Eating more really DOES help weight loss!

Options
lizard053
lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
I know, I know! I've been told many times over that I need to be eating more. Still eating clean, but just more quantity. Ever since I backed of the uber-aggressive ultra low calorie plan that my doctor has me on, incorporating about 25% more calories or so, I've really started to lose! A lot! Now this ULC plan has worked for me in the past, until I switched to formulas that contained yeast, yeast extract and/or autolyzed yeast extract, and gained like crazy, and felt awful. So I ate more carbs (bread) and kept feeling awful and kept gaining. Now that I know these 2 new little secrets, I'm losing again! And losing quickly! I'm so going to make my goal weight by my birthday this year!

Thank you, all you lovely MFPers, for kicking me in the butt, and keeping me motivated during my stalls!

Replies

• helloliss
    helloliss Posts: 43
    Options
    Nice ! hope you reach your goal for your birthday :) keep it up !
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! You can do it! :flowerforyou:

I let my daily intake fall way low when I was sick a few weeks ago and have had trouble mentally letting myself get back up to the cals I was having before. Today shouldn't be too difficult, though, since I made myself a ginormous cal-packed (though healthy) smoothie this morning, lol! Thanks for the reassurance that upping is going to be what's best for me in the long run.
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    lol I know it does haha
  • allisshiney
    allisshiney Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I increased my food 1.5 weeks age and am losing much faster too.
  • dcollins1014
    Options
    May I ask by what you mean by eating more? My calorie intake is suppose to be around 1360 for the day without any exercise. Are you eating more then what your calorie intake is, or are you just making sure you are eating at least that much and no less and eating your exercise calories as well?
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Eating more, of healthy food of course. :)
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    can someone explain the secrets to me that you speak of in this post?? I am unsure waht i should be taking in but i am only taking in 1200 calories. Should i be eating more???
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    May I ask by what you mean by eating more? My calorie intake is suppose to be around 1360 for the day without any exercise. Are you eating more then what your calorie intake is, or are you just making sure you are eating at least that much and no less and eating your exercise calories as well?

From the studies I have seen, going lower calorie doesn't necessarily mean you will lose fat faster, it just increases your muscle loss. So you lose weight faster, but maybe not the weight you wanted to lose. So if you don't eat back your exercise calories I don't think you are doing yourself any favors. Weight loss isn't a race. Being healthy is a good thing.
  • Charisse1011
    Charisse1011 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    congrats, love ur profile pic...
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    That is great to hear! Good on you.

I am currently increasing my complex carbs because i realised I really don't eat many. I think the effect it has on me is that my blood sugar gets low and I crave sweets.
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    I get what everyone is saying about eating more. Im trying to eat 1500-1700 cals a day ( I only average a little over 1500). The problem Im having is keep my number out of the red. I tend to be high on sodium, sugar, protien and fat. Not all of them on the same days but at least 2 or 3 on most days. My diary is open feel free to PM me with any ideas. Im also doing the Insanity workouts, jog and will be adding a boot camp workout 2-3x a week so I grind hard but I still need help.Thanks!
  • Suzanne77598
    Options
    I have such a hard time eating more than 1,000 to 1200 calories. I just feel like I don't lose weight if I do. This is a real mental challenge for me. I KNOW about starvation mode and all that, but ...
  • tantrum69
    tantrum69 Posts: 16
    Options
    I would say this is true. Basically what you want to do is eat every 2 hours if you can. 3 squars and 3-4 'snacks'. This will keep your body digesting and metabolism going. Your body will only process so much carbs, protein, etc. at one sitting, so figure out your calories for the day, divide the calories by the number of meals you want to eat then figure out your macros from there.

Sounds complicated, but it's really not.

I used to skip brekafast, destroy lunch, eat junk food as a snack, gorge on dinner and eat junk into the night. My first task as part of my 'weight loss' was to actually force myself to eat breakfast. In doing so, i noticed i wasn't very hungry or would eat half for lunch that I used to eat. That was my eureka moment and so the ball started rolling and the pounds started dropping as I refined my sleep, diet and exercise routine.
  • tantrum69
    tantrum69 Posts: 16
    Options
    That is great to hear! Good on you.

I am currently increasing my complex carbs because i realised I really don't eat many. I think the effect it has on me is that my blood sugar gets low and I crave sweets.

Eat a banana and drink about 8 oz of water. bye bye sweet craving.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I don't track my calories anymore. I eat a big breakfast and protein filled lunch, and drink fresh veggie juice for dinner. I get most of the major calories in pretty early in the day. That is what works for me. I eat really clean and gave up gluten entirely. I no longer gain weight when I am not actively trying to lose it. Losing weight is so individual. I don't think I digest well in the evenings so I eat all my calories early in the day and still feel satisfied. Glad you founf something that works for you too. Eating healthy calories makes a difference too.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bump...Need to read this later... :)

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I get what everyone is saying about eating more. Im trying to eat 1500-1700 cals a day ( I only average a little over 1500). The problem Im having is keep my number out of the red. I tend to be high on sodium, sugar, protien and fat. Not all of them on the same days but at least 2 or 3 on most days. My diary is open feel free to PM me with any ideas. Im also doing the Insanity workouts, jog and will be adding a boot camp workout 2-3x a week so I grind hard but I still need help.Thanks!

MFP sets the macros so wrong..make them 40-30-30 (protein-fat-carb). You can change them under goals in your profile area. It will keep you out of red. You're doing great!
    Also- make sure you eat your exercise calories back!! It is very important specially when you're doing heavy workouts like Insaity/bootcamp/P90x etc. There's tons of posts here and on BB site regarding this.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

Your diary generally looks pretty healthy!!
    The reason you go over protein is because Mfp standards are stupidly low at 15%, try switching to 30p / 30f /40c.
    Standard sugar allowance is very low too, mine was going over from an apple and a glass of milk! As long as your sugar is over due to fruit / natural sugars don't worry too much (I think about 60g day is 'healthy' maximum sugar). You could switch to diet soda to save sugars too
    Sodium is mostly in processed foods so keep those down and you should be fine :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!