Salad dressing trick

Options
Does anyone else use this trick?. Get your salad dressing on the side. Dip the tines of your fork in the dressing before picking up your vegetables. You get the same flavor but cut WAY back on the amount of dressing you consume. I learned about it years ago and recently started re-employing it. You almost ALWAYS have dressing left over when you're done with your meal.

Replies

• CassieLeigh86
    CassieLeigh86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I DO THIS ALL THE TIME! I actually never did it because of calories, but because I always think there is WAY too much dressing on restaurant salads...I like to taste the produce!

Glad I'm not the only one...I've been told it looks a little strange haha
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Cool! I typically get the dressing on the side, but I've never tried this idea. Thanks - I will be doing this next time!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I've done this for years! I don't like a ton of dressing on salads, and this method lets me get just a little taste of dressing with every bite. I can usually get by with just a tablespoon of dressing - even on a massively huge salad!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i dont even use dressing anymore! whootoot!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do this too!
  • roycelynberry
    roycelynberry Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    nope but good idea i love ranch and i do not like the taste of lite but red wine ving..has became my new best friend
  • Shyster2005
    Shyster2005 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I started putting just hummus or a tablespoon of sour cream and a tablespoon of salsa on my salads. I LOVE IT. Way fewer calories than dressing, the flavor is fantastic, and veggies stay crunchy. Tine dipping is a great trick too!
  • judybrim
    judybrim Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome idea! Thanks for passing it on! Keep up the good work! :D
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Yup, I've been doing this for years since I started my weight loss journey with Weight Watchers :) Works like a charm. Kinda disgusting how much dressing restaurants actually use on 'salads'!!
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A little off topic, but I've just recently discovered white balsamic vinegar -- I sprinkle it on my salad and then sprinkle some fresh herbs on -- it's the BEST salad dressing ever, and almost NO calories added to your salad.

I know it's off topic, but it's my new favorite thing ever.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I use the vegetables as a utensil to eat my salad dressing. I love salad dressing. And I hate dry salad. I've tried the fork thing, but it doesn't do it for me. I've had to create salad dressings with fat free greek yogurt that I can slather on and eat guilt free. Currently using greek yogurt and salsa run through the vitamix.
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I've never done this eatting out. When at home, I mix my salad an half a serving of dressing in a larger bowl. The dressing gets evenly coated and you don't use nearly as much dressing!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    For everyone worrying about the extra fat salad dressing adds, I wanted to share this: http://blog.fooducate.com/2011/11/02/fat-free-salad-dressings-are-ridiculous-heres-why/ (I've seen this information many places, but I thought this explained it pretty well)

Apparently, a little bit of good fat on your salad is way better for you than fat-free dressing or just plain vinegar. :-)