Head just isnt catching up at all ?

Options
Ive lost 70 odd lbs with only about 30lbs to go and look at pics from the start and I CAN see a difference when I look at them but day to day I dont feel like Ive lost so much its like my head hasnt caught up - I still go for the XL sizes and still feel overweight - Im sure its because it has come off slowly and not noticable 1-2lb at a time - but my head still sees me as overweight - any suggestions on how to get my head around it ?

Replies

• countdowntotarget
    countdowntotarget Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    just me experiencing this ??
  • GenFo
    GenFo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I feel the same. The lady at our coffee cart keeps telling me I need to buy smaller trousers and her daughter calls me tiny, but I'm still a big chicken hiding in my fat clothes.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to adjust as well. When I went from ~200 to ~140 it took me a couple of years to walk into clothing shops that weren't plus sized and not feel weird. I still tend to grab clothes off the rack that are too big. I guess all I can say is give it time.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I think part of it also has to do with how long you've carried the extra weight around. You got used to thinking of yourself a certain way, so it will probably take some time for you to get used to the idea that you have changed.
  • Brandie1029
    Brandie1029 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. When I go to buy new clothing I still grab the plus size clothes that i have worn for a very long time. My head just can't grasp that i am no longer the size that I was recently in. LOL And i too still feel like a heffer.
  • countdowntotarget
    Options
    I think part of it also has to do with how long you've carried the extra weight around. You got used to thinking of yourself a certain way, so it will probably take some time for you to get used to the idea that you have changed.

I think this is part of the problem - I have been overweight all my life and its taking some getting used to
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    It took a long time before my head caught up to the fact I had actually lost the weight. For the longest time, I would look in the mirror and see the old me. Not sure when or how that changed, but for the most part I see the "new" me. Though there are days, the old me seems to show up in the mirror.... Just weird head games!

Give it time and eventually your head will catch up with the new you.

And congrats on the 70 pound loss -- that's awesome!!
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    You're not the only one. I went from 168 to 133 in a year so 1-2lb of loss a week if that. The funny thing is that now I have more days where I look at myself and feel like I look fat than when I did before. I still pick the bigger clothes sizes up when shopping and get shocked if people comment that I'm "skinny" my brain really doesn't think I am. Like the others have said though its a work in progress and I'm sure we'll all get there
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I feel this way too. Other people call me skinny, and I'm like, "ehhh.... they're a little blind, aren't they?" :confused:

I just want to you to know that I freaking LOVE your ticker and profile pic. My daughter and I <3 NKOTB. :) We're total blockheads. Went to a concert-2nd row-last year, and it was the night our lives.
  • Katy285
    Katy285 Posts: 18
    Options
    Same here, I still think I'm big. Like today for example, I had to go buy a new pair of dress pants for my uniform. My old ones are a size 18, so I took sizes 16, 14, 12, and 10 to the dressing room. I tried all of them and found it hard to believe that the ones that fit me perfect were a size 10. Losing weight can be bittersweet sometimes lol. Those type of uniform pants I had to purchase were $69. All my clothes is very loose but I can't go shopping every weekend. Still happy though ;)
  • Jordynnsmom
    Jordynnsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It is funny you posted this because I was just saying the same thing. I just bought a dress thinking it would be snug and it's actually about 2 sizes too big. I think it will take quite a while for your brain to catch up with your body. I have also been heavy all my life and I am finally out of plus sizes, but am almost scared to shop in the regular clothes. Maybe it is just a habit that has to be broken.
  • countdowntotarget
    Options
    I feel this way too. Other people call me skinny, and I'm like, "ehhh.... they're a little blind, aren't they?" :confused:

I just want to you to know that I freaking LOVE your ticker and profile pic. My daughter and I <3 NKOTB. :) We're total blockheads. Went to a concert-2nd row-last year, and it was the night our lives.

Thanks for the advice/support

* Totally off topic * there are LOADS of BH's on here - going to see them 3 times in April Woooooooo :)
  • countdowntotarget
    Options
    It is funny you posted this because I was just saying the same thing. I just bought a dress thinking it would be snug and it's actually about 2 sizes too big. I think it will take quite a while for your brain to catch up with your body. I have also been heavy all my life and I am finally out of plus sizes, but am almost scared to shop in the regular clothes. Maybe it is just a habit that has to be broken.

I still automatically go to the back of the rails to pick the biggest size - I cant wait to pick clothes that I LIKE rather than what fits - at least I know Im not alone :)
  • FattieBeGone
    FattieBeGone Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    it took me ages to get my head around things too. I lost the main bulk of my weight a few years ago and I always still felt self concscious. I remember putting on a jacket I hadn't worn in a long time just cos I couldn't find anything to match what I was wearing so in desperation in grabbed it,hoping it would button up and actually got a bit of a fright when it wrapped wight around it,it was like 2 sizes too big. It was then I realised that maybe the picture I had in my head of myself didnt match the real picture!