working out 2 hrs a day..and no weight loss?

Options
So I've been at the gym for 3 weeks working out over 2 hours a day and I haven't seen any weight loss. How long did it take you to lose a couple of lbs from working out? I usually do 45 minutes elliptical, 25 minutes treadmill (c25k), 25 minutes stair climber, 20 minutes bike, and 25 minutes walking on treadmill with a 15 incline. I know it has only been 2 weeks, but I thought that since I am working my tail off I should have atleast dropped a lb.

I haven't started lifting weights because I'm a little intimidated by it. I don't know where to start or what to do! I'm thinking that I will start tomorrow though :)

Any thoughts? TIA!

Replies

• MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I do think you should start some sort of resistance training wether with weights or resistance bands.

But how much are you eating? 2 hrs at the gym is a lot so you have to make sure you are eating enough to fuel your body. If you are starving your body it won't drop the weight.
  • fitgal411
    fitgal411 Posts: 668
    Options
    First of all, 2 hours a day is a little much to be exercising if you're doing it for weight loss (unless you're a professional athlete). Do you have a rest day once a week? Sometimes your body needs that extra day to prepare itself for the week ahead. The formula for weight loss is "cardio + strength training", so it takes - not just one - but both types of exercise to drop the pounds you need to. Are there any weight machines at the gym? Try those instead of the free weight ones. And the instructors are always there to help, so don't be afraid to ask them for a tour of the free weights and lessons on how to use them.

Second, are you eating all of your exercise calories? Your body may have gone into "starvation mode", which slows down your metabolism and makes it harder to lose weight.

Good luck and I hope you see the results you want soon!:flowerforyou:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    At two weeks in, you should start dropping weight soon. Though I cannot see your food diary, I did read another post you made with a sample of what you eat, and you stated you can barely eat your 1200 cals of maintenance, never mind your exercise cals.

No wonder you're not dropping weight, your poor body is in shock = you're starving yourself!!!
    I wouldn't have time to eat either if I was at the gym for two hours every day!! Though I'm secretly jealous of you, so if you can do that, by all means don't stop, but lady -- ya need to force feed yourself.

Again, I don't know your food choices daily, but you're going to have to start to choose some heavier duty stuff. In the beginning I too had a hard time putting that much food in my body (except on McDonalds nights, and I don't and won't do those anymore)... and MFP friends suggested a tablespoon of peanut butter at the end of the day would give me those last few cals I needed to nourish my efforts. I swear by all that's holy, it worked, and it will for you too.

Also, if you are not drinking water, please start doing so.
  • leakewh
    leakewh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My physician says you have to work your @$% off to lose weight working out compared to reducing your caloric intake....where are you ending up with your total calories versus goal..? My wife had same problem years ago and went to the doctor...hypothyroidism...it will get you every time...
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Just a though, I've found a lot of great articles on this site, but this one seems to apply :happy:
    http://www.fatburn.com/article_show.asp?article_id=13
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Though I cannot see your food diary, I did read another post you made with a sample of what you eat, and you stated you can barely eat your 1200 cals of maintenance, never mind your exercise cals.

No wonder you're not dropping weight, your poor body is in shock = you're starving yourself!!!

Ditto.

That is why you are not losing weight.

Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • portia
    portia Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How many calories a day are you eating?
    Muscle weighs more than fat, you could be gaining muscle.
    Eat adequate protein. I take a protein supplement.
    It is very slow. I have lost 10 pounds in 3 months. That is not much.
    Some peole say if you take it off slow you keep it off, I don't know.
    Also maybe you need a laxative like metamucil to lose 2 pounds.
  • alipetrey
    Options
    I'd say double check your calorie intake. Almost always we want to eat more when we are working out. Our body does need nourishment after workouts like you have described, but too often we can consume more than we need to.

I lost around 50 pounds eating 1800-1600& working out 3-5x a week for 1 hr. each trip.

I weighed 284 and now weigh 245.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds really bogus and I have no idea why this occurs, but I work out hard all week and am at a standstill on the scale. When I take a day off and then get on the scale the next day, it always seems like I'm down 1 or 2 pounds. This may just be coinscidence or whatever, but maybe your body needs more breaks and maybe not so much intensity. You could always try this and maybe you will start dropping. Good luck! I know it must be so frustrating....
  • carlahgay
    carlahgay Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Aww...I LOVE MFP! Everyone is so encouraging!

I only eat about 1200 calories a day. I seriously cannot eat anymore than that it makes me feel really sick! 1200 calories usually feels me up. I'll put my eating diary on public so maybe I can get some recommendations on food. I usually have about 900 exercise calories leftover. I'll have to try the peanut butter idea!

I am forcing myself to take a rest day today. So we'll see if that helps any :) Thanks everyone! I'll try everyones recommendations!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I was having that problem (how to eat the exercise calories) and I bought some protein bars (low carb for me). I eat part of it before my workout (about 1/3) and the rest after. It adds 210 calories to my day which seems to end up being about 1/3 the calories of my 1 hr workout of strength + cardio.

Also, I only "work out" every other day although I do get some light exercise on my off days- a walk with the dog or yard work or dancing..something, but not the gym pounding. It seems to be very effective and I can feel my body adjusting to the breakfast/evenly spaced meals/adequate calories/exercise, and the weight and inches are coming off.