Pull Ups/ Chin Ups for beginners

Options
HELP! I cannot do a pull up or chin up to save my life. I'm training for tough mudder and their guide and all the things I've read says being able to do one is a must. How do I begin? I can't pull my fat butt up!

Replies

• brasskim
    brasskim Posts: 39
    Options
    I have no idea! I'm training for Tough Mudder also. I have been working out but haven't attempted a pull up yet.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    some gyms have an assisted pull up machine where there's a weight to counter balance your bodyweight

you can also use bands that you wrap around the bar and it will give you assistance to complete the rep

or you can start off doing negatives. use a step to get yourself into the finished pullup position and hold it as long as you can and then reset yourself to complete a set.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    some gyms have an assisted pull up machine where there's a weight to counter balance your bodyweight

you can also use bands that you wrap around the bar and it will give you assistance to complete the rep

or you can start off doing negatives. use a step to get yourself into the finished pullup position and hold it as long as you can and then reset yourself to complete a set.

Awesome! Thank you!
  • Tshuggah42
    Options
    Use a chair! It helps so much. Just have one foot on the chair for added support and pull up. The closer the chair is, the easier. The further the harder. Good luck with the mudder!
  • aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    I'm currently training to do at least 3 pull ups. This website has great step by step ideas:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/04/25/do-a-pull-up/

Angie
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I just did one today for the first time. I was doing negatives for about 5 days and now I was able to do one. I put my pull up bar in the bathroom door frame, so everytime I go to the bathroom, I either do a negative pull up or attempt to do a regular pull up. Wow.