High Calorie Days

Options
So I've heard that you should allow yourself one high calorie day per week to rev the metabolism. Is this fact based or just malarkey? I ask because I fear I have fallen into this whole every few days I eat 1,000+ calories over my daily allowance and needless to say I'm not losing any weight. I guess I just kind of need to write this out loud and realize my theory is B.S.

Trying to find ok-ness in a plate of nachos...

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. Some people swear by them and some swear at them.

Going 1k over every few days is definitely too much. You already know that though :wink:

For example- on my 'relaxed day' (once a week or once every two weeks) I go over my weight loss calories by about 300-400.

So perhaps having one free MEAL a week would work better for you?
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30876359/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/

"Want to lose weight? Cheat on your diet

No sweets, no snacking, no salt, no butter, no oil, no fun whatsoever — diets are associated with deprivation for a reason. Not surprisingly, they're also associated with a resolve that crumbles like a handful of potato chips in the face of temptation. Give in enough times, and you end up giving up altogether. "

It's too long to post the whole thing but you see the link at the top. Of course, you should still stay w/in your calories most of the time:

"Of course, there's being indulgent, and then there's being delusional — and even on the Cheater's Diet, there's a big difference between savoring a scoop of low-fat ice cream and “accidentally” finishing off the whole carton."

Good luck!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Having an occasional higher calorie day is good for the soul. It keeps me motivated, and feeling less deprived. I think I'd limit the extra calories you consume in a WEEK to no more than what you're DAILY DEFICIT is. My daily deficit is set to 1000, so I figure if I allow myself that many extra calories spread out over a week (or one night even), it's not so bad in the long haul.

Hope that all made sense, because it does in my head. lol
  • CubLub63
    CubLub63 Posts: 12
    Options
    I've had a cheat day every week and I have still managed to lose 21 lbs. Just do everything in moderation. For example, I have been wanting cheesecake all week so today, I made a low-calorie version of cheesecake and it satisfied the craving. Going over your limit by 1000 calories may be a bit much though. I put this way, for myself... if I choose to diet and take away all the food joys in life then I know I will fail because I can't have anything I really like to eat. Giving in a little has allowed me to still enjoy the bad stuff, and then I get back on track during the week. Like I said, just don't over do it and you should be fine! :)
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I do 800 to 1000 over about every 3 to 4 weeks. Since I am choosing to eat healthy even on that day, it has worked well for me. I lost 27 pounds in 13 weeks. Google zig zag calories and find out more about how this does work.
  • frogg2allegra
    Options
    Ok so here is my zig zag calorie/weight loss story...
    Same amount of exercise for the last 5 weeks
    Week 1 :Zig Zag-2.6 loss
    Week 2: Zig Zag-2.6 loss-joined mfp
    Week 3: zig zag-2.4 loss
    Week 4:no zig zag-1.4 loss-used mfp #'s only
    Week 5: no zig zag-1.6 loss-used mfp #s only

Needless to say, I'm going back to zig zagging. It could be coincidence but I don't think so??????
    That's just me!

http://www.freedieting.com
  • Alafia22
    Alafia22 Posts: 112
    Options
    Eating a little extra when I really need to has helped me as well.

Good Luck!