Too much protein?

Options
I often go over on my recommended protein b/c I eat egg whites almost every morning and I eat a lot of chicken too.

Is it harmful to eat too much protein?

Replies

• Boston01810
    Boston01810 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I think it depends if you have any medical problems. If not, my trainers have told me to have protein at every meal and at every snack (so 5 times per day)... What have others been instructed to do?
  • fishtetris
    Options
    there is not a problem with having too much protein really. in fact i go over on protein myself a lot. excess proteins will go unused for the most part and you will actually pee it out. :smile:
  • kolney
    kolney Posts: 93
    Options
    Thank you! I know if you have kidney disease you should be careful about eating too much but I don't have any kidney issues.

I love my protein and don't want to cut it back!
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of friends that goes to the wellness fitness programs and they say to eat about what you weigh in protein, i think the program on here is low so i believe it is ok..

lots of protein and fiber .. bad thing is fiber does awful things to ones body:embarassed:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    For some unknown reason, MFP has proteins set lower than normal. A good estimate to go by is divide your current weight by 2, and that's how many grams of protein you should be shooting for daily, particularly if you're doing both cardio and weight training. You can reset your protein levels by customizing your goals in the tools section of MFP.
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    For some unknown reason, MFP has proteins set lower than normal. A good estimate to go by is divide your current weight by 2, and that's how many grams of protein you should be shooting for daily, particularly if you're doing both cardio and weight training. You can reset your protein levels by customizing your goals in the tools section of MFP.

i knew it was something about weight:blushing:
  • kolney
    kolney Posts: 93
    Options

Wow! Thanks. MFP has me at 45g but I weigh 150 pounds so that's a lot lower than what I really "should" be eating.

Off to change my settings! Thank you!
  • patns
    patns Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had the same question. I have also been told to have protein at every meal. I had a protein shake at breakfast, tune at lunch and chicken at dinner. My calories are still short but it is showing double the amont of protein they recommend.
  • d5d14m66
    d5d14m66 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Taking the "half your weight" approach, MFP is pretty close on my recommended protein -- only 5 grams too low.

My trouble is getting enough protein -- I have a tendency toward insulin resistance, and my doctor advised that I change my diet so I won't have to go on meds (and avoid diabetes). She told me to have protein with my carbs/sugar, especially at breakfast.

My problem is that I'm not a big meat eater, and am allergic to pecans & walnuts. I could live on peanut butter, but even the reduced fat kind has sugar.

Any suggestions for low-fat sources of protein I can add to my breakfast?
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Eggs - hard boiled is pretty good because there is no fat from frying or milk from scrambling. 1 large egg - 70 cal, 5 fat, 1 carb, 6 protein
    Canadian Bacon - 60 cal, 2 g fat, 0 carb and 9 protein (I use ready-to-eat and microwave them)
    Pepperidge Farms Carb Style 7 grain bread - 60 cal, 2 fat ,9 carb, 5 protein
    Peanut butter - reduced fat - 1 tablespoon - 80 cal, 6 fat, 7.5 carb, 4 protein
    Cheese - Sargento reduced fat swiss - 60 cal, 4 fat, 1 carb, 7 protein
  • Shuutnstar
    Shuutnstar Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of protein from a Slim Fast shake, ice and a banana! Yummy, refreshing and VERY FILLING!

11 grams of Protein. Also decently source of fiber (just make sure to bring some BEANO or Gas-X or you could embarrass yourself when you first start drinking these! Sugar is a bit high and it has a bunch of carbs, but I need them in the AM to keep going!

I am going to be trying Muscle Milk Light instead of the Slim fast soon... (I just forgot my blender cup!) I will let you know how that tastes.