Susanna ~ I like the idea of going up only by 100 calories a week because I do get pretty full off of the 1200 calories at this point.
  • atx7
    atx7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    1200 Net Calories is not too little.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If it's telling you 1200 on the dot, it's probably because your weight loss goal is too aggressive. It will minimize it at 1200 to keep you from eating too little.

Sounds like bumping it up to 1300 should be fine, as others suggested. Or if you're currently on the x lbs/week plan, bump it back a step.
  • susannamarie
    Options

This very much depends on the person. For me 1440 net was not enough -- I was cranky, having difficulty working intellectually, and lacked the energy to properly work out, even if I ate the calories before exercise (which left me starving afterwards).
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I suspect more calories might do you good. You've lot a lot of weight! Slowing down a little gives your body a chance to adjust to the new weight and then start dropping down. Adjust your calories upward 100 to 200 at a time, until you find the right balance between weight loss and feeling good!
  • atx7
    Options

This very much depends on the person. For me 1440 net was not enough -- I was cranky, having difficulty working intellectually, and lacked the energy to properly work out, even if I ate the calories before exercise (which left me starving afterwards).

I don't buy it. At all. If you are eating well you will do okay on 1200 net. Looking at your food diary, you are eating an insane amount of empty, unhealthy calories every day.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options

I don't buy it. At all. If you are eating well you will do okay on 1200 net. Looking at your food diary, you are eating an insane amount of empty, unhealthy calories every day.

Just wanted to say, not everyone is suited to only 1200 net calories a day, no matter what they are eating. Some days I struggle with it, and I'm accustomed to eating less!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options

You don't have to buy it. She needs more than 1200 calories . If you like to starve, you go right ahead. Your body will thank you for making it suffer.

• toasterlisa
    toasterlisa Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My doctor, who MADE me sign up for MFP while I was in his office, would like me to eat 800 to 900 calories per day.

If I make sure that every calorie is good, nutritious, whole foods. I am pretty comfortable at that number.

His philosophy is "the faster you lose the weight, the more likely you are to keep it off".

I'm not sure if that's true, but at 1,200 calories per day (MFP's suggestion for me), I was losing about 1 lb per week. Lopping off that other 300-400 calories per day has me losing about 2 lbs a week.

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey!
  • susannamarie
    Options

It doesn't matter to *me* whether you buy it or not. What matters to *me* is where *I* feel healthy, lose weight, and have the energy to do what I want to do. Assuming that you/your way is the only way is frankly ridiculous. As the OP indicated she was feeling weak/lacking energy, clearly something is not working for her.
  • Cherishanne
    Options

I agree with the lack of wise food choices atx7, what are your reccomendations?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

It is for some people, when the average female has a recommended daily diet of 2000 calories, most women should be able to lose on 1500 - 1800.

it was too little for me, it make me dizzy, lightheaded and very cranky - I upped it to 1600 and am much happier.
  • atx7
    Options

Lean protein, complex carbs...cut out the 4-5 servings of Mountain Dew per day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My doctor, who MADE me sign up for MFP while I was in his office, would like me to eat 800 to 900 calories per day.

If I make sure that every calorie is good, nutritious, whole foods. I am pretty comfortable at that number.

His philosophy is "the faster you lose the weight, the more likely you are to keep it off".

I'm not sure if that's true, but at 1,200 calories per day (MFP's suggestion for me), I was losing about 1 lb per week. Lopping off that other 300-400 calories per day has me losing about 2 lbs a week.

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey!

If you look at all those who do the fad diets, they tend to gain it all back after they all lost it fast. Next, not that I want to question the wisdom of your doctor, but how much do you have to lose to go on such a LCD? Just curious.n Also, does your doctor realize, that fast weight loss increases the chance of muscle loss?

OP, as you lose weight you need to adjust your goal. Based on your weight, you should be aiming to lose 1 lb per week.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • Cherishanne
    Options

Lean protein, complex carbs...cut out the 4-5 servings of Mountain Dew per day.

I think you're looking at someone else's food diary, I never drink Mountain Dew... but I'll take the lean protein, complex carbs... thanks!
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want to achieve.

If you are really after a number on the scale, doing whatever it takes, my guess is that when you reach it, you have kind of a sensation of victory, that you are done. Goal achieved. I felt like that when I lost like 40 pounds, 5 years ago.

Where if you are after fitness goals, changing your eating but also your whole life around that new way of life, reaching your goal weight is really the beginning. Victory starts at day 1 and only gets better as your shape allows you more and more new activities.

Many diets work on the first approach, very little are working on the second one. That's something that is aggregated in this very nice study (which is getting a little old admittedly) : http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/hea/19/1S/5/ . We (the dieting industry if you want) are getting really good at putting off weight, but very bad at keeping it off. The 1200 mentality (or even less...) is clearly in the first category.

So if you are trying to change your lifestyle, adopt that lifestyle yesterday, and eat accordingly.
    Good luck :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

This sweeping statement is wrong for a large percentage of the population. In order to achieve a sensible and sustainable weight loss you need to take into consideration a bunch of factors, including height, weight, daily non-workout activity levels.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    This was just a topic a few days ago. It started a fire storm, and it's still going on. Be prepared!!

:)