What does eating clean mean to you?

Options
eig6
eig6 Posts: 249 Member
Just curious to know what it means to different people. Does it mean paleo diet? Whole foods? Vegetarian? Or is it more general like more vegetables than fast food?

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I follow a 90/10 rule.

90% of my food is whole foods and natural.
    No processed meat etc.
    10% junk!
    Whatever interests me if its 10% of my calories for the day i'll eat it.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I take the Primal approach, Order grass fed and free range meat from 8oclockranch.com and try to get as many of my veggies/fruits/dairy from organic local farms as I can.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    To me, it means organic and whole foods. So brown rice is better than white rice, but organic brown rice would probably be the cleanest.

The more processed the food is, the less likely I am to eat it.

I am not a stickler for the organic stuff, but I do make an effort to avoid preservatives whenever possible. I have come to realize that some evils are lesser than others. I just try to eat the best I can for my body and my family's medical history.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat out of a box ! unless its a pizza box of course. Lots more salads veggies fruits i cook my own meats.... ive been only drinking water or coffee im still learning tho:)
  • SCUBAMomofTwo
    Options
    As little processed food as possible. Local sourcing for as much of my food as I can, including grass fed beef, chicken raised on a pecan orchard and free range chicken eggs too. Organic when I can/can afford. Whole foods, as close to their original state as possible. Lots and lots of "home cooking"; little convenience foods.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    To me, it means very minimally processed foods or whole foods and no chemicals (sweeteners, artificial flavors, etc.).
  • Fit_and_Healthy
    Options
    It means washed food to me. Take that triple whopper, run it under some water and bam, clean food!
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    Options
    NO processed food, fast food, junk food, simple carbs.

Eating a balanced meal with carbs (fruits/veggies), healthy fat and protein
  • MrkTrussell
    Options
    Eating clean doesn't necessarily mean eating organic. Eating clean just means non-processed foods, i.e. foods with only one (MAYBE a few) ingredient. Check out my diet (open to all). I consider myself to be eating clean.
  • healthycurves2012
    Options
    To me, eating clean means eating foods that occur in nature. Nothing processed, nothing refined. This means no white flour or products made from it, no refined sugars, and no preservatives/chemicals. In a nutshell, nothing that comes in a box. There are packaged foods that are clean, for example, Larabars. They have no additives, just real food ingredients. I was vegan at one time but then gave it up because I realized how many processed foods I was eating to substitute for the real foods I was missing. It wasn't worth it to me. Now I just try for a balance of clean-to-not so clean.
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It means washed food to me. Take that triple whopper, run it under some water and bam, clean food!

Haha, this made me laugh!

Whole unprocessed foods is the way I think of it too... though I think some bad stuff (I like that 90% - 10% way of thinking of it is neat) is good too! I think I would go nuts if I never ate some goodies...Also, home cooking is the best!
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    For me, eating clean means a variety of foods which include lean meats (preferably without the added hormones and the animal had a good free range diet and fed organcially...though this is next to impossible to find =/ ), it also means eating lots of fruits and veggies-all organic...not always possible, but most of it is organic. Not eating processed foods (every once in a while i do, but thats not my norm), i dont drink/eat anything labeled "diet" because i dont fancy "fake sugars" with the health risk associated with them. I think any genetically modified foods, added hormones, chemicals, pesticides is eating "dirty" ...though sometimes its a challenge to find, but thats what i strive for.
  • msespresso
    msespresso Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for as little processed foods as possible- basically, in the grocery store I avoid the center aisles most of the time and focus on meat, dairy, fruit and veggies (with the occasional trip to the bakery).

I'm not saying I'm eating clean 100%... but my goal is at least 80% of the time.

I keep seeing more and more about genetically modified fruits and veggies, too... so I'll buy organic when I can afford it (not often right now, unfortunately!)
  • wonderlady71
    wonderlady71 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I too am changing my lifestyle to lose weight and lose my cholesterol meds! Just started Monday - shopped the outer aisles except for a quick trip into processed land for brown rice! I feel pretty good and have been impressed with the weight loss just by eating healthy - and I am certainly eating plenty!! Anyone have any yummy veggie dishes to share? Getting bored boiling or sauteeing (altho garlic is my best friend). Thanks!
  • HealthyLivingKathy
    HealthyLivingKathy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    For me, it is avoiding corn syrup (allergic) and as many processed foods as possible. I am most concerned by the carbs and that they be complex as much as possible due to diabetes 2. I am new on MFP and controlling my diabetes without meds. Until the first of April clean eating is all about the carbs and after April 1, I'm adding in the calorie part of the equation. I need to do this in steps to be most successful.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Limiting consumption of processed foods. Increasing consumption of fresh foods closest to their natural state (i.e. no fried cabbage :tongue: ).

Limitng foods with little to no nutritional value like sodas. And watching out for genetically engineered or altered products. I stopped eating Morningstar products because they use GMO soy in all but one of their products.

But I love red velvet cake and I will splurge and eat it sometimes.

Moderation is key.
  • scarlettd12
    scarlettd12 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have recently started trying to eat more clean....and to me this means more natural food and less processed food. So lots of fruits and veggies for me. For proteins I try to stick with chicken, turkey and fish. Also greek yogurt and eggs. Whole grains like brown rice. Basically the outer perimeter of the grocery store. Very little pre-made or boxed stuff. And if I do buy something boxed, I try to look at the ingredients and try to keep it to 4 or 5 ingredients and also staying away from ingredients I don't know. It's not something I can stick to 100% but I am definitely making better choices.
  • bmatsumoto
    bmatsumoto Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    clean means lean, healthy food - high protein, good complex carbs, typically low fat - unless its the good fats which i don't worry about