Low sodium food ideas...please

Options
Hi! I'm trying to find some high calorie, low sodium foods/meals that I can have ( I don't eat red meat). I have been eating way too low on the calories so I need to eat more ( usually another 500 calories per day) . Unfortunately, my sodium has been high so I would also like to correct that.

Thanks in advance for all who help!

Replies

• s0ready
    s0ready Posts: 99
    Options
    bump
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Are you able to eat nuts? If so, I'm told they're an excellent way to get more calories in. If you choose the shelled or unsalted type, I expect they'd be lower in sodium as well.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    unsalted almonds. a 1/2 cup will jump your calories right up.
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    home cooking with fresh ingredients, id say 99% of processed foods contain sodium as its a good preservative
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    anything not in a bag/box/can
    unsalted nuts as well
  • crazydv
    crazydv Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the idea of nuts. I'm not really crazy about them but could have enough to up my calories.

I was shocked to see how high my sodium intake was especially since I never use/cook with salt and i don't eat frozen foods. I did find lots of sodium in my salad dressing and in my reduced fat crumbled blue cheese. I will give them up on days that I am high on sodium!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the idea of nuts. I'm not really crazy about them but could have enough to up my calories.

I was shocked to see how high my sodium intake was especially since I never use/cook with salt and i don't eat frozen foods. I did find lots of sodium in my salad dressing and in my reduced fat crumbled blue cheese. I will give them up on days that I am high on sodium!
    a lot of reduced fat things will have extra sodium (or sugar) in them to make up for the flavor difference - cheese usually has enough sodium to begin with lol but yea - just an fyi for ya :)
  • Mijo88
    Mijo88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I start my day every day with protein shake with strawberries and real vanilla. Great amount of protein and calories.
  • crazydv
    Options
    Was thinking about a protein Smoithie..what kind of protein powder do you use? I've never bought any
  • Mijo88
    Mijo88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    GNC makes a good one... just a normal whey protein. I use the one I got at the gym, it's called Nutriwhey protein. I like it because it really tastes good. I use the vanilla flavored one as well because I like to add real fruit or nuts to the shake as well. If you have any more questions send me a message and I'll try and answer it the best I can.

Cheers!
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with banana is a good snack that will add some calories (and protein) but not much sodium.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    For an afternoon snack, I sometimes like an avocado with salt and fresh ground pepper, sprinkled with some good red wine vinegar. About 250 calories, most of them good monounsaturated fat. Very little sodium, lots of potassium and fiber, and very satisfying (if of course you like the taste of avocado). You might also make a simple guacamole with it.
  • crazydv
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions! I really do appreciate your help!
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    For an afternoon snack, I sometimes like an avocado with salt and fresh ground pepper, sprinkled with some good red wine vinegar. About 250 calories, most of them good monounsaturated fat. Very little sodium, lots of potassium and fiber, and very satisfying (if of course you like the taste of avocado). You might also make a simple guacamole with it.

^^^ Winner !!
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Goat cheese only has 45g sodium for an ounce!! I was very happy to discover that, as I am watching my sodium as well. I saw that you like cheese crumbles, so maybe you could use goat cheese instead? not super high in calories, but it'll help!!!

Butternut squash is yummy and only has 2mg per half cup!!!

Today I found some "Hint of Salt" Wheat Thins that are only 135mg or so of sodium.

Other ideas: eggs, grilled chicken, Tzatsiki yogurt dip for your veggies, meats & fish (55mg per serving). I also heard that Boar's Head makes a natural roast beef that has no nitrites or nitrates and is only 135 or so mg of sodium for 2oz...but if you don't eat red meat then that wont work....just an idea! :smile:

Edit: oh, and oatmeal!!! No sodium!!! maybe an egg and some oatmeal with nuts for breakfast...

event.png
  • LynneBellaire
    Options
    I like Greek Yogurt with protein powder and a drizzle of honey. Also, if you have a Trader Joe's near you then get their trek mix with raw nuts.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    A shake with milk and whey protein will help up your cals. My new favorite is strawberry whey protein- I just use the Body Fortress brand as it is inexpensive. I also like to use the vanilla flavor with some PB2 (powdered peanut butter). They are both delicious. I have also blended ice, milk, banana, and chocolate whey- tastes like ice cream!
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    One thing I have done to lower my sodium intake is I cut out all lunchmeat. I went and bought a big pack of chicken breasts, boiled them up and then diced it up and put in baggies in 2oz portions and freeze them. I then take them out on the days I'm gonna use them and mix it up with a teeny bit of light Mayo and make a sandwich out of it, with either a pita or a sandwich round. Doing thus alone has cut my sodium down a TON!!
  • crazydv
    Options
    so many wonderful ideas..Thanks so very much!