Problem with gym shoes

Options
A bit embarrasing :blushing: but I need some advice.

I've got 2 pairs of shoes for the gym and try to alternate them.

However, they both smell as though a small animal has
crawled in and died in my shoes.

I don't like wearing insoles (odereaters) 'cause of the fit but does
anyone have any suggestions that would stop my husban from
throwing my smelly shoes away? :smile:

Thank you
Nicola x

Replies

• mbroeckelmanpost
    mbroeckelmanpost Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Look for Sneaker Balls (or something similar) to put in your shoes in between workouts.
  • jennibell81
    Options
    Crazy but stuff them with newspaper when not in use! It does work!!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I use Stuffits - I got them at my local running store, but you can get them online. They work really well.
  • DivaDiane
    DivaDiane Posts: 73
    Options
    Throw them in the washing machine with a couple of old towels (take out the laces and wash them, too).

I did this with mine (they weren't smelly, just dirty looking), and they came out looking like new.

Don't put them in the dryer, though, let them air dry in the sun.

Also, between washings, try sprinkling baking soda in them when you take them off and dump it out when it's time to wear them next.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Wash them in a washing machine than sit them in the sun to dry.
    When I ran cross country in high school I ran through HUGE puddles and my shoes would smell horrid after. That always worked!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Put dryer sheets in them when you are not wearing them.
  • softballsharie
    softballsharie Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Pour a generous amount of baking soda in them, shake them around, and let them sit outside overnight. Also, many people say not to put sneakers in the wash, but when I played for a summer softball team, I put my leather cleets in the wash because they were just far too stinky for baking soda! I popped them in the dryer after, and they always came out fine, and smelled good for a couple of weeks. I always used the gentle cycle with gentle detergent (ivory snow).
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Use moisture wicking socks and let the shoes sit out and dry out completely after each workout.
  • ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Throw them in the washing machine with a couple of old towels (take out the laces and wash them, too).

I did this with mine (they weren't smelly, just dirty looking), and they came out looking like new.

Don't put them in the dryer, though, let them air dry in the sun.

Also, between washings, try sprinkling baking soda in them when you take them off and dump it out when it's time to wear them next.

This! This is what I do my shoes are grateful!
  • emounteer
    Options
    Yeah lol wear socks and wash your feet. lol
  • Brittfig08
    Options
    Stuff newspaper in them! it really does work, along with all of the other suggestions.

I used to throw my shoes on barefoot (no socks) to run an errand or something, that would cause them to stink.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    silver socks. really, they make awesome socks impregnated with silver as it is antimicrobial. I have a gym towel like that as well. no smells!
  • mstemen
    mstemen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think a user said this already but get some good thick moisture wicking socks. Also for wetness and oder I use baby powder and let them sit overnight.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I put Gold Bond Medicated powder in mine.
  • Lance_K
    Lance_K Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    To help with sweaty feet and odor, buy a Thai Deodorant Crystal and use it on your feet everyday.
  • lanzaroteblue
    lanzaroteblue Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your suggestion
    I'll def be trying out them - I already wash my feet thankfully :bigsmile:
    Nicola xxx