Admitting my struggle. Repost in the RIGHT place this time.

Options
I have put about 12 pounds back on in about 8 weeks. it's been a crazy period of time. I had lots of job stress that lead to the decision to seek out and GET another job (too detailed to go into here; suffice it to say my place of employment is going downhill and I FINALLY wised up and got out of there). Secondly, my back went out and I have had to stop exercise due to back pain. Lastly I have been dealing with some depression, and trying hard to stay on top of it.

I fell into a trap of letting it all morph into a sort of break from being healthy and sensible, and as a result, I've gained 12 lbs. I was super close to the milestone of finally getting under 200 lbs. 199 was sooooo close. I avoided the scale because I just didn't want to know. Clothes are tighter. I can tell. So this morning, I finally told myself to be real and get the truth--see what the scale says. UGH. 212. I don't want to admit it, but I have to. I really don't want to "check in" and put that weight in on my profile. It's frustrating!

I am upset with myself. BUT, I am just going to remember that this is all valuable information and will learn from it. Beating myself up is pointless, except to really hold on to the information I learned. How NOT to respond to stress and exercise restrictions. I know this stuff, but sometimes we all need to "relearn".

What I am trying to take from this is that the truth is GOOD, even if it's not the truth we want to hear. I'm proud of myself for admitting it. I am proud of deciding to look the truth in the eye and accept it. Not be over dramatic, just be pragmatic and get back into the healthy habits that are part of taking care of myself.

This is my reality. I put 12 pounds back on. Let's get me started on taking those 12 off and hacking away at the rest of the weight I set out to lose.

Thanks.

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    This is the situation I am in now. I was under 200, slacked off and didn't track over a period of 3 years, and went back up to 223. A couple months ago I picked up and started over -- back down to 210.
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    it is a constant battle to lose weight and than you add on life streessers to it and it seems almost impossible at times. You have the right attitude at least so that is good. hearing your story makes me feel like i am no alone , as far,as, the depressiona dn gaining etc..... I have found even when ins ituatins of pain to try and walk and that helps the depression and than you might be more cautios to what you eat. But that is what works for me. Together we can lose the weight and we can stay on top of the depression and try to let go off life stressers by working out and eating right. PM if you ever need to vent :flowerforyou:
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    @Shan - I have been there as well, with the job, depression, gaining back some weight, for me it was 14 pounds.

I too was beginning to hate me job and I sought out new employment and I was blessed with a new job in December - I too suffer from depression. I was only 10 pounds from my goal of 128 when all of this set in and I am now 20 pounds from that initial goal of 128.

Together we can do this. Feel free to friend me if you like.
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Shannon, you have done super to overcome the fear and get on your scale. Good for you! You are handling this well. Remind yourself that you are human and be kind to yourself as you would to a friend. Try to be your own best friend!
  • Boonster001
    Options
    It is amazing how much our jobs can influence what we put in our mouths. It is a constant struggle!

Today you took the step towards getting back on track, don't beat yourself up. It is a new day, a new beginning and be proud of yourself for taking that step! Don't let the past define who you want to be in the future!

Proud of you, keep it up!

(Feel free to friend me - I'm new to this and enjoy the success/support of others!)
  • garnetsms
    garnetsms Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    The first step to recovery is to face the truth...good job!! You're on the right track!! And believe it or not, it happens to a lot of us. I had lost 25 lbs...life got busy and stressful, and I gave up, gained every bit of it back. I am so glad a friend told me about this website because now I have the support system I need to help me thru those really hard days, and people to celebrate the successes too.

Raise your glass to new beginnings!!!
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I had lost 110 lbs, and I started gaining it all back. I finally opened my eyes and remembered all of my reasons for doing this... and told myself that if I let this setback get in the way, I'd never get to my goal.

So I'm back with more determination that I remember having before. Just keep your chin up, and look at your ticker... you've come so far already... you can do it!
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I just started back here a couple weeks ago, and 9 pounds above my original SW - and also with back problems. I've got disc degeneration/spine misalignment/bone spurs in my SI joint/SI joint inflammation, and one of the things that has been recommended by my doctor is walking or swimming, to build more core muscles which will in turn prevent the back problems from being so, well, problematic. Have you talked with a doctor about that?

Good for you, for owning up to what's going on and making good changes and trying to get back to doing things the right way! <3
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    we're a work in progress. *hugs* just keep going.
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It is a struggle, every day. But I try to look at each new day as a chance to start over. Or even a new week, if that's what it takes. Hang in there, you can do it!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    We've all been there. 18 months ago, I had lost from 250 down to 192 with strict diet and portion control, and was feeling great. Then I went out of town for a couple of weeks, which led straight into holidays, which led straight into moving to a new town, which led into four months of "oh, I'll start dieting again on Monday. Just one more week of freedom." I gained back 34 pounds. I was so frustrated with myself, because I knew I had been eating like crap and I had just excused it.
    I started back on track in August, and in some ways, I'm grateful that I fell like that, because it gave me a chance to restart with the right attitude. Now it's changing my entire view on food and instead of separate "diet" meals for me, I cook healthy for the whole family. I've lost those 34 pounds, and then another 9 so far. It's frustrating to think of where I could be if I hadn't taken so many steps backwards. However, I never would have started running and working out without that kick in the butt. And now I'm more relaxed about having an "off" day, and can pull it back together without snowballing out of control.

You can do this. You have the strength (heck, admitting that you tripped shows that), you have the willpower, and you CAN do this.
  • ShazMc73
    ShazMc73 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your struggle. I have also recently put on 7 pounds also because of battles fo stress at work and depression . I had got down to 63 lbs lost with only 8 to go and NOW I am 15 lbs away from goal - all within about 6 weeks. Every day I have been packing my gym back and eating OK through breakfast and lunch then the stress hits and instead of heading to the gym I head home and EAT. I know what to do but somehow the will is just not there. This has to change before things go too far.

Thank you for sharing your story and renewed attitude; you have taken the steps I keep telling myself I need to - - would love to add you as a friend for the mutual support.

Well done you!
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You are starting back up. That is the most important thing! 12 lbs will seem like such a small amount compared to what you have already lost and I bet it comes off quickly for you. good luck!
  • footballmom12
    footballmom12 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Great job for hoping back up on the horse!!! Your friends are always here for you!!
  • busymom50
    busymom50 Posts: 29
    Options
    I totally agree with everyone here. We have all been there--some of us several times-and it has helped me so much knowing that even if I "mess up" or gain weight back the point is not to win a single battle,but to win the war. By not giving up and getting back on that scale(I know how hard that is and how that feels)you are on your way to winning the war. Keep it up!!! You can do it!!!!