vitamin d

Options
giag09
giag09 Posts: 203 Member
anyone take extra vitamin d on top of their daily vitamin.... i work in a drs office and all he talks about is how everyone is lacking it and its turning into a "miracle" vitamin... obvisiouly its not miraculous lol

Replies

• sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I added it after reading Robb Wolf's book and my husband's Dr. recommending it.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    yes i have vit d insufficiencey so i have to take extra! i have to take about 2000 IU a day
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Yes. I started taking them last year, and for the first time in my life my fingernails are strong, and I didn't get seasonal depression this winter.

Your doc is on to something.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I AM ADDICTED TO THE SUN!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do take an extra 2000 IUs a day plus get in the sun with out sun screen for 15 minutes a day when I can.
  • oceanviewdream
    oceanviewdream Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    yes my doctor put me on extra vit D about 6 mos ago.....
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I take vit. D. went for my blood work as i had no energy, tired alll the time and she said "no D in your system!' so she put me on 50,000 for 6 months. I now take a couple of D with calcium every day. feeling much better. For me it soooo helped
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Yup! I have Vitamin D deficiency and I'm also in the middle of the woods of Maine (no sun almost ever) plus I rarely drink milk, so I take a supplement.
  • rookmb
    rookmb Posts: 84
    Options
    Hi -
    Just so happens that I read a lot of articles about vitamin D last year, so I started taking it every day. I highly recommend everyone getting their levels checked. For me, it has given me more energy and I also believe it helps with depression. :)
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My level was 9. I believe normal is 30. Doc put me on prescription D - 50,000 IU's - once a week for a month. I have never felt better in my life! I used to be so incredibly achey. I just chalked it up to getting old. Also helped tremendously with anxiety and seasonal depression. I now take 3,000 IU's daily to maintain.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    YES! My doctor suggested it about 3 months ago, and my energy is through the roof now and I feel great!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/532305-tracking-vitamin-d
  • geezer99
    geezer99 Posts: 92
    Options
    My doctor recommends 1,000 iu of D3 every day. Be sure to get medical advice before taking mega-doses
  • alisonwww
    alisonwww Posts: 104
    Options
    My old and new doc check this when I get blood tests. I had been taking 1 D3-2000 per day, but after my most recent test, I was told to take 2 per day. I guess it's good for bones, breasts, colon health, mood, immuity, etc. My hair and nails have been growing like weeds recently too. Good stuff!!!
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Hi -
    Just so happens that I read a lot of articles about vitamin D last year, so I started taking it every day. I highly recommend everyone getting their levels checked. For me, it has given me more energy and I also believe it helps with depression. :)

I have been able to go completely off my anti-depressant due to Vitamin D. Additionally between D and eating right and exercise I no longer have any symptoms of IBS
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yes, I take vitamin D3 daily. After blood work, my doctor put me on D3. I've had to change the dosage a few times and I'm now up to 3,000 IU's a day.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Funny how "they" have been telling us, "Avoid the sun at all costs!" Now, we're learning the cost: Vitamin D deficiency.

I take 2000 IU D3 daily on doctor's advice.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Ehhhh I fake bake pretty regularly so I'm nowhere near vitamin D deficient. Horrible, horrible habit though :embarassed:
  • BarbiNay
    BarbiNay Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    5000 ui a day and I have not been sick since I s tarted it in July. Even a small cold when I feel it coming on usually is gone before it even sets in. It has given me more energy, boost my lack of energy and kept me from getting ill. I am a huge promoter of this and do think it is a miracle drug. LOL (or vitamin at least) :smile:
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I take 2000IU a day. It is the dose my dr recommends as a daily dose for all his patients, up here in Alberta.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    yep its the NEW cool thing. i went and was told mine was too low and had to take a supplement to get it back to normal. boyfriend went and was told the same thing. they're just getting everyone to take it it seems.....i have no complaints i want to be healthy but its just crazy they are basically telling everyone this now lol